How did you become a fan of Sheffield Wednesday

Guest Andy W
57 minutes ago, Taz said:

I didn’t have any older siblings or parent that got me into it. I went to hillsborough for nursery and y1 though.

also grew up on the Winn, where I’d play football on a Saturday, and we’d all cheer when we heard the crowd cheer at hillsborough when we scored. Would have been 91/92

I think I could see a bit of our training ground from my bedroom window but, tha could be some Mandela affect 

i don’t remember a time that I didn’t support Sheffield Wednesday, it was baked in before my first memories.

im always curious how some of our fans got into us that were from outside the uk 

My grandad took me to hillsborough to see us play Millwall, 1975. That was me hooked, could never be any other team

Btw, we lost 1-0 so that set the tone!

57 minutes ago, Castleford Owl said:

My Dad actually went to Elland Road before he followed Wednesday. Then I guess it just gets you. We used to take a 52 seater home and away from South Kirkby where i grew up in the 90's.

I used to just live the opposite side of Hemsworth from where you may have been then.   Sure maybe between 5 and 10 miles but not so far!

Raised that side of the city. Dad was a Wednesday fan who used to take me to games as a kid. 

I didn't like it though as I hated heights and we used to sit right at the top of the South (I think?) So I stopped going.

Got back into football in my teen years and started going to games. Found I actually quite enjoyed it despite us not being very good and well, here we are now. 

Nowadays I get Dutch locals to drunkenly chant Wednesday chants with me. 

Has its ups and downs but I wouldn't want to support anybody else. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Taz said:

Isn’t that rome 

Sheffield is twinned with rome only because both are built on 7 hills.

Bochum in Germany as both were industrial citys

Never heard the Pittsburgh one but presumably its to do with steel.

Born in Walkley to a Wednesday supporting family. Dad took me aged 6 to Hillsborough for the first time in October 1963. Fairs cup 2nd leg game versus DOS Utrecht. We won 4-1 on the night. 8-2 on aggregate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taz said:

I didn’t have any older siblings or parent that got me into it. I went to hillsborough for nursery and y1 though.

also grew up on the Winn, where I’d play football on a Saturday, and we’d all cheer when we heard the crowd cheer at hillsborough when we scored. Would have been 91/92

I think I could see a bit of our training ground from my bedroom window but, tha could be some Mandela affect 

i don’t remember a time that I didn’t support Sheffield Wednesday, it was baked in before my first memories.

im always curious how some of our fans got into us that were from outside the uk 

Similar really, in fact, my dad and older brother are forest but as young as I could remember, started to follow Wednesday, Dad took me to a game and that was it. Life sentence.