Pubs near the Sheffield Wednesday ground that have shut

1 hour ago, lambownumber5 said:

There's a couple of pictures of the strippers if you scroll down to the last couple of photos at the bottom of this link.

Any of these jugs jogg your memory?:

https://billstephenson.co.uk/social-documentary/the-dial-house-sports-and-social-club-sheffield-1983/ 

WMC-008@x2.jpg

This one?
Surprised she got work - one of them is way lower down than the other

• Haha 3

Owlstalk Shop

On 25/03/2020 at 21:27, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 21.26.08.jpg

Screenshot 2020-03-25 at 21.25.45.jpg

THE BEEHIVE

A bit further away - up the hill from the ground - did anyone booze here before/after matches?

Went on coach from beehive to friendly at Celtic 90s on the way back stopped at Carlisle they had organised a buffet at the social club at Carlisle ground then spent the night in Carlisle great trip 🦉

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ron springett said:

Went on coach from beehive to friendly at Celtic 90s on the way back stopped at Carlisle they had organised a buffet at the social club at Carlisle ground then spent the night in Carlisle great trip 🦉

Beehive used was my pre match boozer. Their hand pulled Magnet was to die for. 

A bit further afield but still within a ten minute walk were the Wadsley Jack, run by Jack Whitham, and the Rose and Crown, run by another Wednesday legend, Ted Catlin.

The R&C was refurbished after Ted died but it still attracted quite a few fans before matches.

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2021-04-13 at 13.40.20.jpg

Brilliant link for the information about " The Dial " and one of my locals here with the Gate next door.  Bloody hell i've sunk a few jars in each !! lol  Then if the chippy was open still on Leppings lane.... cake chips n peas !! 

Edited by quinnssweetshop
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Musn't Grumble said:

A bit further afield but still within a ten minute walk were the Wadsley Jack, run by Jack Whitham, and the Rose and Crown, run by another Wednesday legend, Ted Catlin.

The R&C was refurbished after Ted died but it still attracted quite a few fans before matches.

I've not been in this thread for a while so might have missed something, but I thought that it was about pubs near the ground that have shut.  Both of these are close to my house and are definitely not shut.

I went in the Top House (Rose & Crown) when Ted had it, I still go in now occasionally, and also Wadsley Jack when Jack Whitham was landlord.  Jack moved in to a house across the road from me when he vacated the Wadsley Jack and became steward at Niagara Sports & Social Club.

11 minutes ago, wisewoodowl said:

I've not been in this thread for a while so might have missed something, but I thought that it was about pubs near the ground that have shut.  Both of these are close to my house and are definitely not shut.

I went in the Top House (Rose & Crown) when Ted had it, I still go in now occasionally, and also Wadsley Jack when Jack Whitham was landlord.  Jack moved in to a house across the road from me when he vacated the Wadsley Jack and became steward at Niagara Sports & Social Club.

Haven't been up to Wadsley for many years, although I used to play football for the R&C back in the 70s, so thanks for putting me right in that they had not closed.

I was speaking to someone a while back who told me that they had shut. A good reason now to pay a visit, methinks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, panda800 said:

Which pub did tommy Tynan have near wadey Bridge?

Tommy had the trans for a while didn’t he? Can you imagine players now thinks it would be a good idea to run a pub when they finish playing?

43 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Pretty sure I saw the Railway open the other day

Yep, definitely up and running again.

A bit further afield, but I sure do miss the Non-Pots on Eccy Road. Probably 50/50 Owls and Blunts, but a good laugh and the occasional decent turn. The brewery’s used to play ‘pass the parcel’ with it, lending the club money in the hope that it would go pop whilst they had it, thereby giving them the opportunity to redevelop. Grim.

Not far from there, the Banner used to have a staunch Wednesdayite called Roger running it. Unfortunately he retired, and it’s now apparently gone over to the dark side.

Thinking of joining Crookes Club. I hear that it’s still going ok. Always associate that place with the Gutter Band Christmas shows. Epic!

On 13/04/2021 at 17:22, Musn't Grumble said:

Haven't been up to Wadsley for many years, although I used to play football for the R&C back in the 70s, so thanks for putting me right in that they had not closed.

I was speaking to someone a while back who told me that they had shut. A good reason now to pay a visit, methinks!

I’m frequently in R&C, aka Top House...you’ll been told right, it’s open now but is often changing management, closing down for a bit, lick of paint, back open again, new management, loads of promises, closes again. It’s a common cycle with the place, unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

On 14/04/2021 at 22:38, panda800 said:

Which pub did tommy Tynan have near wadey Bridge?

Tommy Tynan had the Horse & Jockey on Wadsley Lane. I asked him for his autograph and he gave me a signed copy of his autobiography (having read it, I assume he had quite a large number to shift). 

56 minutes ago, talon said:

A bit further afield, but I sure do miss the Non-Pots on Eccy Road. Probably 50/50 Owls and Blunts, but a good laugh and the occasional decent turn. The brewery’s used to play ‘pass the parcel’ with it, lending the club money in the hope that it would go pop whilst they had it, thereby giving them the opportunity to redevelop. Grim.

Not far from there, the Banner used to have a staunch Wednesdayite called Roger running it. Unfortunately he retired, and it’s now apparently gone over to the dark side.

Thinking of joining Crookes Club. I hear that it’s still going ok. Always associate that place with the Gutter Band Christmas shows. Epic!

non pots! theres a blast from the past , I used to go there to watch strongheart and Big chill.

5 minutes ago, Lythamowl said:

non pots! theres a blast from the past , I used to go there to watch strongheart and Big chill.

Strongheart were excellent, and used to pack the place out. Until the idiots running the club decided to refurb the concert room, and then barred them from playing in case the new seats got damaged!

• Like 1