Pubs near the Sheffield Wednesday ground that have shut

On 30/11/2012 at 11:24, fatbloke no1 said:

just thinking fair few have shut ,wonderd if you can remember them or any more and your memorys of them.the royal -opposite dogs,remember going in after dogs when sunderland where in semi next day rammed with them,landlord stayed open all night for them,top lads still boozing next morning.think called victoria just before park in row of terraced house was very small like going in some ones front room.

the rose-turned into rough pub towards end,remember bloke on door with alsation on big match days.the masons(capell)-top pub allways good atmosphere.the cambridge-along tailtone road-even in bad old days when poor crowds allways boarded windows up even if playing likes of orient.

the gate-my favourite allways rammed with top lads and used to run top away day coaches.travellers-much same as gate.all are sadly missed ,be good to here other peoples memorys of these or others i may have missed

Some good ones there mate

Owlstalk Shop

On 30/11/2012 at 17:16, Sham67 said:

Incorrect. Supermarkets selling at less than cost price is the cause. Take away the licence to sell alcohol from supermarkets and watch pubs boom.

Name me a pub or WMC that can compete with Supermarket Booze, a Pizza delivered to the door and Netflix?.

Sad these pubs have gone, slightly envious i never got to go in them on a match day moved out of Sheffield at 14 and would have been driving after 17.

Had many a good time in the TBI on matchdays with mates but its not the same when its another team. 

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

Name me a pub or WMC that can compete with Supermarket Booze, a Pizza delivered to the door and Netflix?.

That’s the point I was making.  They sell alcohol at a loss to generate sales of other items.  If supermarkets had their licenses to sell alcohol revoked.  Pubs would boom.  Personally I rarely drink in the house. 

16 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

No. They were the White Bear, Stocks and the Griffin. Only The Stocks remains.

The Ball was next to The Greyhound pub across from the shops.

The Ball is a Vets now.

If those walls could talk dogs & cats would run a mile.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Was it before the road widening?

I think it was mate, that’s probably why they pulled ot down and rebuilt. Shame they didn’t build like for like, mind you it was still a half decent pub. I lived up in Foxhill so we used to venture down a lot, not just match days.

• Love 1