Sheffield Wednesday Ladies FC

Apologies if already posted. 

Do we even have a ladies team? What league are they in? Where do they play? Are they any good? 

The SUFC ladies team are apparently playing at Bramall Lane going forward. Other clubs are investing in their ladies teams but we seem to be absolutely nowhere. The club never tweet or market them. While other clubs are fighting to establish the first pro women teams, we seem to be ignoring it. 

Am I missing it? Im sure we have something but we are missing a trick if we aren’t going to jump on this bandwagon. 

• Like 3

The ladies are in the 6th tier of the football pyramid. https://fulltime.thefa.com/table.html?league=9125628&selectedSeason=264220723&selectedDivision=157350209&selectedCompetition=0&selectedFixtureGroupKey=1_77443621

The Under 18s are in division 3of3 and the Under 16s are in division 2of2

The younger age groups are all in division 1.

20 minutes ago, El Wednesday said:

The daughter of a friend of mine played for them at, I think, U16 level. Said the coaches basically bullied any joy for the game out of her 😔

Tbh I think you’ll find that at many clubs with boys now. I don’t think it’s anything to do with them being girls. It’s the difference between a good coach and a bad one. I saw it with one of my sons - not at Wednesday I hasten to add.

• Like 5

To be fair, we are a league one club that is skint and the women's teams don't generate enough money to be self sufficient yet. I'd rather we get promoted and then start directing funds their way. That said, i am sure there are many non/minimal cost things the club could to help. Hopefully a lot more fans going to their games would be a good start and may make the club see the commercial opportunity to strengthen ties too 

How many other league one clubs have a women's team that they're funding too? 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, 0742 said:

To be fair, we are a league one club that is skint and the women's teams don't generate enough money to be self sufficient yet. I'd rather we get promoted and then start directing funds their way. That said, i am sure there are many non/minimal cost things the club could to help. Hopefully a lot more fans going to their games would be a good start and may make the club see the commercial opportunity to strengthen ties too 

How many other league one clubs have a women's team that they're funding too? 

It's not so much the financials of it but the fact the club don't even help with any publicity to help them grow.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the womens game explodes in popularity and becomes financially profitable (which it will - very quickly) and whether or not the club allows the current setup to continue or moves in with a hostile takeover after providing no real assistance in the growth to get to that point.

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, crookesowl said:

Apologies if already posted. 

Do we even have a ladies team? What league are they in? Where do they play? Are they any good? 

The SUFC ladies team are apparently playing at Bramall Lane going forward. Other clubs are investing in their ladies teams but we seem to be absolutely nowhere. The club never tweet or market them. While other clubs are fighting to establish the first pro women teams, we seem to be ignoring it. 

Am I missing it? Im sure we have something but we are missing a trick if we aren’t going to jump on this bandwagon. 

You never even thought of Sheffield Wednesday Ladies until 8 pm on Sunday, am I right? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

It's not so much the financials of it but the fact the club don't even help with any publicity to help them grow.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the womens game explodes in popularity and becomes financially profitable (which it will - very quickly) and whether or not the club allows the current setup to continue or moves in with a hostile takeover

You would hope the commercial team had is at the number one discussion point in a Monday morning meeting!

I really do think like you that it's only going to explode from here. More so that people aren't comparing it to the men's game, it's holding its own now, rightfully so.

Just now, 0742 said:

You would hope the commercial team had is at the number one discussion point in a Monday morning meeting!

I really do think like you that it's only going to explode from here. More so that people aren't comparing it to the men's game, it's holding its own now, rightfully so.

There's more on the official website about supporters clubs in Brazil than there is any recognition that we even have a ladies team

How can that be right?

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

As a dad with a daughter in girls football, following the last World Cup there was a big influx of kids, now teams are folding left right and centre. Hopefully the euros will give it another boost. All junior teams are not affiliated with the clubs. SWFC have an RTC (regional talent squad) but it’s shockingly run, this is the pathway to the ladies team! There are 7 tiers in ladies football itself, for our ladies to be in tier 6 kind of says it all. SUFC are in 2. My daughters club ladies (she’s only 13 so not in it) are in 7 and they aren’t one of the big local clubs so that tells you a lot!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WayneTheOwl said:

As a dad with a daughter in girls football, following the last World Cup there was a big influx of kids, now teams are folding left right and centre. Hopefully the euros will give it another boost. All junior teams are not affiliated with the clubs. SWFC have an RTC (regional talent squad) but it’s shockingly run, this is the pathway to the ladies team! There are 7 tiers in ladies football itself, for our ladies to be in tier 6 kind of says it all. SUFC are in 2. My daughters club ladies (she’s only 13 so not in it) are in 7 and they aren’t one of the big local clubs so that tells you a lot!

SWFC do not have an RTC - Pigs do