Sheffield Wednesday Ladies FC

33 minutes ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

You never even thought of Sheffield Wednesday Ladies until 8 pm on Sunday, am I right? 

I am sure that could be said for a lot of people including myself really.
Thought that was one of things that may benefit Women's football that Englands success might give other female sides some publicity.
Hopefully SWFC ladies side can get some publicity and sponsorship after this.

Also I know some people have said Women's football will become more popular, I hope it does but I really hope it isn't spoiled by money in same way mens football has. 
Still a feeling of Women's sport being an amateur sport (I mean that in a good way) which I enjoy.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Rotherham Owl said:

SWFC do not have an RTC - Pigs do

They did? Not surprised they don’t anymore tbh. Be sounds of it there’s only a few RTC that are decent and they aren’t local ones. It’s why I’ve kept my daughter at grassroots!

2 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

This has info. Seems they are very underfunded and kept at arms length from the club to me.

Quite right too, no place for woman playing football it's 1922 not 2022!

Seriously though why can't the club fund a ladies team wouldn't make that much of a dent in finances and also the right thing to do. Sheffield as the football city should try to take a lead in this.

4 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Seriously though why can't the club fund a ladies team wouldn't make that much of a dent in finances and also the right thing to do. Sheffield as the football city should try to take a lead in this.

Even if they just gave them publicity and profile and the fans contributed towards the Ladies teams kits and other stuff that would be a huge step forward

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

Because Wednesday are a short term outfit. Anything and everything must have a short term gain.

Anything that takes years is of no use to us now, therefore is unacceptable.

Giving the women £100k is £100k less for our men's players who will use that money wisely instead firing us to the PL where we will all be rich.

11m watched the game at the weekend.  Games were played in Rotherham and at Brammall Lane.  Wednesday are nowhere to be seen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well the comments confirm my suspicions. 

I’m sure DC will be more interested if he can pull in a few thousand fans and get some sponsorship benefit out of it. 

As it stands we are living in the dark ages though. 

And yes I only really thought about it this week. But that’s the legacy of this Euro’s right? There’s no shame in that. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Well the comments confirm my suspicions. 

I’m sure DC will be more interested if he can pull in a few thousand fans and get some sponsorship benefit out of it. 

As it stands we are living in the dark ages though. 

And yes I only really thought about it this week. But that’s the legacy of this Euro’s right? There’s no shame in that. 

A few thousand fans?. There arent any fans at the level SWLFC are at except family and friends.

They play at Sheffield Hallam University Sports park, anyone can walk in and watch if they like. First Home Game is 18 September v Hansworth kick off at 2pm - see you all there.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

It will be interesting to see what happens when the womens game explodes in popularity and becomes financially profitable (which it will - very quickly) and whether or not the club allows the current setup to continue or moves in with a hostile takeover after providing no real assistance in the growth to get to that point.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching the Euros - Great sport and great to see English success for a change...

I think the growth of women's football will be interesting to see over the next few years, I don't think it's guaranteed to 'explode' unless managed very carefully.

Whether we like it or not, football is a business and like any business, profitable clubs succeed and grow, loss making clubs (without a wealthy benefactor) will fail and fold.

To my mind there are two key factors in any potential growth:

1 - Keep women's football on terrestrial free to air television - without the coverage the BBC has given the Euros, we probably wouldn't be discussing this. By reaching the biggest audience possible, the game can attract more players and fans. Compare this to cricket, which took the Sky dollar in the 90's and (at non test counties) has frankly been in slow decline ever since.

2 - Bums on seats - without the cash generated by increased attendances the game won't generate the profits to succeed and grow.

Should Wednesday get involved properly in the women's game - Absolutely yes, should it be with SWFC ladies - I don't know enough about the situation, or the thinking and wishes of those in charge to say.

I believe that they play at the 6th tier of women's football in a regional league and this season will be playing against teams such as Farsley Celtic and Bradford Park Avenue. I think they were relegated to this level last season. By way of contrast I went to see Sheffield FC Women a couple of times last season and they were playing at the third tier (albeit they were also relegated) whereas the men are at tier 8 and themselves only just avoided the drop. The direction of travel seems to be that the clubs higher up the divisions are more and more coming to reflect the clubs near the top of the men's game, except with Wednesday and a few other exceptions. 

I said last season I'd make the effort to go and watch the ladies team (home games are played at Sheffield Hallam Sports Park) but I didn't manage it in the end. Perhaps a few Owlstalkers should try and get to a game next season, although it would certainly help if the club promoted it a bit better. I'm not sure of the exact relationship between the teams but as long as they are called Sheffield Wednesday then that's the team I'll be supporting. 

Good to know, didn't have a clue where and what league they played in. Maybe the club could give them some space in the program and website. Even promote their games on the scoreboard. 

They have the Wednesday name so got to be a win win for the club to promote and support.

59 minutes ago, No Uniform said:

I will be honest I didn't know they existed until @YesWeCrann started reporting about them. I had searched historically to see if we had a linked football team, but nothing on the website. It's disappointing in the modern day.

I wish they'd do more, to be honest.

• Like 2

Blades are the only pro club round here that support and invest in their women's football team. They have done for many years and they are now reaping the rewards for doing so - exposure, increased attendances, additional pathways, etc. The next step for them is the WSL and you'd expect that to flourish over the next few years so they'd be joining that party at just the right time.

To absolutely nobody's surprise, our club does the bare minimum when it comes to supporting our women's football team - I believe they even had to buy their own kit at one stage. If I said this five years you would've probably just shrugged your shoulders, but it's yet another example of that lot across the city having the vision to see the bigger picture.

But in Liam Dooley I've been impressed. We're getting our house in order and it's not too late to work closer with our women's football team. In fact now would be the perfect time to do so.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fatzooma said:

Why do we refer to them as ‘Ladies’…it’s a bit patronising in much the same way as if we referred to the Mens game ‘Gentleman’s’..sounds very Victorian 

Because if they were called Wednesday T*ts and Fa**ies everyone would think we were talking about the supporters not the Ladies football team!

18 minutes ago, YesWeCrann said:

I wish they'd do more, to be honest.

I wish the Star would do more to be honest.

The Rotherham Advertiser often feature girls/ladies football teams. There was a report a couple of weeks ago about a team going to America and winning a big tournament, nothing in the Star.

8 hours ago, 0742 said:

To be fair, we are a league one club that is skint and the women's teams don't generate enough money to be self sufficient yet. I'd rather we get promoted and then start directing funds their way. That said, i am sure there are many non/minimal cost things the club could to help. Hopefully a lot more fans going to their games would be a good start and may make the club see the commercial opportunity to strengthen ties too 

How many other league one clubs have a women's team that they're funding too? 

Quick question to all concerned, if they had the Ladies playing a couple of hours before the men's team or even an hour or so after and charged say a fiver extra to watch (kids a quid) would you stay and make a day of it? Especially if the catering were up to scratch?

Might be a way to generate funds for them without a huge increase in costs.

4 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Quick question to all concerned, if they had the Ladies playing a couple of hours before the men's team or even an hour or so after and charged say a fiver extra to watch (kids a quid) would you stay and make a day of it? Especially if the catering were up to scratch?

It’s a no from me. 

26 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Why would you think anyone would want to go and pay when people arent going now when it is free.

Also I dont think they could play before the mens team as the league they are in is a Sunday league.