Sheffield Wednesday Ladies FC

24 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Quick question to all concerned, if they had the Ladies playing a couple of hours before the men's team or even an hour or so after and charged say a fiver extra to watch (kids a quid) would you stay and make a day of it? Especially if the catering were up to scratch?

Might be a way to generate funds for them without a huge increase in costs.

From what I understand, the Ladies team are a separate entity and refused Chansiri's offer to rejoin the club.

However, if they were club funded, a double header, with the men's team first then people in the ground able to stay for the ladies game with ticket sales for just the women's game would be good.

The free attendance could get new fans, as a decent number would probably stay to just miss traffic or plain curiosity.

4 hours ago, Bassetts Allsorts said:

Blades are the only pro club round here that support and invest in their women's football team. They have done for many years and they are now reaping the rewards for doing so - exposure, increased attendances, additional pathways, etc. The next step for them is the WSL and you'd expect that to flourish over the next few years so they'd be joining that party at just the right time.

To absolutely nobody's surprise, our club does the bare minimum when it comes to supporting our women's football team - I believe they even had to buy their own kit at one stage. If I said this five years you would've probably just shrugged your shoulders, but it's yet another example of that lot across the city having the vision to see the bigger picture.

But in Liam Dooley I've been impressed. We're getting our house in order and it's not too late to work closer with our women's football team. In fact now would be the perfect time to do so.

4 or 5 seasons ago I was a guest at was what was a potential player signing with the then manager of Sheffield United Ladies Carla Ward (now manager at Villa) First meeting was up at Shirecliffe, the second at The Lane. She was telling me about the players they were chasing and also the youngsters coming through, talked about player sponsorship, boot and equipment deals through adidas. The player I was with ended up signing that day, press photos on the pitch etc. A million miles away from our set up unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, Stockyowl said:

4 or 5 seasons ago I was a guest at was what was a potential player signing with the then manager of Sheffield United Ladies Carla Ward (now manager at Villa) First meeting was up at Shirecliffe, the second at The Lane. She was telling me about the players they were chasing and also the youngsters coming through, talked about player sponsorship, boot and equipment deals through adidas. The player I was with ended up signing that day, press photos on the pitch etc. A million miles away from our set up unfortunately. 

MC cable bought in to the franchise when it was offered 

5 hours ago, No Uniform said:

I will be honest I didn't know they existed until @YesWeCrann started reporting about them. I had searched historically to see if we had a linked football team, but nothing on the website. It's disappointing in the modern day.

Exsisted for years, i recall watching them play in the late 90s, ex girlfriend was a sports nut and played for Leeds Ladies, Yorkshire CC and Huddersfield Ladies Hockey team. 

Also Had the dubious pleasure of facing each other in a Cricket match once as she played for a mens village team too. 

2 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

Genuine question, as I’ve absolutely no idea of the history here, but if the ladies team is nothing to do with the club ( as some on this post have mentioned) how come they are allowed to be called Sheffield Wednesday?

Pay attention in class!

This was covered earlier in the thread and also in an earlier thread in June or May about the same subject.

On 13/06/2022 at 04:56, SWLFC said:

Sheffield Wednesday Ladies Football Club (SWLFC) is SWFC's official female representative club at both junior and senior levels.

With teams all the way from U9s through to open age (seniors), we provide an opportunity for hundreds of female players to enjoy playing football and benefiting from the social positives that sport can bring. As a volunteer-run and self-sufficient set up based in Sheffield, the club's teams compete in the Sheffield & Hallamshire Girls & Women's County Leagues.

One of the club's aims at present is to try and raise the awareness of SWFC fans about SWLFC, what we do and what the club is trying to achieve going forward. The new season, 2022/23, just began from an admin perspective and we'll be using the summer months to get our new squads together ready for our first games in August and September.

We'll drop news, results and info into this thread as the season goes on, and we've got some big plans for how we can push SWLFC forward in the coming months.

For now, if you want to show your support then a like or follow on our social media channels would be huge as we look to increase our reach and impact on all three platforms:

Twitter --> https://twitter.com/ShefWedLadies

Facebook --> https://www.facebook.com/SheffWedLadies

Instagram --> https://www.instagram.com/swlfc_/

We currently uses the hashtags #OneTeam, #WAWAW and #ProudToBeOwls. We love being part of SWFC and we want to see the club go from strength to strength, no matter which team is playing in the blue and white stripes we all support.

Opening post from aforementioned thread.

21 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

You never even thought of Sheffield Wednesday Ladies until 8 pm on Sunday, am I right? 

Even if that was true, then so what?

If the result on Sunday makes more people think about the inequality of it all then that's a good step forward isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

AD7234F9-3AA1-4673-A97A-677E827588A4.jpeg

The Department for Education (DfE) has refused to commit to ensuring that girls have equal access to football in schools, despite the Lionesses’ historic victory in the Euros.

Government guidance published by the DfE fails to guarantee that schoolgirls be offered the same football lessons as boys, but says they should instead be offered “comparable activities”.

Specific guidance on single-sex sports coaching also states that while a mixed school can have “a boys-only football team, the school would still have to allow girls equal opportunities to participate in comparable sporting activities”.

The national curriculum for both primary and secondary education suggests comparable sports could include netball, rounders, tennis and badminton.

Owlstalk Shop

I seem to recall that at some point about 10 years ago there was a random switch of what team was linked to Wednesday.

From what I remember, there was  Sheffield Wednesday Women and then suddenly they were dropped in favour of a completely different Sheffield Wednesday Ladies. Not just a name change but a completely different team.

My memory is hazy but I think the Women played at the Dearn Valley College sports campus near Wath. I seem to remember finding that out when I lived in Wath and thinking I'd check some games out, but they switched the team association before I got the chance.

• Thanks 1

Sunday was brilliant but I’m not convinced womens football will take off in the way they expect. Just an idea, but why don’t they play matches before the men on Saturdays. Fans would get 2 games for 1, crowds would be better and more commercial opportunities. 

• Like 1

The other issue at grassroots is referees. No where near enough for the boys/mens game, so an influx of female teams will cause a real issue. It’s not a reason not to encourage, but it’s a big problem and one getting worse not better. 

33 minutes ago, vulva said:

Sunday was brilliant but I’m not convinced womens football will take off in the way they expect. Just an idea, but why don’t they play matches before the men on Saturdays. Fans would get 2 games for 1, crowds would be better and more commercial opportunities. 

They'd have to kick off very early if they did .the men are out warming up at 2.15 ish .. .the dressing rooms could be a problem as I'm sure they wouldnt share one ....an extra 15 games a season probably wouldnt do the pitch any  good...

I remember the London Olympics in 2012 and the legacy of the games was a big selling point of it.

Inspire a generation to love and take part in sport and be a more healthy nation.

Without backing it up with facts and surveys my gut feeling is that legacy was only very limited and nowhere near the success they were hoping for..

Think the same could happen with Women's Football. Once the celebrations after Sunday die down a lot of people will forget about it.

I am not too fussed about professional women's sides, although if it is a success and they get good crowds (Say average 5-6,000) I will be pleased.

But really hope it makes more females want to take part in football and sport in general at grass roots level.

Although I guess you might need a successful pro league to have knock on effect on grassroots.

52 minutes ago, vulva said:

An interesting idea in theory.

I've been to a couple of Double Headers at Headingly for the 100 and it is quite a cool way of doing it. You do get a lot who only turn up for the men but most families that go watch both. And I suppose it is the young ones more than anyone else you'd want to catch it anyway.

The problem would be how you share the revenue I suppose.

17 hours ago, Rotherham Owl said:

I wish the Star would do more to be honest.

The Rotherham Advertiser often feature girls/ladies football teams. There was a report a couple of weeks ago about a team going to America and winning a big tournament, nothing in the Star.

I'm a Sheffield Wednesday writer, I write about the Wednesday women's team whenever something happens that I can do a story on. Have done a fair bit of stuff on SWLFC - and will continue to do so. They're in the seventh tier - I do what I can.

• Like 1

From my dodgy memory Sheffield FC Ladies had a good team up there with Doncaster Belles. Then Sufc set one up & nicked the best players. As Sheffield we had a chance of competing but now just making up the numbers for Citeh, Arse, Chelsea & the like to batter us. Shame. 

On 02/08/2022 at 07:52, TheEnchanter said:

This has info. Seems they are very underfunded and kept at arms length from the club to me.

“Underfunded”??

Are you suggesting that the ladies game relies on funding from the men’s game??

Bigot. Misogynist.

Are you not aware the ladies game has moved on?

Their strikers are better than Shearer ‘quote’ , the Lionesses would have beaten the England World Cup winners of 66 ‘quote’. and every game is packed with 60,000 obsessed fans ‘unquote’.

The days when the absolute top WSL matches attracted 900 and the slightly lesser lights got 300 are from a distant age. (About 4 months ago actually)

Not be long before he likes of City, Liverpool, Arsenal etc are being subsidised bought and paid for by the throngs that will undoubtedly follow their chosen team with a Lioness in up and down the country, home & away.

Mark my words, you heard it here first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2