15 senior players due to leave SWFC

Dean went off twice in the 1st half of games. If that’s nothing to worry about in the eyes of our physios then he’s the one I hope is at SWFC next season more than anyone else. The rest fall into probably keep but it too bothered (Hunt etc), probably release but could be worth keeping (Berahino etc) or definitely release (Wildsmith etc). One person I’m less convinced than most on is Storey, I wouldn’t be against him coming back, but I think he gradually got found out and his form dropped in the last 6 games or so. I’d like 2 CHs next season to be really commanding, one of which could be Dean. Iorfa could be the second, but only if he’s fully fit. DMs recruitment will partly be based on whether he feels we should retry his 4-2-3-1 system or stick with 3-5-2

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Probably sounds worse than what it actually is…. Given that the likes of Shodipo and Kamberi fall into that category 

Gotta say, out of all the signings we made in the summer, Shodipo is the one I really had high hopes for, after the reviews he got from his spell at Oxford. I guess he was signed originally to be used in the 4-2-3-1 system, I don't think he was ever going to be useful as a wingback.

I'm sure I also read recently QPR were in discussions over a a new deal for him so they must obviously think something of him.

11 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Here's my Football Manager take on things...

Out of contract:

Hutchinson - offer a new deal and look to keep him as a squad player for another season

Paterson - shift the wages and find someone who better fits Moore's system, unless he's happy to sign terms which represent his status as a squad player

Berahino - take up the option to renew his deal for another season - we've only just started to see what he's capable of, and he's a decent option to have

Hunt - offer a new deal and look to recruit reinforcements at wingback to complement him and Johnson

Palmer - offer a new deal - we need versatile players who can slot in to a variety of roles (edit: just seen he already signed a new deal last autumn)

Luongo - offer a new deal, but he'll probably want away, unfortunately

Dunkley - bid farewell - he's put in some good performances this season, but I'm not sure he's what Moore's looking for

Wildsmith - bid farwell

Returning loans:

Kamberi - let him leave in order to preserve his status as an Owlstalk legend (a goal every 284 minutes, don't you know!?)

Dean - pull out all the stops to convince him to return on a permanent deal

Shodipo - bid farewell - it just hasn't worked out, has it?

Storey - do everything possible to get him back here next season, either on loan or as a permanent signing - unlikely, but you never know...

Peacock-Farrell - unlikely to return, I'd imagine

Gibson - decent, but consult the medical team at length before considering any kind of offer - is he up to regular football?

John-Jules - spunk the lot on him - he's clearly going to be an all-time great if we don't, just to spite us!

100% agree on all of that.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Out of contract:

Hutchinson

Paterson

Berahino

Hunt

Palmer

Luongo

Dunkley

Wildsmith

Returning loans:

Kamberi

Dean

Shodipo

Storey

Peacock-Farrell

Gibson

John-Jules

On a positive, Kamberi was on loan, I was thinking he was permanent. 

Did I miss John-Jules' testimonial? 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Anthndav said:

Byers, Gregory (how is a 17 goal striker not a success?), Storey, Dean, Berahino (to some extent, got better as time went on), Denis (very good but unlucky with injury). 

Hunt and Gregory have been good signings. Dean was what we have needed for years but didn’t play enough.

The rest have been average. 4th place in the pub league is nothing to shout about.

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Hunt and Gregory have been good signings. Dean was what we have needed for years but didn’t play enough.

The rest have been average. 4th place in the pub league is nothing to shout about.

Johnson has been superb. Byers very good lately.

Big hits Gregory, Hunt, Byers and Johnson.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The most difficult one is Luongo, when fit he is vital to the team but only been fit for 37 games out of the last 92 games. Can we afford to have a player who will struggle to play 20+ games a season.

i think now is the time we look at  Matty Longstaff or, Will Vaulk or,  Joe Rails.

On 12/05/2022 at 12:47, HopefulOwl said:

They're already in talks with Hutch

heard DC typed up a contract on his phone as Hutch was staggering off against Sunderland.

Got him to agree to being paid in tuna, but null and void without a signature and Hutch was too concussed to remember his own name.

Foiled again!

:Chansiri:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

The most difficult one is Luongo, when fit he is vital to the team but only been fit for 37 games out of the last 92 games. Can we afford to have a player who will struggle to play 20+ games a season.

i think now is the time we look at  Matty Longstaff or, Will Vaulk or,  Joe Rails.

Agree, he has looked a class above since he came back into the team. But, as you say it's a big call to commit to the wage he'd probably command based on his injury record. 

Also, even if 'fit', not convinced he can manage midweek games as well as Saturday games, so he would need some form of management and rotation in the squad. 

3 minutes ago, striker said:

Agree, he has looked a class above since he came back into the team. But, as you say it's a big call to commit to the wage he'd probably command based on his injury record. 

Also, even if 'fit', not convinced he can manage midweek games as well as Saturday games, so he would need some form of management and rotation in the squad. 

Which for a 29 year old, is very concerning. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Johnny Concrete said:

Gotta say, out of all the signings we made in the summer, Shodipo is the one I really had high hopes for, after the reviews he got from his spell at Oxford. I guess he was signed originally to be used in the 4-2-3-1 system, I don't think he was ever going to be useful as a wingback.

I'm sure I also read recently QPR were in discussions over a a new deal for him so they must obviously think something of him.

He'll turn up at Hillsborough next season with another team and have game of his life. :duntmatter:

On 12/05/2022 at 12:45, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Out of contract:

Hutchinson

Paterson

Berahino

Hunt

Palmer

Luongo

Dunkley

Wildsmith

Returning loans:

Kamberi

Dean

Shodipo

Storey

Peacock-Farrell

Gibson

John-Jules

I thought Sow was only on loan. 

On 12/05/2022 at 20:23, Anthndav said:

It's a huge opportunity. I must say Darren Moore's success in the transfer market this season leaves me hopeful for the future.

Success?

Good all season: Gregory, BPF

Good for half: Byers, Johnson 

Above average: Hunt, Storey, Dean

Average: Adeniran 

Below average: Berahino, Mendez-Laing, Corbeanu

Terrible: Gibson, Shodipo, Sow

Appaling: Kamberi, Brown, Wing

Laughable: John-Jules

You have low standards if you think that’s good enough.

• Haha 2

Id keep Hutch and make him captain, he reads the game so well and will put his body on the line for the club as proved in the game against Sunderland, i also think had he not been concussed in that game then he wouldve stopped Roberts getting the equaliser due to his better positioning and reading of the game, however some on here will blame him for getting concussed and going off.........go figure.

Its good to have opinions, right or wrong is irelevant.