Sunderland 'interested' in appointing Sheffield Wednesday manager Danny Röhl

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

sunderland fans  must be thrilled at the news ......

56 minutes ago, Furious George said:

Fair. That doesn't make him very hot commodity though. 

The Brighton boss is hot commodity. Doing at the highest level and playing decent football.

We've moved one place up since he took charge and still favourites to get relegated. 

Again please don't read this as some kind of complaint, but the way we fans are bigging him up, to me just shows how much crap we've put up with beforehand. 

I'm guessing as a Sunderland fan you'd look and be pretty nonplussed. 

I know some of our fans are deluded, but Sunderland take the biscuit. Probably the most deluded fanbase in the country.

As soon as I told my Mackem mate about this he responded "nah, we're getting Will Still". They're convinced that a promising young manager at a decent French club, doing well in what is (behind PSG) a competitive league, will come to England to manage them rather than waiting for a PL job - which will inevitably come.

3 minutes ago, Owl.1867 said:

I know some of our fans are deluded, but Sunderland take the biscuit. Probably the most deluded fanbase in the country.

As soon as I told my Mackem mate about this he responded "nah, we're getting Will Still". They're convinced that a promising young manager at a decent French club, doing well in what is (behind PSG) a competitive league, will come to England to manage them rather than waiting for a PL job - which will inevitably come.

From the original iNews article

'It leaves plenty of questions for influential director of football Kristjaan Speakman – the architect of the club’s project – and owner Kyril Louis-Dreyfus. Both are tasked with finding a new permanent manager and i understands there is interest in Reims boss Will Still, who was linked with the job before Beale’s appointment, along with Sheffield Wednesday’s Danny Röhl and an unnamed Belgian managerial target that the club have carried out background checks on.'

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/west-ham-transfer-jack-clarke-sunderland-2968504

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

They must have heard Röhl speaking about the facilities here when he did his 'COME AND GET ME" interview the other day

Amazon commission not going well?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Owl.1867 said:

Not sure I agree with this.

I don’t know how much money Sunderland have, but they’re ambitious. They’ve also got a great set up and one of the biggest stadiums in the country with a fanbase that can fill it. 

Pretty young and talented squad too by all accounts.. 

Everything is ready to go at Sunderland and I think you can make a real case that going there, getting your feet under the table, making a success of it and taking them up has more appeal than just waiting for, I dunno, the Palace or Fulham job to crop up. 

I don’t know if Sunderland want Röhl or not but it feels like a good fit if they do, and unfortunately for us I think it would be a no brainer for him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Not sure I agree with this.

I don’t know how much money Sunderland have, but they’re ambitious. They’ve also got a great set up and one of the biggest stadiums in the country with a fanbase that can fill it. 

Pretty young and talented squad too by all accounts.. 

Everything is ready to go at Sunderland and I think you can make a real case that going there, getting your feet under the table, making a success of it and taking them up has more appeal than just waiting for, I dunno, the Palace or Fulham job to crop up. 

I don’t know if Sunderland want Röhl or not but it feels like a good fit if they do, and unfortunately for us I think it would be a no brainer for him.

Their newish owner is reportedly worth £2 billion but, interestingly like many have believed regarding our owner, it's inherited wealth. 

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/how-did-sunderland-owner-kyril-louis-dreyfus-make-his-money/#:~:text=Louis-Dreyfus did not generate,the majority shareholder of Marseille.

50 minutes ago, Ian_D said:

Amazon commission not going well?

I'd like to ask about that but assumed my posts would be removed. 

Support the local independent traders etc ?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be fair, if Danny keeps us up then he deserves the interest.

We have to be realistic. If we go down he will probably leave. If we stay up he will probably leave but he will have done a magnificent job for us, albeit futile in the long term.

It's not just him though, it's his whole team who are likely responsible for restarting the clubs heart. They'd all be a big loss.

Sunderland, I'm not sure, also a bit of a basket case of a club and probably not as much job security. Will simply depend on whether Röhl thinks he's ready for that. Does he want to jump at the first chance or be seen as a more long term builder.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Mystic Neg said:

To be fair, if Danny keeps us up then he deserves the interest.

We have to be realistic. If we go down he will probably leave. If we stay up he will probably leave but he will have done a magnificent job for us, albeit futile in the long term.

It's not just him though, it's his whole team who are likely responsible for restarting the clubs heart. They'd all be a big loss.

Sunderland, I'm not sure, also a bit of a basket case of a club and probably not as much job security. Will simply depend on whether Röhl thinks he's ready for that. Does he want to jump at the first chance or be seen as a more long term builder.

TBF we are oft named a sleeping giant (with justification) but let's be honest Sunderland are a sleeping behemoth in comparison. I wouldn't blame him if he went should he be approached. The manager that finally gets them to where they belong to be will be a Mackem legend. 

Hard to turn down such an opportunity.

Edited by Almat

4 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Sunderland have ambitions to get back to the Premier League, the rate of managers they've gone through this season shows mid-table isn't accepted, even if Röhl keeps us up, he'd have to seriously consider it. Always a difficult job there though, just like it is here. Arguably two of the most difficult clubs to manage in this country. 

I think the only thing you could say that is some kind of advantage here is the fanbase maybe isn't as vociferous here than it is up there.

Other than that, I can't think of a single factor that would keep him here over Sunderland other than loyalty to the fact we gave him that first chance.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

I think the only thing you could say that is some kind of advantage here is the fanbase maybe isn't as vociferous here than it is up there.

Other than that, I can't think of a single factor that would keep him here over Sunderland other than loyalty to the fact we gave him that first chance.

The only loyal thing in football is the fans.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, deano said:

Maybe I'm been naive but I don't think Röhl will jump ship if we're still in the championship next season, he will realise he's onto a good thing at swfc (in terms of support) and seek to build rather than leave for marginal gains. 

I mean if you're impressed by support then surely Sunderland is the only place you'd go after Wednesday.

Even as a Wednesday fan I'd be considering whether my skills are better off at a side with better owners that don't micro manage the club into stagnation.