Following a 2nd club

On 25/01/2022 at 23:27, Since 1971 said:

For my whole life, no club can turn my stomach inside out when conceding a goal or make me forget who or where I am when they score, like Sheffield Wednesday can.

This... even with a season ticket at HJK goals for and against never seemed to get me like swfc ones do. Was nice to see mates going through the emotions i do with wednesday however.

Hearts for me being born and raised in Edinburgh. I’m not sure if I’d class them as a second team, probably on the same level as Wednesday to be honest.

We’ve never played each other in my lifetime and I doubt Wednesday will be in Europe anytime soon so I don’t see it being an issue lol

If there was a friendly between the clubs I’d go in the away end for whoever was travelling.

• Like 1

On 24/01/2022 at 15:58, Geedee said:

I follow several teams to different degrees and  for different reasons but there is a big difference between  following  and supporting , I only support Wednesday.

Teams  I follow

Manchester United

Middlesborough

Derby

Lincoln

Barrow

Boston

Chesterfield

Belper

Ilkeston

Barceloana

How did you end up following Boston?

1 hour ago, OwlsPilgrim said:

How did you end up following Boston?

My Uncle had a caravan sited near the malcolm Arms pub in the seventies we used to go quite a lot and we got to know a lot of the locals 

I have kept an eye on Boston ever since.

On 25/01/2022 at 21:55, Waddle93 said:

Infairness I've watched England at wc2006, Euro 2016 And several games in between never seen Nazi salutes, times have changed and odd bits of bother but usually started by opposition as think all England fans are still stuck in the 80's.

i went to South Africa for the 2010 world cup, nearest we came to trouble was when i nearly stuck a fikken vuvuzela up some ones aris, i hate vuvuzelas

• Haha 1

Born Bristol so look out for Rovers results .

Moved about a bit 

Up to lakes on solway coast didn't like Carlisle where I worked so I used go watch Queen of the South

Then down to near Crewe seen the odd port vale game .

Next move is Blaenau ffestiniog .. I enjoy watching the local team there 

But I keep an eye on owls scores throughout

only go to see owls at away games in and around where I live at the time .. did have a 2 year season ticket but work and traveling made it hard work  

Sigma Olomouc is my Czech team had a girlfriend out there and was an excuse to get away and have a few beers 

On 25/01/2022 at 00:41, Whitecap Owl said:

ST holder with the  blue and white Whitecaps.

Thinking about how it may be all my fault that SWFC never live up to expectations I recently thought I should pick one of the Big Six and support them all the way down and out of the league.  Why should the Owls be the only team suffering because I follow them?

Never liked Spurs so they are a definite candidate 😎

Don’t think Spurs need your help mate, they do a decent job of f-ing up every season 😂

West Ham for me. Step Dad is a Hammer, been to quite a few games with him Home(Upton Park) and away. Or should that both be away for me? 

He follows us home and makes a few away with us so maybe he’s converted!

On 24/01/2022 at 09:22, Portia said:

What are peoples views regarding supporting or just following a second club. Through work I've come into contact with a lot of away fans at both Hillsborough and Toy Town this season and heard a lot of them discussing their "other" club. The club is usually a top Premier league side and it seems a more common phenomenon amongst the younger element. One of the strangest moments was seeing two scunthorpe fans giving each other grief with one being a fan of Manchester United and the other Liverpool.

I find it all a bit weird as it doesn't seem that common in our fanbase, probably due to us viewing ourselves as a big club. Having Said that I do look out for the results of another Club (Millwall) but the results don't really effect me at all in the same way that Wednesdays do. 

I don't think it really matters. I look for my home town club, Northampton and Wednesday who I grew up supporting.

Started going to Stocksbridge Park Steels this season, really good experience that has renewed my love of football after it almost slumped to just watching old World Cups on YouTube, and looking forward to tournaments...although the scenes on Euro final day spoiled that for me. 

So, I'm definitely more interested in SPS now rather than SWFC , although you never forget your first love and I may go to the odd game again in the right circumstances.

Honourable mentions  for Derry City,  I went to all their ' away' games whilst living in Dublin as a mate over there was a big fan..I've even been to the Brandywell which was an interesting experience! , and for Athletic Bilbao who I have followed for 30 years as a good friends family is from there and he's mad into them. I love their whole footballing philosophy and history, and always try to get the friendlies they play over here.