Following a 2nd club

Second club or favourite club not including Wednesday (whatever most confortable with): Forest Green Rovers.

Watched them a few times and enjoy their brand of football but also really like the progressive attitudes towards sustainability that is the core philosophy of the club and their place within the local community. For me, they are the complete package for a football club. We'll likely be playing them next year too.

• Like 1

Dad’s from Shrewsbury so always went to their home games when we were there visiting family back in the day. Enjoyed following a little club when we were challenging with the big boys

Only over recent years we’ve started playing them more often (and losing) so suddenly that feeling of superiority has disappeared! 

15 hours ago, Mr Mercury said:

Rangers.
Few of us Been up to Ibrox loads of times and meet up with few Rangers lads , one of whom always puts us up for the weekend in his big house ! Fantastic people, 

Fantastic place - atmosphere is brilliant . We’ve done the tour of the ground couple of times too - amazing how many fans of English clubs are up there - we’ve met some on train up there - on the day itself , and on train back. 
Nothing compares to SWFC for us all …, we just enjoy it in a different way. 

Same here. Been to Ibrox more than I’ve been to Hillsborough. I’m more Wednesday than I am Rangers though, even though we’re on the decline and Rangers playing in Europe etc.

• Like 1

Sunderland. I arrived in Sheffield in 1971 as a student; first lad I met on day one in the hall of residence was from 'Sun'lan' (but we overcame the language barrier). He suggested getting the free tickets for Wednesday v Fulham, he knew how to get to the ground from the city centre (been before) and it was that event that got me supporting Wednesday. Where I grew up didn't have a league team so Hillsborough absolutely blew me away (4-0 win helped as well). I became an adopted Mackem and went to loads of away games with 'The Lads', including the '73 FA Cup Semi against Arsenal AND the Final against Leeds. I didn't have a ticket but I travelled down with the lads for the p*ss up and by a bit of random subterfuge they managed to get me into the ground. What a day! My mate still lives in Sheffield so we see each other often; their fortunes have been similar to ours so I really do wish them well.

• Like 2

Don't really have a second team as such.

Certainly none of the big uns. 

Me hate for most em ingrained. 

Always looked for the other local sides in the Green Un as a kid.   Read all  their reports too. 

Didn't realise at that time that most em didn't like us. But I was always interested what they were doing. 

Sometimes even now the odd name will suddenly pop in me head from back in them days of poring over the Green Un reports.  Owen Archdeacon...  Brendan Ormsby.... Clive Mendonca ...Jamie Hewitt...Rufus Brevitt. Proper names them. 

I always have a look for Cowdenbeath as they were once on Saint and Greavsie.

There was some old bloke up there did everything.

Marked the pitch, painted the stands. Worked on the turnstile.  He even made all the pies for half time. Ran off and turned the ovens on once he'd finished flogging programmes. So I've always kept an eye out for them. 

Them and Stranraer. Me mate supported them. He was from there. 

So them two and Keith FC.

Because, well, a team called Keith. It piques yer interest really. Wondering If they were named after an actual bloke. 

Also, due to a smudge in me Rothmans year book I inadvertently thought their nickname was 'The Morons' for about 3 years, till I realised they were actually  The Maroons.

Had a soft spot for Barcelona when Lineker went there. I loved Gary Lineker when I was a kid. But went off em when everyone started w'nking about em all along. The slavering makes me badly.

That and mebbe I'm just accustomed to failure and can't resonate wi success.

Anyway, I think the thing with me is, they can't really  be an English proffesional club. 

Unless one is playing one if the big teams in the cup, then obviously I'll support em.

I like to get along and watch Hallam and Club when I get a minute. You can't beat a game, a pie, a proper brew and being able to stand where you want for under a tenner can you really?

• Like 2

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

All my family have been Wednesday fans apart from my Mum who is a Spireite...I look out for their results and also for Brechin City... That stems ftom when we deigned Willie Lawson frtom them in 1969 and it was a feature article in Topical Times Football Annual -  I'd never heard of them but checked results ever since!! 😄 I've also watched Carmarthen Town a few times down here in the Welsh League and even seen them in the Uefa Cup!! 

For my whole life, no club can turn my stomach inside out when conceding a goal or make me forget who or where I am when they score, like Sheffield Wednesday can.

I do follow\ have a soft spot for other clubs for various reasons:

St Johnstone - a mate supported them and I played for their fanzine team for a while

Glentoran - a lost week in Belfast for a pre-season friendly in 1994 against the aforementioned Saints

Ajax - 1970s success, the kit, Amsterdam

Bayern Munich - I couldn't have been the only lad in Sheffield supporting them in the 1975 European Cup Final. Surely some of you were as well?

Unlikely we'll ever play any of them, but the 92/93 UEFA cup run was a close call on Ajax.

But when it comes to English and Welsh clubs, I don't know if it's the risk they may play Wednesday or it's just sacred territory, no chance I'll ever support anyone else.

I've not lived in Sheffield since 1984 so the hatred of the pigs has eased a little bit.

When asked who I support these days (usually by a follower of one of the big 6 or Arsenal) I tend to respond, "Sheffield Wednesday and whoever is playing Leeds". I am aware this can be considered to downgrade my support of Wednesday and our position regarding Leeds.

When it comes to other English clubs, I'm much more an "un fan". So I regularly find myself wanting the opponents to win when watching on tv, big games etc. And the list is long.....

United

Leeds

Newcastle

Chelsea

Arsenal

Everton

Man Utd

spurs

etc

And England? No chance. Seen them away a few times and too many walking shouting nightmares holding Nazi salutes during the national anthem. No thank you.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Since 1971 said:

For my whole life, no club can turn my stomach inside out when conceding a goal or make me forget who or where I am when they score, like Sheffield Wednesday can.

I do follow\ have a soft spot for other clubs for various reasons:

St Johnstone - a mate supported them and I played for their fanzine team for a while

Glentoran - a lost week in Belfast for a pre-season friendly in 1994 against the aforementioned Saints

Ajax - 1970s success, the kit, Amsterdam

Bayern Munich - I couldn't have been the only lad in Sheffield supporting them in the 1975 European Cup Final. Surely some of you were as well?

Unlikely we'll ever play any of them, but the 92/93 UEFA cup run was a close call on Ajax.

But when it comes to English and Welsh clubs, I don't know if it's the risk they may play Wednesday or it's just sacred territory, no chance I'll ever support anyone else.

I've not lived in Sheffield since 1984 so the hatred of the pigs has eased a little bit.

When asked who I support these days (usually by a follower of one of the big 6 or Arsenal) I tend to respond, "Sheffield Wednesday and whoever is playing Leeds". I am aware this can be considered to downgrade my support of Wednesday and our position regarding Leeds.

When it comes to other English clubs, I'm much more an "un fan". So I regularly find myself wanting the opponents to win when watching on tv, big games etc. And the list is long.....

United

Leeds

Newcastle

Chelsea

Arsenal

Everton

Man Utd

spurs

etc

And England? No chance. Seen them away a few times and too many walking shouting nightmares holding Nazi salutes during the national anthem. No thank you.

Infairness I've watched England at wc2006, Euro 2016 And several games in between never seen Nazi salutes, times have changed and odd bits of bother but usually started by opposition as think all England fans are still stuck in the 80's.

• Like 1

Went and watched Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC last night. A very well taken MVFC opening goal was cancelled out about 5 minutes later by an almost scrambled goal from inside the 6 yard box, leaving about 6 defenders all looking at each other. Another well worked goal from Victory was also cancelled out almost instantly from a Sydney FC corner, where it appeared the Victory defenders simply didn't jump for the header. I did think to myself that it was just a little dejavu ish. 

• Like 1

I only ever followed Wednesday until I moved to Sutton in 2003, and then fast forward to 2016 when my 2 lads (twins) signed for Sutton United U12’s, so we then also started going to watch the first team occasionally. And then in 2021 one of my boys moved into the U18 academy at Sutton, whilst his brother has cooled his interest in football and is now doing a plumbing apprenticeship. But Sutton United has definitely won my heart (not on the scale of how I feel for Wednesday) but I go to a few games here n there, and obviously with the added interest of my lad being in the U18’s, I’m invested, for now. Not sure I’d have quite the same passion if he left the club and played his football elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2022 at 09:22, Portia said:

What are peoples views regarding supporting or just following a second club. Through work I've come into contact with a lot of away fans at both Hillsborough and Toy Town this season and heard a lot of them discussing their "other" club. The club is usually a top Premier league side and it seems a more common phenomenon amongst the younger element. One of the strangest moments was seeing two scunthorpe fans giving each other grief with one being a fan of Manchester United and the other Liverpool.

I find it all a bit weird as it doesn't seem that common in our fanbase, probably due to us viewing ourselves as a big club. Having Said that I do look out for the results of another Club (Millwall) but the results don't really effect me at all in the same way that Wednesdays do. 

Years ago I used to have a bit of n affinity with Newcastle, due to the fact for about a decade we spent most of our time working away up there, even going to midweek games  with a few of the plumbers from up there I became mates with. Especially as it relieved the boredom of either sitting in the pub most nights or in digs watching rubbish on the TV. 

Though With recent events at Oldham, shezza on his 5/6th stint as manager coupled with stobbs being there  & hunt on loan now I think I'll be cheecking on their results to see how they're getting on. 

I seem to find my 2nd club being the one that intrigues me the most that season.

Over the years it's been Chelsea, Man City and now it's currently Newcastle. I think it's fascinating regarding their takeover. The Dissident show on Amazon, about the journalist was an eye opener, mentioned MBS quite alot.

I would say to anyone though, don't fall down the rabbit hole of putting money into your 2nd club. I've travelled to the Etihad many times and tbh, you're just paying the super rich more to go and enjoy their holidays. 4 trips to the Etihad in one season, is near enough a week abroad in the sun. Look after yourself first