How did you become a fan of Sheffield Wednesday

From Wolverhampton, as a teen I just wanted to leave and move somewhere else, so never really got into my home team. Was dragged along to a few wolves matches. Ended up at the wolves Wednesday one in 91. Wolves won but the away fans looked liked they were having fun so kinda out of spite I just decided then to be a Wednesday fan. That was it

• Like 2

My dad was a Wednesdayite and started taking me to Hillsborough when I was about 10 (67 years ago). If he had been a Unitedite and had taken taken me to the Lane then I would be a United fan. That's why I can't understand the hatred of the other Sheffield team.

• Haha 1

Until the age of 9 I lived in Huddersfield. My father was from Glasgow and not really a football fan, though his club was Queen's Park. He would occasionally go to Leeds Road with a friend.

I just didn't have a team.

We then moved to Sheffield and whilst house hunting we would drive past Hillsborough which impressed me.

On my first day of school I was cornered in the bogs and asked "Wednesday or United?"

I replied "Wednesday" as I hadn't heard of United.

Been Wednesday ever since.

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

On 17/05/2022 at 19:43, Castleford Owl said:

My Dad actually went to Elland Road before he followed Wednesday. Then I guess it just gets you. We used to take a 52 seater home and away from South Kirkby where i grew up in the 90's.

The supporters  group started late 70s. always took a bus back in those days from Travellers  as well. Wednesday have always had a large following there. From Hemsworth myself originally

Mines probably not the most traditional way.

My Dad has never been into football so doesn't support a team (He watches England in Euros and World cup thats about it), growing up in a household that was not into football I wasn't massively into football, as I grew as a child around 8+ or so I was quite the joker, my grandfather was from Sheffield and was a Sheffield United fan as he used to live a few roads away from United's ground so I said I supported Wednesday mainly just to wind him up..   As I got older with friends etc I got more into football and when it came to supporting a team it was quite simple cause I had been saying I support Wednesday for so long I kept supporting Wednesday and have been a Wednesday fan ever since..

It also helped as a child I was rubbish at spelling and really struggled for some reason with the word Wednesday, but supporting Wednesday I soon learnt how to spell it..

• Like 1