How did you become a fan of Sheffield Wednesday

My first Wednesday match at Hillsborough (my dad had taken me to watch Newcastle a few times when we visited family) was quite memorable, Boxing Day 1979.

I was 10 and we'd only moved to Sheffield 2 years before so I didn't really have any feelings for either of the Sheffield clubs. Went with a mate from school (still can't believe our parents let us go unsupervised), he was a Man Utd fan. Anyway, we were well and truly Wednesday fans by the end of the match. 

2 hours ago, Devonstrix said:

This is spot on. 
Boxing Day 1965 I was only nine and due to go to Rotherham v Man City at Millmoor Div 2.  It would have been my first live game of league football. Match postponed, frozen pitch. 

Fast forward to May 1966. A mate of my dad's who played in local league football, Parkgate or Rawmarsh, got two tickets for the FA cup final. He took me. That was how Wednesday chose me. 

Because of Boxing Day!

• Love 1

None of my parents are interested in football so it dident get passed down through them. but i remember as a 9/10 year old being taken on the weekly shop to the old Asda on handwsorth and seeing pictures of us (wednesday) winning the 1991 Cup and I was like ' I'm having some of that' Wembley was our second home in the early 90's premier league all the way through the 90s Carbone and Di canio 👌 Then after that been down hill 😪 feel sorry for Those who missed out on that era! Chin up we go again!!!🤣

• Like 1

Split family between Wednesday and Blades. First match I ever went to was Sheff Utd vs QPR. They lost 2-0, crap pie and it just felt wrong.

Going to Hillsborough with my old man there was much more of a connection and never looked back. Think I paid for my transgression of attending Utd by having a season ticket during the Jewell/Shreeves/Yorath era. The 0-0 vs Bradford still goes down as one of the worst games I've ever attended. 

Born on Leppings Lane & went to Parkside Rd School…….. Saw the ground almost every single day of my life till we moved what seemed  like a million miles away to Wadsley Bridge…… could still see the ground from my new bedroom window!

Ball boy  at the reserves home games in the central league then at the ripe old age of 14 became a glass collector at the Ozzie Owl Club at home games & Friday and Saturday nights!

Saw some things at that place that no 14 year old lad should ever see!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was always a fan of Scalectrix. I remember when I was just a boy and my parents bought my brother a rally set, it came with a small VW Golf and a Lancia Stratos. We'd race each other and when your car flew off, you had to lick the track as forfeit. 

I've been a Wednesday fan since. 

• Haha 1

First day at school aged 5 at lunch I was invited to play football my mate who was a year older told me it was Wednesday v United I asked him who he supported and he said Wednesday...that's all she wrote. BTW we lived at the bottom of Eccy Rd and my Dad and all my uncles were blades...we've never had a blade since in the family lol

• Love 1

I grew up in London following Tottenham, first game was watching them away at Stamford Bridge. My Mum moved us up to Sheffield in 1990 aged 8 and my new school friends supported Wednesday, I suppose the Rumbelows Cup win sealed it a year later that I was now an Owl.

If I could change anything, I'd have made sure I was 2 stone heavier and 6 inches taller as an 8 year old and told them to FFF Off I support Spurs.

To be fair though, I've only ever truly felt the highs and lows that football brings supporting Wednesday but they are much softened these days

Even though we were from lower Arbouthorne  / Heeley all the family were Owls , no bacon on a Sunday if Utd Won 

Also my Uncle was Landlord of the Park Hotel in the Sixties and early memories of playing in the old yard at the back on match days 

• Like 1

In 1970 a bunch of English doctors moved into our neighborhood.  One of them was a heart surgeon, so was my Dad, and soon our families became good friends. Dr. Packingham always referred to himself as a Yorkshire Man and was a Wednesday fan, Dad was a huge sports fan, and wanted to know about "soccer."

From 1970-74 our entire families would fly over to London, where the girls would stay, we guys would drive on up to Hillsborough.  During that time we'd go to Hillsborough 6 or 8 times a year.  

Been a fan ever since.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, BadBoy1762 said:

None of my parents are interested in football so it dident get passed down through them. but i remember as a 9/10 year old being taken on the weekly shop to the old Asda on handwsorth and seeing pictures of us (wednesday) winning the 1991 Cup and I was like ' I'm having some of that' Wembley was our second home in the early 90's premier league all the way through the 90s Carbone and Di canio 👌 Then after that been down hill 😪 feel sorry for Those who missed out on that era! Chin up we go again!!!🤣

I miss that ASDA tbh...

Dad took me, from a young age, during the 90s.

Fell in love with Di Canio / Carbone, it was spellbinding.

Wasn't bothered until then, really.

We'd sit at the back, on the kop, and I'd perch on the blue girders.

Once threw chuddy and it landed in a woman's perm.

She went ape.

• Haha 2

Mum, Dad and Brother had no interest in football.

Was given hand-me-down clothes by my aunt who had 2 older lads and lived in Shiregreen.

One lucky bag of clobber contained the following 3 shirts, would have been 7/8 at the time.

AF279A4B-8713-4B88-8E8E-7DC02ED7C7EE.jpeg.8adfc884be97d9176e814708aeed101f.jpeg35181560-6AF4-4716-B763-86500C6FEBDC.thumb.jpeg.f1dfb33ac91b972a9e08fa894bca2c1e.jpeg74B86867-DDEC-45CC-8D39-635E077A6620.jpeg.e924d96f421bee1fe1aeb7d8d4a873f2.jpeg