Following a 2nd club

12 hours ago, Portia said:

What are peoples views regarding supporting or just following a second club. Through work I've come into contact with a lot of away fans at both Hillsborough and Toy Town this season and heard a lot of them discussing their "other" club. The club is usually a top Premier league side and it seems a more common phenomenon amongst the younger element. One of the strangest moments was seeing two scunthorpe fans giving each other grief with one being a fan of Manchester United and the other Liverpool.

I find it all a bit weird as it doesn't seem that common in our fanbase, probably due to us viewing ourselves as a big club. Having Said that I do look out for the results of another Club (Millwall) but the results don't really effect me at all in the same way that Wednesdays do. 

Wednesday and only Wednesday are the one that I support and the result and heartache that follows is the only one that affects me. That said any other team that is playing the grunters has my support for 90 mins, been around the world with England but that is now wearing thin and the last two are Rangers and my local club Buxton Town

• Like 1

Rangers.
Few of us Been up to Ibrox loads of times and meet up with few Rangers lads , one of whom always puts us up for the weekend in his big house ! Fantastic people, 

Fantastic place - atmosphere is brilliant . We’ve done the tour of the ground couple of times too - amazing how many fans of English clubs are up there - we’ve met some on train up there - on the day itself , and on train back. 
Nothing compares to SWFC for us all …, we just enjoy it in a different way. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PEARSON said:

I think a lot of it depends on where you live and the size of clubs in your area. If you lived somewhere like Grimsby you’d support your local, who are a small team with virtually no chance of success in your lifetime. So it’d be understandable to also have a second team like Liverpool where you can watch world class players and enjoy the success that comes with it. Likewise if you lived in Manchester and supported Man Utd yes you’ve got the success and the world class players but you’ve also got the high ticket prices, the closed shop away days, football tourists etc. It makes sense to have a second team in your area like Rochdale or something that you can enjoy when you get fatigued with all that. I think in Sheffield you’re probably less likely to have people supporting second teams cos we’re stuck in a torturous middle ground of being clubs with some small outside chance of success or getting into the premier league but you’re also not far off having a disastrous season and then spending the next 6 seasons in league one. The followings big enough to not crave more but small enough for tickets to be easy to come by for home games and away days being accessible if you go to plenty of games or ask about or go to the southern / midweek games.

Some good points there 👏🏻 

• Like 2

If I was going to have a second team it’d have to be a tiny (ideally non-league - far as I’m concerned any of the 92 are a Wednesday rival, current or potential, on some level!) and super-local to wherever I was living. It would also have to be one I got to see play at least semi-regularly, as they’re not going to be on TV or radio given the above and I can’t bring myself to get invested in a team just because I think their kit looks cool or whatever.

So a tiny local non-league club that only ever plays when Wednesday don’t. Not really leaving me many options tbh!

Nope, a life of Wednesday woe for me then. Dammit early ‘90s SWFC, you saw 8-year-old me coming a mile off didn’t you?

lol:duntmatter:

ST holder with the  blue and white Whitecaps.

Thinking about how it may be all my fault that SWFC never live up to expectations I recently thought I should pick one of the Big Six and support them all the way down and out of the league.  Why should the Owls be the only team suffering because I follow them?

Never liked Spurs so they are a definite candidate 😎

• Like 1

You cannot be a real true supporter of a club and follow another..... end of. You can like another club to do well.... maybe and you can follow more than one club but your not a real supporter of any club if you support more than one. You can like Real Madrid or Barca but if Wednesday play them only Wednesday winning is in your mind (weather its possible to win doesn't come in to it) 

• Like 2

All my family are from Cleethorpes and Grimsby and I was also born there so I always look at for Grimsby's result. 

Went to university in Sunderland. That football club is a religion there. Absolutely everything seems to revolve around the club and the stadium. Very passionate fans so I've always wished them well and looked for their result too. Except when playing us obviously. 

You can't 'support' other clubs though. Wednesday have been the team I went to watch every week from a young age. They are really the only club I care about. 

Edited by poite

I have a few "favourites" from other European leagues, who I keep an eye out for their results and will watch if they are on TV:

Italy: Fiorentina and Atalanta

Spain: Valencia and Villareal

Germany: Schalke

When it comes to other English teams there's nobody. If I'm watching a game on TV I usually just side with the underdog.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, McShefferty said:

I have a few "favourites" from other European leagues, who I keep an eye out for their results and will watch if they are on TV:

Italy: Fiorentina and Atalanta

Spain: Valencia and Villareal

Germany: Schalke

When it comes to other English teams there's nobody. If I'm watching a game on TV I usually just side with the underdog.

Nice to see another Schalke supporter , ironic to see former Wednesday target Terrode scoring for fun whilst our own forwards struggle to score in a brothel 

Always had a soft spot for Grimsby. My uncle Jim was their club photographer for many years 70’s/80’s and as a teenager with aspirations to be a photographer myself I used to stay with him and he would lend me a camera and take me with him on match day. 

I’ve got some great photos of Tony Ford scoring a goal and celebrating right in front of me.  

But that’s different to supporting a second club, can’t imagine ever feeling the emotions that I feel with Wednesday with any other club