Sheffield Wednesday Ladies FC

What's the next excuse blokes are gonna make for the success of womens football and the rise of their sport?

"well it's not as popular as you think because they make their shirts out of different material to the mens"

Come on fellas - seriously - give your heads a wobble and get with the times ffs

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

I mean if you want to pay them the same as what the men’s get they need to bring in the same money. If ticket prices are a fraction of what the mens are then they can only pay a fraction of what the men get even if they sell out 

You're worrying too much about it mate

And your logic's off

Not sure who you've been listening to or which tabloids you have read on this subject but they're not demanding £250,000 a week each ffs

Owlstalk Shop

Guest mrbluesky

Everyone on Owlstalk I'm sure is fully behind the women's football, which is great, momentum promotion and progress of it  is everything, furthermore the standard will get better and better when it does.

"Rome wasn't built in a day"

2 hours ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

I mean if you want to pay them the same as what the men’s get they need to bring in the same money. If ticket prices are a fraction of what the mens are then they can only pay a fraction of what the men get even if they sell out 

Nowt to do with ticket prices!

FA easily have the money to match the womens prize money to the mens.

The issue is TV revenue, Sky and other TV companies aren't going to pay £3billion for womens football!

This is the peak opportunity for the Women's game save for if they go on and win the World Cup. 

Brilliant that Wembley has sold out for their next game. 

For me though the real impact comes from attendances at club games in the next 3 months. 

I watched the Final and bits of the other games.  Would I go and watch England no, would I go and watch a league team or even a Wednesday Ladies team no. 

Asked my 13 year old Daughter if it had made her more interested in playing football and again no. 

Appreciate many will now have an increased interest but outside of International games it's not going to happen to the level many predict.   Hope I am wrong. 

26 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Nowt to do with ticket prices!

FA easily have the money to match the womens prize money to the mens.

The issue is TV revenue, Sky and other TV companies aren't going to pay £3billion for womens football!

The prize money is loose change, and the appearance fee is already matched and it’s £2k a game.

as you say, the TV revenue can never be matched until everyone is tuning into all the WSL games every week which they’re unlikely to do. The gate receipts are also important, that’s true of football league vs Prem too and if you’re hardly charging anything for tickets it’s not going to raise much. If they charge the prices they do for mens football then I just don’t think they’d sell out or even close.

All in all they’re getting as much as they can out of it already most likely.. £200k a year for the better players. It’s a lot less than most league 1 players get (or at least SWFC) but I can’t see where the money comes from to pay way more

I think there is undoubtedly a big disconnect with the womens national team and the womens domestic game

It's like The Lionesses have taken on a concept in its own right

I don't think that will translate into markedly increased domestic attendances - and lets face that bar the odd exception then the attendances are awful

The very worst thing for the health of the game would be for the PL to take it on - short term gain for a few but at the detriment to the grass roots of the games and the game undoubtedly can only grow from the ground up for a sustainable future

The FA cherish the England teams because they don't have much else - the PL have pretty much got the domestic mens game sewn up no matter who is notionally running it

So the national team bears a health and support not seen widely across the womens game

So using the england as an exaple is pretty skewed right now until we get the data of how and if it has affected the wider game going forward

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bigthinrob said:

As I said, let’s see how these millions of new fans translate into regular crowds at run of the mill routine games shall we?

Time will tell if you’re right or I am.

6 hours ago, scram said:

I think some clubs need to be very wary of running a womens team if they don't want to fund it sufficiently for just basics like travel, medical cover (incredibly expensive), facilities etc

I do think it was a big mistake to move the womens summer season to run alongside the mens season - too much competition and the loss of the good qweather and family fin days which many womens teams used to run is significant for engagement imo

I said in another thread that I thought it was a mistake for the WSL to abandon their Summer season. 

The Euros have attracted a lot of young girls to watch women's football. How many will be keen to be dragged out of the house on a freezing winters day to go and watch football. Games in the Summer have contributed to a family day out experience.

We will see how the Euros success translates into attendances in the WSL this season. Last season they were pretty poor.

I was at a WSL game at the end of last season at Leicester's King Power stadium when Leicester played Chelsea. Tickets were £7 for adults, £3 for under 18's and for under 8's it was free.  There were probably only 300-400 spectators there in a tiny section of one stand, the rest of the 32K stadium was empty.

It was the same for a couple of Everton games I was at. The costs of opening and staffing the stadiums would have been many times more than the gate money taken. The top Premier League clubs will be able to afford to subsidise the costs of running their womens teams but I doubt EFL clubs would.

5 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I was at a WSL game at the end of last season at Leicester's King Power stadium when Leicester played Chelsea. Tickets were £7 for adults, £3 for under 18's and for under 8's it was free.  There were probably only 300-400 spectators there in a tiny section of one stand, the rest of the 32K stadium was empty.

Do you know what attendances were (for example) ten years ago and five years ago?

Has it increased or decreased since then?

Owlstalk Shop

18 hours ago, vulva said:

Refs at junior level are ‘sought’ rather than allocated. In view of the issues with some teams it could well be the refs choose to ref girls games, because they will probably get less hassle, for the same money. 

Oh bud your so wrong ,having an ex girlfriend who Im still mates with who players for Leeds ,wetherby ladies and osset town . The ex missus started playing ,so I've seen quite a few games through the years . Trust me they can be far worse at tantrums and strops ,I've seen players walk off and sit down because one of the others has shouted at her for losing her mark or being at fault for a goal they can carry an argument on with a red from the first minute for the rest of the game trust me when you get away from the disciplined well coached internationals you generally see it can get a right old cluster@&#£.

14 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah I don't see how it won't to be fair

The womens teams are snowed under with applications to play for them, tickets for the next englands womens match at Wembley Stadium in October have already sold out!

I'm not sure where your getting your info from bud. It may change now for a while since we've won the euros with all the hype . The problem has been there though at lower league and grass roots for a long time . You generally get quite a few at the start of the season ,some just turn up because their mates or girlfriends play ,other just to train as an alternate fitness thing instead of the gym knowing it wont be full of guys. Most drop of as the summer ends and the season starts ,many others as the weather gets crappy .I've seen it over multiple seasons over the last 15/20 years.

14 hours ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Whenever I hear Emma Hayes or Alex Scott talk about it I just think they’re wildly deluded. It’s just not possible to get it to anything like what the men’s game is in this country. And as a result the finances will always be limited.

The people involved in the women’s game already are blinkered and have a chip on their shoulder a lot of the time because they want equality (meaning women get the same money as men) as opposed to equality of opportunity (meaning they get the same commercial opportunities as men, which leads to lower revenues anyway as less demand). And they don’t understand the difference and feel hard done to.

You may be right, but let's see how it develops.

In sports like Tennis and Golf the pay gap has narrowed considerably, although there's some way to go.

The US national 'soccer' team pays the same for men and women btw.

It's an unknown isn't it?

We don't yet know if there will be significant and lasting carry over to the domestic game - that data will become available

As for equal pay - well, it's a can of worms that can never be opened because paying say, Chelsea Women £100m pa in salary is just not going to happen when it has no income generation capacity at all - in fact it's the opposite and takes an awful lot of money out of the club

maybe the more modest sums for international appearances will be an easier route for equal pay

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'm not sure where your getting your info from bud. It may change now for a while since we've won the euros with all the hype . The problem has been there though at lower league and grass roots for a long time . You generally get quite a few at the start of the season ,some just turn up because their mates or girlfriends play ,other just to train as an alternate fitness thing instead of the gym knowing it wont be full of guys. Most drop of as the summer ends and the season starts ,many others as the weather gets crappy .I've seen it over multiple seasons over the last 15/20 years.

Those multiple seasons haven't had the kind of exposure and success we have just seen though 

Owlstalk Shop

7 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Do you know what attendances were (for example) ten years ago and five years ago?

Has it increased or decreased since then?

Sorry no idea.

Leicester season ticket prices for the coming WSL season are £48 for adults, £31.50 for over 64's and under 18's. Under 8's are free. That's for 11 home games.

Matchday prices are £8, £4 and free for under 8's.

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Those multiple seasons haven't had the kind of exposure and success we have just seen though 

As you've generally noticed I've no problem with the women's game.

I do think though it's probably at school level the Fa needs to be focusing on, long term goals and planning rather than short termism Yes it's raised the profile for a little while and there may be an influx of women wanting to play ,but very few above junior age will still disappear before the end of the season .for many it will be just another fad  its not all just running around in she sunshine kicking a ball about or as easy as it looks on a TV screen .

I remember all too well between 30 & 40 turning up to summer training camps,then Alex coming home on a cold damp Tuesday or Thursday after training in the winter months complaining hardly anyone had turned up. It comes down to the different mindset of most men and women I suppose. A bit like going camping really youre very lucky to find a women who enjoys roughing it in the mud n rain.

2 hours ago, Davidioso said:

You may be right, but let's see how it develops.

In sports like Tennis and Golf the pay gap has narrowed considerably, although there's some way to go.

The US national 'soccer' team pays the same for men and women btw.

I don’t really follow golf so can’t comment much on that, but tennis I watch quite a bit. Enjoy watching both men’s and women’s as long as it’s competitive. And I’d say there was more depth and more competition in the mens than the womens. Plus there’s the whole 5 set and 3 set thing at grand slams.

I don’t get why they’re equally paid tbh. If the male players kicked up a fuss then I’m sure they wouldn’t be, on the basis that maybe 70%+ of the revenue is driven by the men’s game. Maybe they’re all just so well paid that they don’t care, but it doesn’t seem equal vs what they bring to the table. It’s like working for a company where you do 70% of the work and the other guy/girl does 30% with the same job description yet you get the same money, it’s not right.

As for the US women’s team a lot of those have an over inflated view of themselves. Yes they might be world champions but the standard has been poor. They were paid what their value was really. Political pressure has meant they now get the same as the men’s team but it’s a different ball game (and their mens team is rubbish which doesn’t help with the comparison).