Sheffield Wednesday Ladies FC

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

There’s some illiterate economics going on in this thread.

I’m sure advertisers will be queuing up for the big marquee events where their profile will be seen by the hordes.

Will the same advertisers be queuing up to pay for advertising when the normal crowds return. 1000 according to the figures for the biggest clubs & 250 - 500 for the average. 

I’m all for them being self sufficient, but can’t see it happening. 

The mens game spans centuries to develop and it seems to me, the women’s game and all its hangers on, want everything instantly. Football league teams that had been in existence years, go bust because of lack of crowds, funding etc and non of the big clubs who subsidise womens football are anywhere to be seen. 

They should be patient, one step at a time, build the product through schools etc, take a measured realistic view and rein in the media & hysterical commentators who by making outlandish comparisons against the mens game do more harm than good and alienate people who were previously supportive of the women’s game. 

Rob,

It's an interesting point regards what's the best strategy to progress the women's game.

They were talking about this on Talksport radio yesterday highlighting Emma Hayes (Chelsea womens manager) in one of the main papers. Emma was saying in order to progress the women need to leave the FA and go under the umbrella of the Premier League, who have the expertise in promotion and generating money and investment.

Emma stated that women's success meant they deserve the financial rewards and their salaries should be closer to the mens game and she wants clubs to allow the women to play all their matches at the big mens stadia. Obviously Emma Hayes is enthusiastic and her idea is to strike whilst the iron is hot, probably mirrors @owlstalk's opinion.

There was a guest in the studio ( a female football historian who has wrote a few books on the subject) and the asked her what she thought about the suggestion to move women's football over to the PL. She said it needs a careful strategy and quick progression chasing the money can lead to a short term bonanza but might not be beneficial. She said the PL are all about making money and won't be interested in growing the womens game saying they have a poor record in distributing their wealth to grass roots football in the mens game.

She also said that the PL would probably prefer to give 3 or 4 women's teams loads of money so they can compete at Champions League level but would this benefit the game? Probably not when there's no competition for other clubs. Also there's the old boom and bust scenario if a business overstretches trying to grow too quickly.

The guest said she preferred a more organic longer lasting growth in the game, with a multi pronged approach focusing on grass roots with girls having the opportunity to play at school.

In the US they are 20 years ahead of us regards the women's game and it's a massive participation sport played by girls in schools but as a spectator sport it's still a minor sport with average gates of 6K to 7K, where the new mens league have average gates of 25K. 

So maybe the English women administrators can learn from the US league regards progressing the game commercially. Will be interesting to see if the huge enthusiasm is just a fad or has longevity. 

It's fantastic to see the England players become role models compared to Love Island, so I hope it succeeds.

• Like 1

On 02/08/2022 at 10:33, matthefish2002 said:

I think the Sheffield Wednesday ladies team are allowed to call themselves 'Sheffield Wednesday' and play in the kit but that is as far as any connection and association  with the club goes. 

I asked a question of Chansiri a few years back and the reply was when we get to the Premiership, that old chestnut 

On 02/08/2022 at 08:33, matthefish2002 said:

I think the Sheffield Wednesday ladies team are allowed to call themselves 'Sheffield Wednesday' and play in the kit but that is as far as any connection and association  with the club goes. 

Its a massive shame really.

They should be owned, run and funded by DC. The ladies team should be just as much as part of Sheffield Wednesday football club as the mens team.

Be great if we as fans, got the club to act, and went to some games.

On 02/08/2022 at 08:52, @owlstalk said:

It's not so much the financials of it but the fact the club don't even help with any publicity to help them grow.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the womens game explodes in popularity and becomes financially profitable (which it will - very quickly) and whether or not the club allows the current setup to continue or moves in with a hostile takeover after providing no real assistance in the growth to get to that point.

Do you really think there will be large growth in the Professional game ? 

I think there will at grass root level with girls wanting to give football a go. 

There will be a bit of an increase in interest at the teams with the International players but honestly don't think this will filter to the teams outside of maybe Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man United. 

Not sure if the right comparison but England winning the cricket World Cup has not increased crowds at the Counties.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hirstys_12th_Pint said:

Do you really think there will be large growth in the Professional game ?  

Yeah I don't see how it won't to be fair

The womens teams are snowed under with applications to play for them, tickets for the next englands womens match at Wembley Stadium in October have already sold out!

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, sheffsteel said:

Rob,

It's an interesting point regards what's the best strategy to progress the women's game.

They were talking about this on Talksport radio yesterday highlighting Emma Hayes (Chelsea womens manager) in one of the main papers. Emma was saying in order to progress the women need to leave the FA and go under the umbrella of the Premier League, who have the expertise in promotion and generating money and investment.

Emma stated that women's success meant they deserve the financial rewards and their salaries should be closer to the mens game and she wants clubs to allow the women to play all their matches at the big mens stadia. Obviously Emma Hayes is enthusiastic and her idea is to strike whilst the iron is hot, probably mirrors @owlstalk's opinion.

There was a guest in the studio ( a female football historian who has wrote a few books on the subject) and the asked her what she thought about the suggestion to move women's football over to the PL. She said it needs a careful strategy and quick progression chasing the money can lead to a short term bonanza but might not be beneficial. She said the PL are all about making money and won't be interested in growing the womens game saying they have a poor record in distributing their wealth to grass roots football in the mens game.

She also said that the PL would probably prefer to give 3 or 4 women's teams loads of money so they can compete at Champions League level but would this benefit the game? Probably not when there's no competition for other clubs. Also there's the old boom and bust scenario if a business overstretches trying to grow too quickly.

The guest said she preferred a more organic longer lasting growth in the game, with a multi pronged approach focusing on grass roots with girls having the opportunity to play at school.

In the US they are 20 years ahead of us regards the women's game and it's a massive participation sport played by girls in schools but as a spectator sport it's still a minor sport with average gates of 6K to 7K, where the new mens league have average gates of 25K. 

So maybe the English women administrators can learn from the US league regards progressing the game commercially. Will be interesting to see if the huge enthusiasm is just a fad or has longevity. 

It's fantastic to see the England players become role models compared to Love Island, so I hope it succeeds.

Whenever I hear Emma Hayes or Alex Scott talk about it I just think they’re wildly deluded. It’s just not possible to get it to anything like what the men’s game is in this country. And as a result the finances will always be limited.

If Wednesday ladies were playing I wouldn’t mind going to watch but there’s a few limitations to that. One is that I wouldn’t want to watch 40 times a year as watching the men’s team struggle year after year is already stressful enough. But big games and games when there’s no other football on then yes. And second is price.. it’s too expensive to go to Hillsborough as it is, we all know it.. even if you’ve got a season ticket you’re paying over £20 a game. To get numbers in to watch the girls you’re looking at a tenner a ticket or people will just duck it completely. 

Plus you’ll have plenty of people who just wouldn’t want to go at all. Net result of all that is that yes you could increase revenues but you’d be hoping that someone like me puts in £100 a season into the Women’s team whereas the men’s let’s say it’s £600. Revenue is going to be about 10% of the men’s side even if they got everything working well.

So the idea that they could somehow make salaries anywhere close to the mens game is deluded, it really is. The demand and money just isn’t there and never will be.

Consensus in this thread appears to be that they can just get all the girls playing football and they’ll want to do it as much as boys do. That’s not true by a long shot. It’s always going to just be something a minority of girls enjoy doing. The majority prefer other hobbies. 

The people involved in the women’s game already are blinkered and have a chip on their shoulder a lot of the time because they want equality (meaning women get the same money as men) as opposed to equality of opportunity (meaning they get the same commercial opportunities as men, which leads to lower revenues anyway as less demand). And they don’t understand the difference and feel hard done to.

3 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Whenever I hear Emma Hayes or Alex Scott talk about it I just think they’re wildly deluded. It’s just not possible to get it to anything like what the men’s game is in this country. And as a result the finances will always be limited. 

1) Why are you comparing to the men's game?

2) Your final sentence makes zero sense mate 

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

1) Why are you comparing to the men's game?

2) Your final sentence makes zero sense mate 

Because they’re comparing it to the men’s game themselves.

Personally I think they can grow it but it will always be limited by how much genuine interest there is. They think there’s much more than there actually is. You say they’ve sold out for the game against US but what are the ticket prices… I read the tickets on Sunday were £15 compared to £250 for the mens euro final, and that sums the revenue disparity issue up.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

And there you have it folks
Jesus christ

Sorry I meant equity (not equality) vs equality of opportunity.

Just now, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Sorry I meant equity (not equality) vs equality of opportunity.

Got ya

No worries

Thought you were one of them weirdo blokes who rants about women having equality or playing football and giving them a backhand slap for not having the tea on the table when they get in etc

lol

Apology accepted

Owlstalk Shop

46 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Its a massive shame really.

They should be owned, run and funded by DC. The ladies team should be just as much as part of Sheffield Wednesday football club as the mens team.

Be great if we as fans, got the club to act, and went to some games.

They let them on the pitch and parade them about once a year during half time. 
My little ‘un was almost crying she was so happy 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin Pressmans Pen said:

Because they’re comparing it to the men’s game themselves.

Personally I think they can grow it but it will always be limited by how much genuine interest there is. They think there’s much more than there actually is. You say they’ve sold out for the game against US but what are the ticket prices… 

Hang on hang on hang on

They've just sold 90,000 tickets in LESS THAN 24 HOURS 

Why are you now trying to include ticket prices in the debate????

Come on now mate - this is getting real silly

Your quote - "Personally I think they can grow it but it will always be limited by how much genuine interest there is. They think there’s much more than there actually is"

Let me just remind you

Tickets went on sale yesterday for a match at wembley

It's sold out

In less than 24 hours

90,000 tickets

Sold out mate

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Hang on hang on hang on

They've just sold 90,000 tickets in LESS THAN 24 HOURS 

Why are you now trying to include ticket prices in the debate????

Come on now mate - this is getting real silly

I mean if you want to pay them the same as what the men’s get they need to bring in the same money. If ticket prices are a fraction of what the mens are then they can only pay a fraction of what the men get even if they sell out