Sunderland 'interested' in appointing Sheffield Wednesday manager Danny Röhl

I think it's just talk. 

Look, Röhl is a smart guy. He would have done his homework before coming here, he would have spoken to people in the know and he would have set his expectations accordingly. He knew the challenge he'd be facing. For crying out loud the guy has signed a contract until next summer! 

I think it's likely that he has sat down with Chansiri and laid out his plan to make the club work, but both men are waiting to see how the season pans out. If we are in league 1 it's unlikely there will be much change behind the scenes and he will probably be offered a role in a top championship side and go. If we are still a championship side, there will be investment and he'll get what he needs.

Even Chansiri, for all his failings must see that he has to invest to make the club work and If he's serious about making things work, he'll listen to Röhl. 

I really do think these next few months could be absolutely huge for the club. We lose Röhl, we are stuck in the league 1 mire. We keep Röhl, playoffs or automatics next season. 

• Haha 4

If he keeps us up I think that he’ll stay. A couple of months ago he gave a heart warming interview where he said that spiritually Wednesday feels like the right club for him and his family. 
Having said that, I think that when he visits clubs like Ipswich, Leicester, Southampton etc and he notices all the modern facilities plus the fabulous conditions of their pitches and training facilities and then he compares it with Wednesdays crumbling infrastructure he must have his head turned.

• Like 1

Him and his back room staff would be a perfect fit for Sunderland and the club a great fit for him, he’d have the platform and firm foundation needed  there , another great fan base and solid and modern infrastructure in the training medical and academy  facilities, I’d wish him the very best if he was to leave , he’s worked miracles here even if we are relegated, the task was ridiculously large thanks to the stewardship of the club .

10 minutes ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

I think it's just talk. 

Look, Röhl is a smart guy. He would have done his homework before coming here, he would have spoken to people in the know and he would have set his expectations accordingly. He knew the challenge he'd be facing. For crying out loud the guy has signed a contract until next summer! 

I think it's likely that he has sat down with Chansiri and laid out his plan to make the club work, but both men are waiting to see how the season pans out. If we are in league 1 it's unlikely there will be much change behind the scenes and he will probably be offered a role in a top championship side and go. If we are still a championship side, there will be investment and he'll get what he needs.

Even Chansiri, for all his failings must see that he has to invest to make the club work and If he's serious about making things work, he'll listen to Röhl. 

I really do think these next few months could be absolutely huge for the club. We lose Röhl, we are stuck in the league 1 mire. We keep Röhl, playoffs or automatics next season. 

I agree with a lot of this. That said I just can’t see DC being owner for much longer. No way will he put up with the rules likely to be enforced by the new football regulator?

9 minutes ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

I think it's just talk. 

Big assumptions - he's never listened to anyone other than Paxo, and after over 9 years at the helm we are in a far worst position on and off the pitch than when he bought us.

As for Röhl, only time we tell. He's done well we a fairly poor championship team, and we have a chance to cling on and stay up. Whether he's the new messiah is another thing - we simply haven't had time to assess his overall capabilities as he and us are in a dog fight, rather than a simple mid-table play out season. That's where we were in 2014/15 when DC bought us with Stuart Grey keeping us ticking over.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Might be a bigger risk of him going with Hansi Flick to Barcelona or Manchester utd....he has plenty of time to be a manager 

Good point well made. 

12 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Might be a bigger risk of him going with Hansi Flick to Barcelona or Manchester utd....he has plenty of time to be a manager 

Nah sell to Red bull in the summer Hansi Flick  can come here as director of football. 

Lump on. 

13 hours ago, Rogers said:

The only good thing is that he has is the fans backing. 

It’s like working in an office with a manger who is horrific to work for, you’ve been given an old broken laptop, no phone, and a chair with three legs, the pay is crap and you have no prospects or career plan. But one of your clients thinks you’re doing a great job. 

Are you going to stay? 

Simple answer NO!

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

They must have heard Röhl speaking about the facilities here when he did his 'COME AND GET ME" interview the other day

That’s exactly what it was. He won’t quit he will entice clubs to come in for him. 

Röhl deserves to work in a professional environment, I don't know enough about Sunderland, but for sure Chansiri's business isn't. 

Chansiri's abhorrent version of our club is the Sheffield equivalent of Glasgow's Willy Wonka experience.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

I think he's enjoying being a manager, I doubt he would choose to be a No 2 again. 

If we stay up I think he will honour his contract unless he isn't supported in bringing players in. If a BIG club comes in for him he would go but I don't think that is likely until he's got more experience. 

I don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility that DC will fire him because he didn't get us into the play offs. Don't laugh, I really think DC is that far out oif touch with reality.

(I'm a bad customer) 

2 hours ago, briggowl said:

I mean if you're impressed by support then surely Sunderland is the only place you'd go after Wednesday.

Even as a Wednesday fan I'd be considering whether my skills are better off at a side with better owners that don't micro manage the club into stagnation.

He's a matter of months into his managerial career, he's done well and adored by the fan base, in part because of how bad the previous manager was, let's be honest he couldn't really lose. 

Should he move to another Championship club then its not guaranteed the players buy into what he's doing, fans won't be as patient etc so it would increase risk so far as he's concerned. 

I'm hoping he's from the Klopp camp and spends many years building and improving before leaving for better things. 

I just don't see a prem club coming in for him at this stage, probably mid champ like Sunderland but I'd like to think he'd back himself to achieve at least that with us so why take the risk.

I just want to see a Danny Röhl team with a preseason under its belt and some permanent signings to fit his system. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fablon Dunlop said:

I think it's just talk. 

I admire your optimism but play offs is a big ask, too big in my mind. Auto's is far outside the possible from where we are.

We need a thorough overhaul of the playing staff. Only Bernard in the defence is play off standard and he might well leave.   Poveda, is good enough if we can sign him, Gasasama and Musaba could make it but they need more experience, same with Cadamarteri. Ugbo potentially could hack it,. That's my opinion, obviously others will disagree. All the others are either aging or not at that level.  It leave us with an awful lot of new faces coming in, they will take time to find their feet and develop as a team.

If we go down it will not in my opinion be down to Danny ,Chansiri  the football expert could have appointed Röhl at the start of the season ,But in his infinite wisdom picked Cisco .As its already been said  better training facilities ,Better run club Danny would be a fool not to leave if given the chance ,We will never never get to the premier with this owner in charge .

I think a lot of people put their own agenda and thoughts and maybe see DR I’m having the same motives which isn’t exactly right imo 

for me I think it will all come down to the post season chat and planning.DR is going to want to see progression on and off the pitch this summer and would expect a plan in place to develop the facilities, infrastructure and playing squad. I think he would more than happily stay even if this ( which would be obvious ) is spread over time

if chansiri whimpers into next season with 80% of the squad out of contract and no budget or improved budget to work with and a lack of investment into the back of house. DR and rightly so will find it better for himself to move on 

he’s worked wonders this year he will want progression not to stagnate.

theres noway chansiri will be selling especially no this independent regulator is hanging a potential increase in premiership money coming his way. He’d be a fool to turn that down…..,wait a minute 

If they want him they’d have to pay for him and they have been reluctant in the past. He would fit their approach generally and he was an obvious candidate for “interest” as soon as Beale left but they do need a compliant manager there to carry out the decisions that Dreyfus and Speakmann make