Following a 2nd club

6 hours ago, NorthernOwl said:

I live in York, go to games sometimes and always look out for their results.

Its a fun distraction but as others have said it's impossible to care about their results in the same way as I do for Wednesday.

saw a few on the train saturday coming back from kidderminster to york . unreal that a city club like york is mid table in nat league north , my god what idiots run that club? surely should be league 1 at least and looking to get higher.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Portia said:

Are there many owls in buxton? I'd imagine the close proximity to Manchester would probably see loads choosing Manchester United. Id imagine there being a lot of Derby fans too. Wednesday seem to draw more support away from South Yorkshire than our closest rivals.

Quite a fair Owls following in Buxton and its outskirts (I live in Harpur Hill, an outskirt, where there are a number of us.) it's amazing the way you can follow the trail home from home matches. I've also lived in Clowne, between Chesterfield and Worksop, where , in the nearby villages, there were large followings, Creswell itself once had the largest branch of the ood SW Supporters club branch outside Sheffield. I originated from Hoyland , near Barnsley,which also had one.

Whilst never living within 30 min drive fro S6, I've been a Wednesdayite since 1947.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I follow several teams to different degrees and  for different reasons but there is a big difference between  following  and supporting , I only support Wednesday.

Teams  I follow

Manchester United

Middlesborough

Derby

Lincoln

Barrow

Boston

Chesterfield

Belper

Ilkeston

Barceloana

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

Haven't they stopped playing at Hampden Park now?

Yeah, they play at Lesser Hampden now which is like a little shed at the bottom of the garden. Not sure what happened but I think they were forced to sell it to the SFA for a relatively small amount of money. They are using the money to move up the league and they are higher than they have been in my life. But once the money has gone they will be just like all the other minnows. Shame really because I liked it when they shared Hampden. Bit of a contradiction from the SFA - they didn't want a bunch of amateurs running about churning the pitch up - but they still let Scotland play there!

Wednesday first and foremost. I follow various other teams in domestic and foreign leagues simply to keep an interest in said league. None of their results ruin or make my day particularly, unlike Wednesday. In no particular order…

Spain- Real Madrid (Zidane era onwards)

Italy- Juventus (simply because I like their shirts)

France- Lyon (Juninho Pernambucano)

Germany- Dortmund (no particular reason)

Prem- Arsenal (Bergkamp/ Henry/ Pires)

Holland- Ajax (Seedorf/ Davids etc)

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, morganowl said:

saw a few on the train saturday coming back from kidderminster to york . unreal that a city club like york is mid table in nat league north , my god what idiots run that club? surely should be league 1 at least and looking to get higher.

Yeah it's mad. They are a full time professional club whilst everyone else in National league north is part time (apart from 1 other maybe). Yet they still can't get promoted.

Also playing in a brand new 8000 seater stadium which is ridiculous for the level they are at. 

As a minimum they should be league 2 with potential to go higher. 

Guest Giant Hogweed

Torquay for me and my lad (MRRodge).

Long story but we are members of The Yorkshire Gulls, and I was at Altrincham on Saturday 😀

Edited by Giant Hogweed

Absolutely no interest in any other UK club.

I like Barcelona, have done since the mid 80s when they weren't even that good (their star player was Steve Archibald), but if they lose I'm not really bothered. Except when they blew a 3 goal lead against the Scousers, God I hate that club and fanbase. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Portia said:

What are peoples views regarding supporting or just following a second club. Through work I've come into contact with a lot of away fans at both Hillsborough and Toy Town this season and heard a lot of them discussing their "other" club. The club is usually a top Premier league side and it seems a more common phenomenon amongst the younger element. One of the strangest moments was seeing two scunthorpe fans giving each other grief with one being a fan of Manchester United and the other Liverpool.

I find it all a bit weird as it doesn't seem that common in our fanbase, probably due to us viewing ourselves as a big club. Having Said that I do look out for the results of another Club (Millwall) but the results don't really effect me at all in the same way that Wednesdays do. 

Having second clubs is only for the likes of Rovrum fans.

Wednesday & England is all you need.

I used to just be fixated on Wednesday and Wednesday only, but the past few years I’ve taken much more of an interest in other clubs. Man Utd for example, living in Manchester, I find their fall from grace fascinating and follow them pretty heavily. I probably know their results and who they’re playing next more often than I do Wednesday 

Edited by FreshOwl

25 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I used to just be fixated on Wednesday and Wednesday only, but the past few years I’ve taken much more of an interest in other clubs. Man Utd for example, living in Manchester, I find their fall from grace fascinating and follow them pretty heavily. I probably know their results and who they’re playing next more often than I do Wednesday 

I don't mind either Manchester club tbh. Much prefer them both to Liverpool. Can't stand Klopp he's a miserable fool when they don't win.

• Like 1

I find it weird if you have a "second club" in the PL or roughly at our level, but totally in favour of fans adopting non-league clubs and/or clubs abroad. 

Of course that suits me as someone who regularly goes to Bradford PA, sporadically to Hearts and used to have a season ticket at Chemie Leipzig :biggrin: That being said, while I'd say I "follow" them, as opposed to taking a casual interest, the emotional investment doesn't come close to Wednesday.

• Like 3

I think a lot of it depends on where you live and the size of clubs in your area. If you lived somewhere like Grimsby you’d support your local, who are a small team with virtually no chance of success in your lifetime. So it’d be understandable to also have a second team like Liverpool where you can watch world class players and enjoy the success that comes with it. Likewise if you lived in Manchester and supported Man Utd yes you’ve got the success and the world class players but you’ve also got the high ticket prices, the closed shop away days, football tourists etc. It makes sense to have a second team in your area like Rochdale or something that you can enjoy when you get fatigued with all that. I think in Sheffield you’re probably less likely to have people supporting second teams cos we’re stuck in a torturous middle ground of being clubs with some small outside chance of success or getting into the premier league but you’re also not far off having a disastrous season and then spending the next 6 seasons in league one. The followings big enough to not crave more but small enough for tickets to be easy to come by for home games and away days being accessible if you go to plenty of games or ask about or go to the southern / midweek games.

• Like 2