Sheffield Wednesday Ladies FC

9 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

I’ve said a hundred times I don’t give a flying fu*k if girls want to play footy. 

Your posts in the thread say otherwise

Women kick a ball about and you're frothing at the mouth and falling over your own feet to rush to hammer on your keyboard to slate it and mock it

lol

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

If the mens teams dont' want to finance the womens team all they have to do is to give them as much profile and publicity as possible for a quite short space of time - and the ladies team would attract the sponsorship and advertising needed to be self sufficient

There’s some illiterate economics going on in this thread.

I’m sure advertisers will be queuing up for the big marquee events where their profile will be seen by the hordes.

Will the same advertisers be queuing up to pay for advertising when the normal crowds return. 1000 according to the figures for the biggest clubs & 250 - 500 for the average. 

I’m all for them being self sufficient, but can’t see it happening. 

The mens game spans centuries to develop and it seems to me, the women’s game and all its hangers on, want everything instantly. Football league teams that had been in existence years, go bust because of lack of crowds, funding etc and non of the big clubs who subsidise womens football are anywhere to be seen. 

They should be patient, one step at a time, build the product through schools etc, take a measured realistic view and rein in the media & hysterical commentators who by making outlandish comparisons against the mens game do more harm than good and alienate people who were previously supportive of the women’s game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

rein in the media & hysterical commentators who by making outlandish comparisons against the mens game do more harm than good and alienate people who were previously supportive of the women’s game. 

lol

'SHUT UP TALKING ABOUT WOMENS FOOTBALL AND ATTRACTING ALL THE ATTENTION, NEW PLAYERS, FINANCE, SPONSORS, ADVERTISERS AND NEW FANS'

So so insecure

What are you terrified of?

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Your posts in the thread say otherwise

Women kick a ball about and you're frothing at the mouth and falling over your own feet to rush to hammer on your keyboard to slate it and mock it

lol

I think it’s more than clear by now, that my gripe is with the hype and the increasing comparison & denigration of the mens game by inane unfounded media & ‘activists’ know nothing about football, male or female.

If someone talks down Wednesday or slags them off I respond.

If some halfwit who thinks he knows about football because he / she watched it on Sunday slags the men’s game in comparison then I’m entitled to respond and balance the argument.

I notice most of the players have been quite respectful and silent re the comparisons with the mens game, because they know the truth. Its these one game hangers on that seem to have an axe to grind, who will be doing something else in 3 weeks when the novelty has worn off.

2 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

I think it’s more than clear by now, that my gripe is with the hype and the increasing comparison & denigration of the mens game by inane unfounded media & ‘activists’ know nothing about football, male or female.

If someone talks down Wednesday or slags them off I respond.

If some halfwit who thinks he knows about football because he / she watched it on Sunday slags the men’s game in comparison then I’m entitled to respond and balance the argument.

I notice most of the players have been quite respectful and silent re the comparisons with the mens game, because they know the truth. Its these one game hangers on that seem to have an axe to grind, who will be doing something else in 3 weeks when the novelty has worn off.

lol

Amazing

This is a whole new level of jealousy, envy and insecurity

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, markg said:

Until we get more refs, then reduce some of the mens matches then. 

Refs at junior level are ‘sought’ rather than allocated. In view of the issues with some teams it could well be the refs choose to ref girls games, because they will probably get less hassle, for the same money. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

'SHUT UP TALKING ABOUT WOMENS FOOTBALL AND ATTRACTING ALL THE ATTENTION, NEW PLAYERS, FINANCE, SPONSORS, ADVERTISERS AND NEW FANS'

So so insecure

What are you terrified of?

I’m terrified of people whose brain capacity seems unable to process a certain argument by constantly harping back to some drivel about ‘insecurity’.

You may think it’s all economically viable without the men’s clubs subsidising it, I personally don’t.

For my ‘insecurity’ I’ll throw in the ring your ‘naivety’.

When Man City ladies become self sufficient, change their name, move to their own ground, and become totally self sufficient, then you’ll be proved right.

But you’ll have got bored of it by then won’t you, because everyone else will have as well, and the threads will be few & far between which is no good to you is it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

I’m terrified of people whose brain capacity seems unable to process a certain argument by constantly harping back to some drivel about ‘insecurity’.

You may think it’s all economically viable without the men’s clubs subsidising it, I personally don’t.

For my ‘insecurity’ I’ll throw in the ring your ‘naivety’.

When Man City ladies become self sufficient, change their name, move to their own ground, and become totally self sufficient, then you’ll be proved right.

But you’ll have got bored of it by then won’t you, because everyone else will have as well, and the threads will be few & far between which is no good to you is it?

So envious of the womens football having a MASSSSIVE weekend, winning loads of new fans and sponsors, inspiring girls all over the world to take up football

And you're straight on the internet telling everyone to shut up talking about it 'in case it puts some fans off that used to be fans of it' or some other withering dribble reason to cover up your jealousy and insecurity that the women might just have a success on their hands

After a weekend it attracted literally MILLIONS of new fans to it

Amazing

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

lol

Amazing

This is a whole new level of jealousy, envy and insecurity

Nah you’re right.

If only we could get crowds of 500, play a game at a third of the pace, where interest will peak for the ‘finals’ and internationals whilst the rest will be a few diehards. 

It will resemble lower levels of non league.

So yep, jealous, envious, and totally insecure. I blame my Mum for breast feeding me till I was 14!!

What’s your excuse.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Nah you’re right.

If only we could get crowds of 500, play a game at a third of the pace, where interest will peak for the ‘finals’ and internationals whilst the rest will be a few diehards. 

It will resemble lower levels of non league.

So yep, jealous, envious, and totally insecure. I blame my Mum for breast feeding me till I was 14!!

What’s your excuse.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

"I dont' mind if women play football" says man frothing at the mouth to slate it in the thread as much as possible and shout ranty posts about how everyone should stop discussing it and saying how good the success of the euros was

The Uberfan stuff didn't get missed either 🤣

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

So envious of the womens football having a MASSSSIVE weekend, winning loads of new fans and sponsors, inspiring girls all over the world to take up football

And you're straight on the internet telling everyone to shut up talking about it 'in case it puts some fans off that used to be fans of it' or some other withering dribble reason to cover up your jealousy and insecurity that the women might just have a success on their hands

After a weekend it attracted literally MILLIONS of new fans to it

Amazing

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

As I said, let’s see how these millions of new fans translate into regular crowds at run of the mill routine games shall we?

Time will tell if you’re right or I am.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣

"I dont' mind if women play football" says man frothing at the mouth to slate it in the thread as much as possible and shout ranty posts about how everyone should stop discussing it and saying how good the success of the euros was

Yawn!

The Womens PL have eye watering amounts of money poured into it compared to the money they generate

The championship is way way behind in every respect

Because much of the WPL is made up of the "big clubs" they seem tolerant of absorbing the cost

The further you go down the pyramid the more acute the problems become

I think some clubs need to be very wary of running a womens team if they don't want to fund it sufficiently for just basics like travel, medical cover (incredibly expensive), facilities etc

I do think it was a big mistake to move the womens summer season to run alongside the mens season - too much competition and the loss of the good qweather and family fin days which many womens teams used to run is significant for engagement imo

maybe the women winning a tournament will change things in that respect

Certainly the high profile players will gain extra endorsements and sponsorships individually - but that doesn't translate into cash coming into the game overall

And it needs to

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scram said:

The Womens PL have eye watering amounts of money poured into it compared to the money they generate

The championship is way way behind in every respect

Because much of the WPL is made up of the "big clubs" they seem tolerant of absorbing the cost

The further you go down the pyramid the more acute the problems become

I think some clubs need to be very wary of running a womens team if they don't want to fund it sufficiently for just basics like travel, medical cover (incredibly expensive), facilities etc

I do think it was a big mistake to move the womens summer season to run alongside the mens season - too much competition and the loss of the good qweather and family fin days which many womens teams used to run is significant for engagement imo

maybe the women winning a tournament will change things in that respect

Certainly the high profile players will gain extra endorsements and sponsorships individually - but that doesn't translate into cash coming into the game overall

And it needs to

They're losing money because of previous lack of profile and publicity and awareness

Owlstalk Shop

On 02/08/2022 at 15:36, Harrysgame said:

Good to know, didn't have a clue where and what league they played in. Maybe the club could give them some space in the program and website. Even promote their games on the scoreboard. 

They have the Wednesday name so got to be a win win for the club to promote and support.

They do have a full page in the programme each match day . Do you get a programme ? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pahowl said:

They do have a full page in the programme each match day . Do you get a programme ? 

Wonder what the circulation of the programme is these days

Would be interesting to know sales figures

(not knocking it - obvs it's great the ladies football is in there - just wondering sales numbers)

Owlstalk Shop