Sunderland 'interested' in appointing Sheffield Wednesday manager Danny Röhl

2 hours ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

I think it's just talk. 

Look, Röhl is a smart guy. He would have done his homework before coming here, he would have spoken to people in the know and he would have set his expectations accordingly. He knew the challenge he'd be facing. For crying out loud the guy has signed a contract until next summer! 

I think it's likely that he has sat down with Chansiri and laid out his plan to make the club work, but both men are waiting to see how the season pans out. If we are in league 1 it's unlikely there will be much change behind the scenes and he will probably be offered a role in a top championship side and go. If we are still a championship side, there will be investment and he'll get what he needs.

Even Chansiri, for all his failings must see that he has to invest to make the club work and If he's serious about making things work, he'll listen to Röhl. 

I really do think these next few months could be absolutely huge for the club. We lose Röhl, we are stuck in the league 1 mire. We keep Röhl, playoffs or automatics next season. 

100% agreed. 
I don’t think we will go down but wherever we are next season I hope DC has a wake up call.

He’s possibly got best young manager in English football to work with. Opportunities like this don’t come along too often 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

One club is well run, has a chairman willing to spend money and back his manager, they have a good staduim, facilities and regularly get 30,000+ because the ticket prices are not top wack. 

They other is Sheffield Wednesday and has none of these things.

I think depending how the next 8 games go and how DC behaves in the summer i.e. does he invest in the club and the team, or does he once again do the bare minimum. If its the later, I wish Danny well in his next job and feel no ill feeling to him wanting to go elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

There are a few managers who Sunderland are ‘interested in’. Not just DR. Amazingly it happens quite frequently in football. It’s also astonishing how many managers get the boot when results start to slide. Surely being a club manager should be a ‘job for life’? 😂

4 hours ago, fpowl said:

or me I think it will all come down to the post season chat and planning.DR is going to want to see progression on and off the pitch this summer and would expect a plan in place to develop the facilities, infrastructure and playing squad. I think he would more than happily stay even if this ( which would be obvious ) is spread over time

I think you're right and for that very reason he will most likely realise there is no plan, no thought about future or development and very possibly be faced with a decision to move where there is all that.

aware their chairman is a bit nuts too, but on paper they can offer DR a lot more there on paper. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he left us. Whilst DC remains here we wont improve, we are stagnating awaiting the worst....

Edited by Mr. Chow

5 hours ago, room0035 said:

One club is well run, has a chairman willing to spend money and back his manager, they have a good staduim, facilities and regularly get 30,000+ because the ticket prices are not top wack. 

They other is Sheffield Wednesday and has none of these things.

I think depending how the next 8 games go and how DC behaves in the summer i.e. does he invest in the club and the team, or does he once again do the bare minimum. If its the later, I wish Danny well in his next job and feel no ill feeling to him wanting to go elsewhere.

Averaging 41k this season Sunderland, ridiculous really, not even having a great season either.

6 hours ago, prowl said:

I admire your optimism but play offs is a big ask, too big in my mind. Auto's is far outside the possible from where we are.

We need a thorough overhaul of the playing staff. Only Bernard in the defence is play off standard and he might well leave.   Poveda, is good enough if we can sign him, Gasasama and Musaba could make it but they need more experience, same with Cadamarteri. Ugbo potentially could hack it,. That's my opinion, obviously others will disagree. All the others are either aging or not at that level.  It leave us with an awful lot of new faces coming in, they will take time to find their feet and develop as a team.

i read it as though he meant in league one 😂

44 minutes ago, alleycat said:

If he does leave it won’t be to go to Sunderland.

Steve Cooper will be their next manager.

Sounds about right. They've got to show a bit more patience next season though with the sackings, quite like them as a club but no way do they have a divine right to be in the top 6, I'm surprised that was the expectation this season really.

Feel like it's reached the point in the Championship now though where people are sacked for not overachieving. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

Not sure I agree with this.

I don’t know how much money Sunderland have, but they’re ambitious. They’ve also got a great set up and one of the biggest stadiums in the country with a fanbase that can fill it. 

Pretty young and talented squad too by all accounts.. 

Everything is ready to go at Sunderland and I think you can make a real case that going there, getting your feet under the table, making a success of it and taking them up has more appeal than just waiting for, I dunno, the Palace or Fulham job to crop up. 

I don’t know if Sunderland want Röhl or not but it feels like a good fit if they do, and unfortunately for us I think it would be a no brainer for him.

Yeah that's my point, it would be perfect for Röhl.

It would be a step too low for Still though, right now.

1 hour ago, alleycat said:

If he does leave it won’t be to go to Sunderland.

Steve Cooper will be their next manager.

Thanks for that, it's great to read someone who is "in the know" 🤓🍻

I wonder if our resisident Mackem visitor @Safcfaninpeace can shed any light on this?

I know they were delighted to get shot of Beale, but this news about DR may come as a surprise to those on Wearside as well.

Could well be (as others have already said), just a case of The Sheffield Stir stirring it again. Must be a slow news week from a local football point, what with the international break,,so they have to find something to write about. Or make up....

He should go. Better, bigger club. Better stadium. They’ll be back in the premiership in my lifetime. Wednesday as they are,never will. 
Chansiri out please. Ta very much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, briggowl said:

I think you're right and for that very reason he will most likely realise there is no plan, no thought about future or development and very possibly be faced with a decision to move where there is all that.

Can’t argue with that at all 

3 hours ago, Pete Zarhutt said:

I wonder if our resisident Mackem visitor @Safcfaninpeace can shed any light on this?

I know they were delighted to get shot of Beale, but this news about DR may come as a surprise to those on Wearside as well.

Could well be (as others have already said), just a case of The Sheffield Stir stirring it again. Must be a slow news week from a local football point, what with the international break,,so they have to find something to write about. Or make up....

As I said earlier in the thread, this originally appeared in iNews, then Sunderland Echo picked up on it and lastly The Star so can't agree about them stirring it again. 

• Like 1