Sheffield Wednesday Ladies FC

22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Not sure why you're stubbornly fighting this story when it's simply reporting that girls don't do football in PE?

It’s not as simple as this though. When my kids were doing PE at school (about 15 years ago) the boys weren’t allowed to play football, they were made to do netball, or gymnastics. And my lad and his mates were all moaning about it as most of them wanted to play football, or other traditionally male sports like rugby or cricket. The teachers used to say ‘you all play football all the time anyway so you’re doing something else in PE’. 

Similarly the girls were made to play football, touch rugby etc and most of them hated it, a lot got sick notes and just didn’t participate at all. I thought this was all schools but maybe not.. at the time I thought this is a load of nonsense this, just let people do what they want and stop playing to a minority. 

Now with the way the worlds gone since then I can’t imagine it’s gone back the other way, it will be worse if anything.

Should just let them vote on what they want to do in PE and go with the majority. I think that would mean that each gender plays their traditional games though and that would annoy the woke lot.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

It’s not as simple as this though. When my kids were doing PE at school (about 15 years ago) the boys weren’t allowed to play football, they were made to do netball, or gymnastics. And my lad and his mates were all moaning about it as most of them wanted to play football, or other traditionally male sports like rugby or cricket. The teachers used to say ‘you all play football all the time anyway so you’re doing something else in PE’. 

Similarly the girls were made to play football, touch rugby etc and most of them hated it, a lot got sick notes and just didn’t participate at all. I thought this was all schools but maybe not.. at the time I thought this is a load of nonsense this, just let people do what they want and stop playing to a minority. 

Now with the way the worlds gone since then I can’t imagine it’s gone back the other way, it will be worse if anything.

Should just let them vote on what they want to do in PE and go with the majority. I think that would mean that each gender plays their traditional games though and that would annoy the woke lot.

We don’t use the ‘woke’ nonsense on here when putting across opinions mate 

We don’t need to stoop that low 

We are more intelligent than that

Ta 

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

I remember when the ex missus was still playing for osset town ladies there were 3/4 that had played for Wednesday ladies. My memories not great these days remembering talking to shell ,sarge and leanne  ,but I'm sure the left because it folded around 2010/2012. 

Osset were always having problems with funding and sponsorship hence town and United merged a few years back. No doubt the Wednesday ladies have been having similar problems ,maybe the spotlight and profile being raised will help a lot of clubs in the future. 

Theres a documentary series following West ham ladies which was on TV when the chairman of West ham put his son in charge with the remit of making them more self sustaining rather than being kept going by cash from the men's side, the point from this being if a London established prem league side is struggling to run a ladies team sustainably clubs lower down the league are too.

1 minute ago, shezzas left peg said:

I remember when the ex missus was still playing for osset town ladies there were 3/4 that had played for Wednesday ladies. My memories not great these days remembering talking to shell ,sarge and leanne  ,but I'm sure the left because it folded around 2010/2012. 

Osset were always having problems with funding and sponsorship hence town and United merged a few years back. No doubt the Wednesday ladies have been having similar problems ,maybe the spotlight and profile being raised will help a lot of clubs in the future. 

Theres a documentary series following West ham ladies which was on TV when the chairman of West ham put his son in charge with the remit of making them more self sustaining rather than being kept going by cash from the men's side, the point from this being if a London established prem league side is struggling to run a ladies team sustainably clubs lower down the league are too.

If the mens teams dont' want to finance the womens team all they have to do is to give them as much profile and publicity as possible for a quite short space of time - and the ladies team would attract the sponsorship and advertising needed to be self sufficient

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

We don’t use the ‘woke’ nonsense on here when putting across opinions mate 

We don’t need to stoop that low 

We are more intelligent than that

Ta 

How else would you describe it though? Like I think even in 2022 most blokes like football and most women prefer other things. Some blokes don’t like football and some women love it, which is all perfectly fine.

But I don’t think the media’s narrative that women would all love football if only they’d been given more opportunities to play it is right. Most of the women in my family can’t stand it being on so it’s definitely something I do with the lads. Maybe that’s not typical I don’t know 

3 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

How else would you describe it though? Like I think even in 2022 most blokes like football and most women prefer other things. Some blokes don’t like football and some women love it, which is all perfectly fine.

But I don’t think the media’s narrative that women would all love football if only they’d been given more opportunities to play it is right. Most of the women in my family can’t stand it being on so it’s definitely something I do with the lads. Maybe that’s not typical I don’t know 

You're a bloke speaking on behalf of all women

Whilst at the same time ranting about people being 'woke' and 'media narratives'

Come on now

You can make your points without descending to that level of debate

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

This needs to start as a directive from education to begin with

There is no doubt that there is engagement from girls to play football, even before the euros more and more females are becoming professional and seeing it as a viable profession. Even compared to 5/10 years ago.

It may well be the case that there will be some girls who don't like football, similarly there are some boys who don't. School is a time to experience things and learn you can't pick and choose but simply denying the opportunity is not on.

At the moment, some schools may or may not "allow" girls to play football but more often than not the directive comes from parents of kids starting at a young age to play competitive sports and it shouldn't.

For example, I live in the south west, and the city has a very successful men's (and womens) rugby club. However because rugby isn't taught at schools it's down to the parents to get kids involved. As a result age groups are often mixed up and training is cross gender to a certain age.

And there are also a hella lot of parents who couldn't care less about their kids doing sport. 

So if schools dont offer and some parents dont care something has to change.

There's an assumption that many girls won't like it when they're not even given the opportunity to try at school. Which then limits the amount following it up in the local community.

I'm all for giving all genders all opportunities to play whatever sport they like not just what schools or lazy parents dictate.

2 hours ago, YesWeCrann said:

I'm a Sheffield Wednesday writer, I write about the Wednesday women's team whenever something happens that I can do a story on. Have done a fair bit of stuff on SWLFC - and will continue to do so. They're in the seventh tier - I do what I can.

It might help if the reporter, @YesWeCrann, writing about SWLFC knew what Tier of football they were in. They are in the 6th Tier not 7th.

My original comment was about The Star writing about girls football in general, not just SWLFC. It is very poor compared to other local newspapers. 

6 hours ago, vulva said:

The other issue at grassroots is referees. No where near enough for the boys/mens game, so an influx of female teams will cause a real issue. It’s not a reason not to encourage, but it’s a big problem and one getting worse not better. 

Until we get more refs, then reduce some of the mens matches then. 

9 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What down to 6 a side or 30 minutes per half?

Less teams in the leagues, just tell them that sorry, due to a shortage of refs and the number of teams, we can't fit you in.

Don't see how it's okay to say that to the women but not the men

It’s a shame the ladies aren’t invested in. 
Ultimately it will bring more fans into the club.

my daughter is in her second season with them now and absolutely loves going to Hillsborough 

meaning - I attend a lot more and with more people = more ticket sales and more merchandise etc bought.

Something has to be done to get the next generation supporting SWFC.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, markg said:

Less teams in the leagues, just tell them that sorry, due to a shortage of refs and the number of teams, we can't fit you in.

Don't see how it's okay to say that to the women but not the men

Or treat referees better and create a culture where referees are more respected

• Love 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

But they are

That's literally what's happening 

Girls dont' do football in PE they do netball and rounders - that's literally the story and the truth

How about them getting together in a park or playing field, throwing a couple of jumpers down for goal posts, buying a ball for a few quid and playing.  Or is that me being ‘insecure’ or whatever cr*p you were mumping on about because you disagree with anyone questioning your latest cause celebre.

I’ve said a hundred times I don’t give a flying fu*k if girls want to play footy.

I love football and to be honest when some pundits, commentators start to denigrate the mens game in an attempt to bull up the women;s version it starts to grate to be honest and comments saying so & so is better than Shearer and the ‘Lionesses’ would have beaten the 1966 Mens side it starts to p*ss me off.