Sheffield Wednesday Ladies FC

14 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

“Underfunded”??

Are you suggesting that the ladies game relies on funding from the men’s game??

Bigot. Misogynist.

Are you not aware the ladies game has moved on?

Their strikers are better than Shearer ‘quote’ , the Lionesses would have beaten the England World Cup winners of 66 ‘quote’. and every game is packed with 60,000 obsessed fans ‘unquote’.

The days when the absolute top WSL matches attracted 900 and the slightly lesser lights got 300 are from a distant age. (About 4 months ago actually)

Not be long before he likes of City, Liverpool, Arsenal etc are being subsidised bought and paid for by the throngs that will undoubtedly follow their chosen team with a Lioness in up and down the country, home & away.

Mark my words, you heard it here first.

*sigh*

We've got one here folks

A bloke trying to turn a thread about the womens game into about THEM and trying to appeal to the 'lads lads lads' that might jump on this stuff and give it a 'like'

Is there anything duller and more insecure?

• Like 3
  • Love 2

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Can you elaborate?

My lads are at 3 different schools and girls regularly get involved in playing football. Grassroots boys football teams, especially at the lower level all encourage girls, and many have them within teams. Many of the bigger grassroots clubs have female teams to join. The Sheffield Junior football Facebook site is full of clubs looking for female players. 

I don’t buy the theory there is zero or very little opportunity. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vulva said:

My lads are at 3 different schools and girls regularly get involved in playing football. Grassroots boys football teams, especially at the lower level all encourage girls, and many have them within teams. Many of the bigger grassroots clubs have female teams to join. The Sheffield Junior football Facebook site is full of clubs looking for female players. 

I don’t buy the theory there is zero or very little opportunity. 

The news story is about schools not having girls football teams and having them play netball instead of football etc - not grassroots teams or sunday football teams etc

Schooling as a 'whole' not individual schools like the one you mention

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, YesWeCrann said:

I'm a Sheffield Wednesday writer, I write about the Wednesday women's team whenever something happens that I can do a story on. Have done a fair bit of stuff on SWLFC - and will continue to do so. They're in the seventh tier - I do what I can.

It is greatly appreciated too

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

The news story is about schools not having girls football teams and having them play netball instead of football etc - not grassroots teams or sunday football teams etc

Can only speak from experience but organized school football teams for boys, never mind girls, is quite rare, and poorly organized. In terms of school I was talking more about PE lessons etc. I’d be amazed if girls are getting restricted from playing in that environment.

Teachers don’t seem that bothered these days, and probably are pulled in other directions. Grassroots football on Saturday’s and Sundays has filled the void, and is far more organized and widespread than it was back in the day. 

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Can only speak from experience but organized school football teams for boys, never mind girls, is quite rare, and poorly organized. In terms of school I was talking more about PE lessons etc. I’d be amazed if girls are getting restricted from playing in that environment. 

But they are

That's literally what's happening 

Girls dont' do football in PE they do netball and rounders - that's literally the story and the truth

Owlstalk Shop

My kids are slightly older now - but a few years ago, many local 'boys' team were setting up girls teams purely because the FA gave them money to do so. There was little interest in actually running a girls team properly etc. they just went after the money. This I hope will now be addressed.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

But they are

That's literally what's happening 

Girls dont' do football in PE they do netball and rounders - that's literally the story and the truth

I’m sure every school is different. My eldest when asked says girls play football regularly in PE. I’d still be surprised in 2022 of girls asking to play football are told they can only play netball. It all sounds a bit Daily Mail. 

2 minutes ago, danblakemore said:

My kids are slightly older now - but a few years ago, many local 'boys' team were setting up girls teams purely because the FA gave them money to do so. There was little interest in actually running a girls team properly etc. they just went after the money. This I hope will now be addressed.

No doubt that has happened. 

1 minute ago, vulva said:

I’m sure every school is different. My eldest when asked says girls play football regularly in PE. I’d still be surprised in 2022 of girls asking to play football are told they can only play netball. It all sounds a bit Daily Mail. 

Not sure why you're stubbornly fighting this story when it's simply reporting that girls don't do football in PE?

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Not sure why you're stubbornly fighting this story when it's simply reporting that girls don't do football in PE?

It’s called debate. Which you struggle with. A lot. 

Have a great day. 

• Like 4

At my daughter's school, the football in PE is mixed, however, the "football kids" have been playing together for years and nobody else bothers pkaying as you'll just be on the bench or in a corner.

Same with the local girl's team.

The girls have all been friends for years and aren't the most tolerant of outsiders.

8 minutes ago, vulva said:

It’s called debate. Which you struggle with. A lot. 

Have a great day. 

I'm debating you

I'm saying you seem to be deliberately trying to say something isn't happening which is widely reported as happening

HAVE A TOP DAY

*bangs fist on desk*

*stands up*

*walks out*

*slams door behind him*

lol

Owlstalk Shop

4 hours ago, vulva said:

Sunday was brilliant but I’m not convinced womens football will take off in the way they expect. Just an idea, but why don’t they play matches before the men on Saturdays. Fans would get 2 games for 1, crowds would be better and more commercial opportunities. 

I get the thinking but wouldn't go along with it myself. The crowds in the ground are sparse pre game until nearer kick off. People also enjoy pre match traditions and chance to catch up with a pint. Adding on a ladies game before hand isn't an attraction and throwing a bone to  ladies game saying be grateful we are letting you play. 

The ladies team need their own schedule, place to play so they can organically grow. You can price it at affordable prices so families arent priced out.  Make sure it is marketed and advertised so people know when games are on and get into a habit. Better 500 watching at small venue than some people showing half interest and watching part of game pre 3pm on Saturday.

As mentioned as well do we have enough dressing rooms to accomadate both at same time?