How did you become a fan of Sheffield Wednesday

When my uncle and his best mate were deemed old enough to get the bus to Sheffield on their own, they went to watch a match every weekend. 

They tossed a coin, my uncle ended up Wednesday, his mate ended up a pig. 

He made all of us Wednesdayites. 

Sometimes though, with the poo we've had to endure, I think he lost the throw. But then I see them lot, and my mind is changed. 

Uncle took me to a game when I was 6 or 7 and all my mates at School supported Wednesday.

Of course watching them win and play well is all part of it but to me supporting your local side and going with mates on the bus (or when l got old enough going for a drink before and after games) is another big reason I have carried on following them.

All my family who are interested in football are pigs, my half sister's dad was a Wednesdayite and used to take her to Wednesday games, I ended up going with them as my dad was never really bothered about football.

My first game was against Rushden & Diamonds, I think we drew 0-0, why I wanted to go again after that I'll never know, but I ended up going to every home game for about 10 years after that.

In short - Me and my brothers, followed my dad, and we were all Man U, in the days of Best, Charlton etc. Moved to Sheffield when i was 10, all my mates were either Utd or Wednesday, so i decided to support a local team, Utd in old Div 1, Wednesday in Div 2, so went for the underdogs at the time,  Both my boys are Owls, and my dad, never forgave me lol.

Got up to watch the FA Cup Final v Arsenal, as my Grandad was an Arsenal supporter. Tbh had never even heard of Wednesday before then, but the team I follow out here has blue and white stripes ..... Anyway, I remember I was eating cornflakes in bed when "Andy Linighan won the cup for Arsenal" and boy was I pissed off. Figured I must've been going for Wednesday all along. Moved over there maybe 5 months later. 

• Like 1

I was alway football mad as a youngster but my dad and two brothers had no interest . I lived at sh2 so the first game I ever saw was at bramall lane “ yes I know “ with my mates , the following week I went to hillsborough I can remember walking out at the top of the Kop  and thinking wow this was 1962 I was 9 we won 1 - 0 against Ipswich Alan Finley scored that was me hooked and it’s been a roller coaster since 🦉

My dad shares the same name as our full back Peter Johnson from the late 50's early 60's. He read in the paper when he was about 10 that 'he' had a good game for The Wednesday. That was it. When I was born I had no option and wouldn't change a thing. A home game was a 6 hour round trip from South West Cumbria, never mind away games but we did them!

It's stuck with me for life and proud to be a Wednesdayite. My Australian mrs got me the flag below for my birthday a couple of years ago, enclosed it's on national duty at the SCG in January at the 4th Test. WAWAW

image.png.2d15e7f4ec3dd33928dd4420adb7891d.png

• Like 3

Football wasn't a big thing in our family, there were a lot of Leeds fans at junior school but I didn't really take that much interest until the '78 World Cup, I followed the sport more after that, the Star gave away a team poster to celebrate the 1980 promotion campaign and I was hooked from there, 42 years of suffering later........................

Never followed my local sides (Stoke and Port Vale) - my old man wasn't in to football, eldest brother a Liverpool fan and middle brother not interested either. So initially I "supported" Liverpool because my big brother did, but I never really felt a connection. Early 90's was when I started to get in to watching football and seeing the likes of Hirst, Waddle etc. grabbed me. Been a downward curve ever since 🙂

Guest DoesJackHunt
19 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I just got told that's who I supported, really.

Didn't know what lay in store, so I didn't put up enough of a fight.

:duntmatter:

This is the same as me, if only I had known what was coming, I would have probably got in to rugby