How did you become a fan of Sheffield Wednesday

I was born and raised in Kent and always football mad but with no great allegiance to any team (did go to watch Gillingham occasionally).

In the season 1960/61, when I was 12 years old, Tottenham were the first team in the 1900s to do the Cup and League double. Living darn sarf all I ever heard was that Spurs were so wonderful. I got heartily sick of all this and was delighted to find a team who had the beating of them, that. team being ,of course, Sheffield Wednesday. Until I moved to the North of England in 1998 I could only attend odd games, usually in London, but I am now able to have a season ticket and attend most away games. In fact this season the only game I could not attend because of work commitments was the away Cup replay at Plymouth. Next year I intend going to every competitive match played by Wednesday. Despite all the up and downs over the years, I am glad that Wednesday chose me as it has been an interesting roller coaster ride. To cap it all I was born on a Wednesday in 1948.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

20 hours ago, Castleford Owl said:

My Dad actually went to Elland Road before he followed Wednesday. Then I guess it just gets you. We used to take a 52 seater home and away from South Kirkby where i grew up in the 90's.

There is a young Lady in South Kirkby who is Wednesday by birth, Wednesday by blood and Wednesday by name. Last time I saw her she was heavily pregnant,  I wonder if she called her first born Wednesday ?

20 hours ago, Castleford Owl said:

My Dad actually went to Elland Road before he followed Wednesday. Then I guess it just gets you. We used to take a 52 seater home and away from South Kirkby where i grew up in the 90's.

I used to go on that time to time

Dad started taking me to matches in 1969-70 relegation season.

He had started going himself with a work colleague a few years earlier when he started working at the steelworks at Templeborough after moving to Sheffield from Ireland. 

Born in Stannington, grew up on ParsonCross, me grandad, had season tickets for years,so did me Dad.I used to sit on me dad's knee ,first in South stand,then in West Upper.Had season tickets with me mrsin North stand.Now my son goes in North sometimes with his kids.A few years service there ,we must be crackers.

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

There is a young Lady in South Kirkby who is Wednesday by birth, Wednesday by blood and Wednesday by name. Last time I saw her she was heavily pregnant,  I wonder if she called her first born Wednesday ?

Yes, that is my Dad's cousin's daughter

Born and bred in Stannington. Dad used to carry me into the ground from age of about five. Sat with Dad, my Grandad and two brothers in the South Stand.  No choice but to support Wednesday. Would have been left out on a hillside to die if I'd gone any other way.  Some match days I think that might have been a mercy killing!

• Haha 1

Went to university In manchester mid 80s

Me and my room mates got some tickets for Wednesday vs man u at Hillsborough for my birthday 

The home fans blow me away ,made the trip to Hillsborough every weekend home game left that season and then had a season ticket for the next 22 years  

1 hour ago, US_Owl said:

Championship Manager 1993-94. Wasn’t too fussed about football, chose a team at random after loading it up on my Commodore Amiga, the rest is history.

That game has ruined many a man’s life one could say!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, liammm1991 said:

got picked in y2 at school to trial for the young owls, got in and became captain. First year we won the league and a national tournament and got to do a lap of honour at Hillsborough on the last game of the season. rest is history. 

Sad that the community programme or club don't seem to have time for the Young owls FCs these days

I was born and grew up in a small town midway between Leeds and Hull. Our local side was in the Northern Premier League, I used to go and watch them with my best mate who was also a Hull City supporter. I went a couple of times with him to Boothferry Park (Ken Wagstaff???) but don't really remember much about it. Then in 1971 I arrived in Sheffield at the Uni, and one of the Intro Week deals was tickets in the North Stand for Wednesday v Fulham so I got one and off I went. Hillsborough was the first proper football ground I'd ever been to, the size and the noise just blew me away, Wednesday won 4-0, I was hooked for life! 

UTO

• Like 1
  • Love 1