Pubs near the Sheffield Wednesday ground that have shut

10 hours ago, Salli said:

Your strategy for pub survival, is the closure of pubs? I'll pass that on!

It’s a free market economy

Consumers are turning their backs on the traditional pub.  The generation coming through are turning their backs on alcohol

If there isn’t the demand for a pub it either adapts or closes.  If the demand is there it will survive. 

My issue is the contention that supermarkets should be forced to increase their prices to make pubs more attractive which is something you have alluded to and is something that haunted Wetherspoons scarecrow bangs on about relentlessly.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Salli said:

They're struggling too, and generally have very reduced opening hours

New ones opening doesn't mean much. Both breweries within a 5 minute walk of mine have recently shut (1 of them as recently as yesterday), yet new ones continue to pop up because it's a passion

We had 3 pubs going into the pandemic. 1 of them pre-dates me but shut because it didn't come anywhere near recovering. Its since been taken on by someone else but fares no better now despite being located right next to the castle.

1 of our other 2 pubs - a micropub located just off the marketplace - has to be heavily subsidised by the brewery through the summer due to lack of outdoor space, but does catch up enough in the winter to break even. Our other micropub located just outside of town is more stable and provides a living for it's staff but doesn't really make anything beyond that.

Our biggest customer after our own pubs is a traditional place, in a Nottingham suburb and are making noises about not renewing their lease in the summer due to increased rent. Our next biggest after that is probably Games Workshop who have just struck a deal with Buddweiser so I'm anticipating a downturn for us there too

We stopped opening our onsite taproom on non-matchdays because it was nowhere near worth it, even despite not paying ourselves to man the bar. Our most local taproom is in considerable debt, though I have no idea about the others

Regarding supermarkets, we stopped supplying Co-Ops because they refused to renegotiate our pricing agreement three years running. By the end of the contract we were making 6 (six) to 8 (eight) pence per bottle.

Obviously I'm a consumer aswell, thus equally guilty of enjoying variation over sticking to one beer all night, and occasionally utilise the convenience of Tesco where I live. So I think I have a fairly rounded viewpoint on the whole, without *too* much resentment or bias

Saw on Facebook this morning about forty foot reopening in a few weeks btw, whether true or not.

you can drink in games workshop? warhammer place?

58 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

It’s a free market economy

Consumers are turning their backs on the traditional pub.  The generation coming through are turning their backs on alcohol

If there isn’t the demand for a pub it either adapts or closes.  If the demand is there it will survive. 

My issue is the contention that supermarkets should be forced to increase their prices to make pubs more attractive which is something you have alluded to and is something that haunted Wetherspoons scarecrow bangs on about relentlessly.

You're not really adding anything of insight though. You said that if pubs don't adapt to changing customer habits then they will close. Which is what everyone already knows and agrees with

I asked how do you think they should go about adapting, but then you just repeated yourself?

I've taken no issue with the way supermarkets go about things, apologies if I worded it clumsily. They aren't forcing breweries to sell their product and if mine could scale up x 100 I'd probably go that route too. I said I occasionally buy beer from supermarkets also, and would do so more often if I didnt have access to better beer for free through the trade. What I suggested was that I see them as being THE primary reason for pubs facing an uphill climb.

Spoons? In the dressing room I was complimentary about them as a business, and said that their custom is critical to our survival. They take volume, are transparent, and pay on time every time.

Edited by Salli
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

you can drink in games workshop? warhammer place?

Yeah! Sorta.

Not in the normal highstreet shops or whatever but they have a huge head office on the edge of Nottingham. Impressively large games rooms, megastore on more than one floor, and a big bar / restaurant. They sell their own range of beers on draft and in bottles, cept it's our core range repackaged in their artwork

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Salli said:

Yeah! Sorta.

Not in the normal highstreet shops or whatever but they have a huge head office on the edge of Nottingham. Impressively large games rooms, megastore on more than one floor, and a big bar / restaurant. They sell their own range of beers on draft and in bottles, cept it's our core range repackaged in their artwork

sounds awesome 

Isn’t the biggest issue with pubs the fact the younger element don’t bother anymore? They seem far more interesting gyms, gaming etc. in reality 25 years ago there wasn’t a great deal else to do other than go to the pub. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vulva said:

Isn’t the biggest issue with pubs the fact the younger element don’t bother anymore? They seem far more interesting gyms, gaming etc. in reality 25 years ago there wasn’t a great deal else to do other than go to the pub. 

it's a big reason. Also a big reason why the birth rate is dropping as people aren't meeting people. Lots of single people

9 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Their place in Nottingham is fun. 

Unsurprisingly the Venn diagram of wargaming types and CAMRA types has quite a lot of crossover.

I'm a fan of neither 🫢

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, vulva said:

Yeh bang on
Loads more interesting things for younger ones to do now

Owlstalk Shop

12 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeh bang on
Loads more interesting things for younger ones to do now

Like Warhammer?  

Although more seriously there is a board game pub opened up here recently that seems to be doing well.  Maybe that's one solution.  More places with other stuff to do in the pub rather than just drink.

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

you don't like your beer?

I like most of our beer haha.

I mean I'm deffo not a massive Camra fan.

Don't know much about warhammer, but always see people playing with their painted figures on delivery days. Also noted that it isn't a cheaphobby judging by the shop!

18 minutes ago, Salli said:

Also noted that it isn't a cheaphobby judging by the shop!

This is true.  A decent sized coke habit would be kinder on your bank balance.

But it's (mostly) the cost of still making everything domestically rather than getting a factory in the Far East to churn out your little plastic toy soldiers.

Not sure how much the clientele are going to appreciate being served up fizzy rice water instead of beer, though.

3 hours ago, Salli said:

You're not really adding anything of insight though. You said that if pubs don't adapt to changing customer habits then they will close. Which is what everyone already knows and agrees with

I asked how do you think they should go about adapting, but then you just repeated yourself?

I've taken no issue with the way supermarkets go about things, apologies if I worded it clumsily. They aren't forcing breweries to sell their product and if mine could scale up x 100 I'd probably go that route too. I said I occasionally buy beer from supermarkets also, and would do so more often if I didnt have access to better beer for free through the trade. What I suggested was that I see them as being THE primary reason for pubs facing an uphill climb.

Spoons? In the dressing room I was complimentary about them as a business, and said that their custom is critical to our survival. They take volume, are transparent, and pay on time every time.

Well Neil rather covered most of the things that pubs could do adapt, I didn’t think it was necessary to repeat them.  I’ve also said that there needs to be less of them, so many are just zombie businesses.  Quality not quantity.

Tim Martin has a campaign to force supermarkets to raise their prices/be taxed more to make his product more attractive.

21 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

They need to offer food first and foremost 

Also regular new reasons to visit (special nights, good entertainment, sports teams, food nights, movie nights etc)

and most importantly need to learn how to market themselves (social media, YouTube, podcasts etc) as I don’t know of a single pub that does this right 

also be nicer places to be - eg when you walk In don’t have signs up saying ‘toilets for our customers only’ and don’t have signs in the pub toilets warning about ‘don’t do drugs in this pub or we will call the cops’ etc 

sell coffees of all types and even smoothies as people want healthier things these days 

A successful pub near me offers food by inviting local vendors to do pop up events.

This works well because the menu is constantly changing. 

Eg they have an Indian night , a Greek food event.

The pub make some kind of cut on the food or charge a hosting  fee its a great sucess. The place is packed when these are on. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Geedee said:

A successful pub near me offers food by inviting local vendors to do pop up events.

This works well because the menu is constantly changing. 

Eg they have an Indian night , a Greek food event.

The pub make some kind of cut on the food or charge a hosting  fee its a great sucess. The place is packed when these are on. 

Deffo worth doing, or street vans where appropriate. Most micropubs probably don't have kitchen facilities though 

Of our 4 pubs incl taproom, only one had a kitchen. Ironically it's the one that did *not* survive.

We do sometimes order hot Indian food locally for the taproom (huge Samosas, Pakoras, Bhajis etc) for the bigger County fixtures which makes us a few extra pennies.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Salli said:

Yeah! Sorta.

What’s your brewery called mate?