The Antony spin debate

Growing up in the 70,s I used to love watching players like Rodney Marsh, Frank Worthington, Stan Bowles, Duncan McKenzie, Tony Currie (yes, I know :biggrin:) Alan Hudson etc.............players that would try the flamboyant rather than the mundane.

Even at "our" level we had guys Like Rodger Wylde, Willie Henderson, Terry Curran etc who would liven up a dull afternoon with their antics.

Sadly over the years i have seen this disappear, you get the odd (very apt :biggrin:) one like Matt Le Tissier or Gazza or Jay Jay Okocha but they are few and far between , and this generation bristle and howl at anyone showboating as it "DISRESPECTS" the opponent.............................oh the irony , from a bunch of footballers who, compared to their predecessors , wouldnt know "respect" if it smacked them in the chops.

Take a player like Joe Cole......................I remember when i first saw him I thought WOW......England have got one here, then Jose Mourhino got hold of him and continually dropped him until he became a robotised "working the channels" midfielder who played safe rather than the joyous number 10 we all thought he could be.

Yeah, I get it the two turns from Antony and no end product were funny..........but "disreptful ?....gimme a break.

Some of my most treasured memories of football could these days be classed as "disrespectful"............Waddle turning back to nutmeg Ryan Giggs......................his destruction of David Burrows , indeed large moments of that second half against West Ham which included a Nigel Worthington rabona FFS !!!..................the Leeds side of the 70,s annhiliation of Southampton on MOTD..................some of the famous Brazil sides, particularly the 1970 one.......................Ronhaldino and his "no look passes".......................the Willie Carr / Ernie Hunt free kick......The Cruyff turn etc, etc.

To Savage and Scholes and their like I would say lighten up FFS its an entertainment business , when did we get so f***in corporate and boring ?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and lets face it ...........if Liam Palmer did THAT today it`s all we would be talking about in the pub after:biggrin:

• Like 3

Thing is it isn’t a great piece of skill. Any 10 year old could do it he is under zero pressure could have done a 3rd or 4th before anyone got to him.

The fact he misplaced the pass afterwards is genius. 

Real skill buys you some space for takes a player out of the game. 

On 29/10/2022 at 10:48, Screen Door Slams said:

Growing up in the 70,s I used to love watching players like Rodney Marsh, Frank Worthington, Stan Bowles, Duncan McKenzie, Tony Currie (yes, I know :biggrin:) Alan Hudson etc.............players that would try the flamboyant rather than the mundane.

Even at "our" level we had guys Like Rodger Wylde, Willie Henderson, Terry Curran etc who would liven up a dull afternoon with their antics.

Sadly over the years i have seen this disappear, you get the odd (very apt :biggrin:) one like Matt Le Tissier or Gazza or Jay Jay Okocha but they are few and far between , and this generation bristle and howl at anyone showboating as it "DISRESPECTS" the opponent.............................oh the irony , from a bunch of footballers who, compared to their predecessors , wouldnt know "respect" if it smacked them in the chops.

Take a player like Joe Cole......................I remember when i first saw him I thought WOW......England have got one here, then Jose Mourhino got hold of him and continually dropped him until he became a robotised "working the channels" midfielder who played safe rather than the joyous number 10 we all thought he could be.

Yeah, I get it the two turns from Antony and no end product were funny..........but "disreptful ?....gimme a break.

Some of my most treasured memories of football could these days be classed as "disrespectful"............Waddle turning back to nutmeg Ryan Giggs......................his destruction of David Burrows , indeed large moments of that second half against West Ham which included a Nigel Worthington rabona FFS !!!..................the Leeds side of the 70,s annhiliation of Southampton on MOTD..................some of the famous Brazil sides, particularly the 1970 one.......................Ronhaldino and his "no look passes".......................the Willie Carr / Ernie Hunt free kick......The Cruyff turn etc, etc.

To Savage and Scholes and their like I would say lighten up FFS its an entertainment business , when did we get so f***in corporate and boring ?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and lets face it ...........if Liam Palmer did THAT today it`s all we would be talking about in the pub after:biggrin:

When I was a little kid my dad took us to watch a Chesterfield  match just because Frank Worthington was playing for the other team, I forget who they were. Frank did his usual pre match warm skills (flicking the ball up and balancing it on his head etc). I though he was a magician and loved it.

Edited by BridportOwl
  • Like 1

Got no issues at all with what he did.  Football, like all sports, is an entertainment business, yes we want our teams to win but surely we also want to see characters within the game.  Could understand the reaction from some if United were 5-0 down though.  There will have been countless Kids around the world trying this move in the Garden or down the Park with their mates.  

That said, would I have tried to snap him in half if I was playing and he did that against me? 100% 

On 28/10/2022 at 22:30, EighteenSixty7 said:

It’s hilarious seeing grown men wound up by this. People like Robbie Savage, Paul Scholes etc. You boring ********. 

Get a grip, football is meant to be fun. 

Well said,  I bet the Man Utd fans laughed about it.  And at the end of the day he’s also trying to make the opposition confused about what he might do next. 

But nah, I wish more players were more like Mighten and run into the defender and lose the ball every time, much less annoying. 

You need to earn the right to perform tricks like that imo. What’s Anthony done in his career so far? 

Also, people comparing it to Ronaldinho but you’ll be hard pressed to find a clip of him doing something as pointless as that.

Ronaldinho’s tricks more often that not gained his team an advantage 

• Like 3