Following a 2nd club

What are peoples views regarding supporting or just following a second club. Through work I've come into contact with a lot of away fans at both Hillsborough and Toy Town this season and heard a lot of them discussing their "other" club. The club is usually a top Premier league side and it seems a more common phenomenon amongst the younger element. One of the strangest moments was seeing two scunthorpe fans giving each other grief with one being a fan of Manchester United and the other Liverpool.

I find it all a bit weird as it doesn't seem that common in our fanbase, probably due to us viewing ourselves as a big club. Having Said that I do look out for the results of another Club (Millwall) but the results don't really effect me at all in the same way that Wednesdays do. 

• Like 1

I used to follow Hull City and Stevenage, as a result of having lived in both places.

But since they both did the dirty over us in recent times, I’m not @rsed any more.

Embarrassingly I’m now starting to take a little more interest in Chesterfield and am hoping they get back into the league.

It is only Wednesdays results that affect my daily mood but I often 'follow' teams that I admire, usually underdogs that are well organised or play good football.

Perhaps it's because they are the clubs that we should be, maximising their full potential and have a template our owner would do well to copy. I'm talking about the likes of Leicester, Brighton, Brentford and not the big 4.

• Like 5

My son plays football on saturday mornings, and I live in the well heeled and leafy shires in the South, so if he has a later kick off I can't make it to Hillsborough any more.  So last few seasons I go with kids and see MK Dons instead when I can't get to SWFC.   Difficult club to get an emotional attachment to, but a lovely stadium, very cheap and kids enjoy it as a fair few of their mates also go there for similar reason (ie Prem league team supporters who cant get tickets so see MKD instead).    My kids to be fair are now tipping into being MKD fans which I guess was always long term plan of the club.  

Wasn't expecting us to  be in same league as them any time soon when I started doing it - we were looking good under Carlos and they were in league 2.

I don't think I could follow another professional club apart from Wednesday.

As I have got older I don't mind other Yorkshire sides (Minus Sheff U and Leeds) have they day in the Sun with a Play Off win or a good cup run.

I don't see a problem with people having a second club which is a non league club as well.

But having a second club which is a big Premier League club isn't for me.

39 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

I live in York, go to games sometimes and always look out for their results.

Its a fun distraction but as others have said it's impossible to care about their results in the same way as I do for Wednesday.

Moved to York - short walk from the station. I've been thinking about going sometime. 

• Like 1

Nope - it's this one or nothing - however flawed, bizarre, crap, frustrating, emotional it may be.

No matter how much it makes my p.iss boil, or angry, disappointed, incredulous, disillusioned, distraught & disgusted.

All for a decent season in 10 or 3 wins on the spin occasionally.

It's my life and it either makes my weekend or destroys it.

Nothing in between.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only have interest in Wednesday. I don’t even look at the other league tables other than the one we are in. It’s not because I’m a super fan or anything. I just think football has become a bit of a shîte sport really. I support Wednesday because I always have and I enjoy matches with my dad. My two sons are notional Wednesdayites but actually have been to our local non league side twenty times more than they have been to Hillsborough. 

• Like 1

I was born to a Sheffield family in a small midlands town as they'd moved due to my Dad's work. So I was indoctrinated at a very early age in my first shirt (Brillo / Bukta depending on your point of view) aged two. I'm Wednesday through and through - even writing for the programme for some years now.

But I have been known go through the gates of my local team, Rugby Town. I cheer along and join in with songs but it doesn't really matter. Right now I couldn't tell you last time I went, where they are in the league or even with any certainty what league they're in! 

Truth be told I only really took any notice of the fact they existed when I was a school kid and they hosted the porcine quarter in a pre-season friendly. Thought it'd be funny to turn up in a Wednesday shirt.

Wouldn't think of properly supporting anyone but Wednesday.

Wednesday really matters.

• Like 2