Pubs near the Sheffield Wednesday ground that have shut

Just now, modboy said:

Guessing lunch trade is well down on past generations. 

Gone are the days of a beer or two during your lunch break 

Good point

But brings another thought into it...

A lot of people that used to frequent pubs at night, now go out at around 2 o'clockish and go home earlier, rather than have a "night out".

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, modboy said:

Guessing lunch trade is well down on past generations. 

Gone are the days of a beer or two during your lunch break 

Huge increase in people whom WFH post pandemic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Salli said:

It's supermarkets. Beer duty. Changing attitudes towards drink driving. Huge macro breweries snapping up pubs and charging unrealistic rent. Health awareness. Rising costs for breweries.

Exactly it’s killing it.

4 hours ago, everydays_wednesday said:

Wordsworth Road !!!!!!

if someone had told me this was from Vic and Bobs big night out, I would have believed it !!!!

Wordsworth avenue for the pedants out there….

6 hours ago, modboy said:

Just build a Lidl there 

You’ll not be surprised to know there’s a Lidl about two minutes drive from there. It’s been there yonks. 

Used to go in with my dad before the match late 60s early 70's before match as a nipper ,later went on their fishing matches and played football for them. 

Started going in and off before and matches in late 90's when I started going with my dad again. 

Went in last after Cardiff game and saw closure notices. End of an era sadly not enough people go in pubs anymore so it's going to continue happening. 

• Thanks 1

On 14/02/2023 at 19:00, @owlstalk said:

81FF066E-AEB6-4360-A1D9-A413313DC48C.jpeg

He used to come in Oughtibridge working men's club back in the day on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. 

3 hours ago, MAL said:

Good point

But brings another thought into it...

A lot of people that used to frequent pubs at night, now go out at around 2 o'clockish and go home earlier, rather than have a "night out".

This. Only change 2 for 9am😃

12 hours ago, Plonk said:

Having left the pub trade just before covid, you are right.. unless you own it outright you are just making money for somebody else. And despite what people think it's bloody hard work and daft hours, and if you do well and start to make money all your bills go up accordingly.

During covid so many people built their own bars in their gardens. A lot of those won't return to pubs now. 

It's very sad but I think the British pubis on its last legs. 

Sad but you are right. Wherever my pals and I meet up we try to do local non chain pubs and many of them (plus the odd wetherspoons to keep costs down). But finding these pubs open is becoming harder each year

Edited by unkastav

21 minutes ago, unkastav said:

This. Only change 2 for 9am😃

No 😄

I'd maybe change it to 12.00 for some, i am talking a fair few people, but not earlier.

Sad to see Forty Foot close. Very popular match days. Where will all those who park there go now? Will it reopen!? Can't be doing very well weekdays.

Sad. Feels like we loose memories, our history and culture. Some should never have been allowed to be knocked down.

I don't understand why the Travellers was allowed to be knocked down. Was always busy.

Why knock down The Old Blue Ball? Very popular and now just a derelict gap!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kevowls1 said:

Sad to see Forty Foot close. Very popular match days. Where will all those who park there go now? Will it reopen!? Can't be doing very well weekdays.

Sad. Feels like we loose memories, our history and culture. Some should never have been allowed to be knocked down.

I don't understand why the Travellers was allowed to be knocked down. Was always busy.

Why knock down The Old Blue Ball? Very popular and now just a derelict gap!

Travellers was just beginning to show signs of being a decent business for Wheeney then Enterprise Inns did what they normally do and upped everything. Was all part of the Sainsbury's master plan.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

Travellers was just beginning to show signs of being a decent business for Wheeney then Enterprise Inns did what they normally do and upped everything. Was all part of the Sainsbury's master plan.

The pub Co's enterprise, star,punch and all the others are massively culpable in the mass pub closures. 

The business plan is to hold on to the buildings until property prices hit a premium then sell to developers. 

• Love 1

29 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

He got his own back with the self funded bottle bar round the back though. 

RIP  big lad. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, theowlsman said:

The almond milk, soya, and sparkling mineral water brigade killed pubs. 

Too many breweries spent too much money on changing things to accommodate them. Then had to close down traditional pubs to pay for the changes introduced that did not bring in extra revenue as they just wanted to hang about for 6 hours clutching the same drink for hours on end.

Pubs were about a pint going down the neck every 30 mins.

Consumer tastes change and business refuses to adapt shocker

8 hours ago, Salli said:

It's supermarkets. Beer duty. Changing attitudes towards drink driving. Huge macro breweries snapping up pubs and charging unrealistic rent. Health awareness. Rising costs for breweries.

8 hours ago, Salli said:

Smoking ban.

Changing attitudes, health awareness and the smoking ban are huge positives.

It’s up to the licensed trade to adapt.  If they can’t, they won’t survive.  They’re not owed a living.

Edited by Big Malc

30 minutes ago, Big Malc said:

Changing attitudes, health anwareness and the smoking ban are huge positives.

It’s up to the licensed trade to adapt.  If they can’t, they won’t survive.  They’re not owed a living.

I responded to the presumably tongue in cheek comment that pub struggles - and the industry as a whole - is down to hipsters and vegans.

Nobody mentioned anybody being owed a loving.

How should pubs best adapt do you think?

• Like 1