Darren Moore is trying to play possession based attacking football

There are never any solutions offered…we’re always trying to do this that and the other, and always being aware of how wonderful the opposition are. By now this set of players should be a rock solid unit capable of destroying some of the opposition we’ve played and giving the upper echelons like Plymouth a decent competitive game. Good grief man! Get a flippin grip.

Look at the Prem sides that are riddled with philosophy 

The possession part of their game, is really just a team of Chuckle Brothers, defending with the ball 

They score on the counter, or by nicking the ball off the oppositions backline 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

"We are trying to play on the front foot and that's what we are working towards that.

Will that happen overnight?

I see wonderful signs of players coming in and understanding and we have to continue with that.

We are trying to play the possession-based, attacking football"

"Here at Wednesday, we are all new together. We are a new squad and getting settled into a new system.

We have got players in the building with different attributes.

We played Wimbledon last week and it was a clear footballing match.

We played Cambridge on a Tuesday night which was more of a percentage game with the conditions.

Sometimes you might get a clust of games with half a dozen games where I don't feel a need to change the squad.

You have to be adaptable in this league and you have to be ready for it.

We have got 24 players but we are a team. There are 24 players that I have got to worry about and make sure I get them up to match speed. I have to get all 24 players ready so they are ready to perform for the team"

"We are playing a little quicker and we are getting more of that understanding.

We felt we needed to get more tempo and rhythm to our games.

We have to keep that forward momentum."

"We have had double figure attempts on goal in the last two games so that has been positive.

The shot conversion has gone up. The creativity in chances has been there.

Our ruthless mentality has not been there.

I feel like we have got the right players at the club to take those chances."

Is football this complex?

We've got good players, let them play to their strengths and that's your formation/system sorted. 

I get that players learn to play together and have to get to know each other so its gonna take time but sometimes I just think you can overthink the beautiful game and stifle creativity and spontaneity. 

I also think the 'over' reaction on here has been too much. We're doing OK at times and we'll get better as the season goes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Manwë said:

I'm going to go out on a limb but I think Moore will go on to be one of the greatest managers in the history of Sheffield Wednesday and certainly the most successful manager in our generation.

Today is Friday October 22, 2021 and I'm calling it as I see it will become.  

Join the Wednesday rally or get left behind. 

That's the spirit. I hope you're right. I'm not convinced but, unlike some, I haven't written him off just yet. 

• Like 4

Sounds to me like he wants to use all 24 players as much as possible which is a fine aspiration but it doesn't win games. Maybe DC could do him a favour and sell 4 or 5 players in the new year. There you go Darren now you can have everyone on the team sheet every week and still have a settled side.

We don't have an identity, until we do we will have good games and bad. Personally I'd like us to use our power and superior skills to dominate teams, bully them and rack up the wins. In most games it's us that got bullied.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

To be fair you do have to adapt to teams in this league in ways you don't in the Championship. All Cambridge did was lump long balls, free kicks and throwns ins into the box. Don't think they took a set piece short once did they.

But Cambridge had a tactic, every long ball had a big lad and a quick one chasing under it, in this league it usually works.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

To be fair you do have to adapt to teams in this league in ways you don't in the Championship. All Cambridge did was lump long balls, free kicks and throwns ins into the box. Don't think they took a set piece short once did they.

Yet they scored as many goals as we did with our possession based attack mentality, allegedly.

I also can't understand how having 19 shots and scoring with 1 is any sort of improvement in the conversion rate. Pretty poor, actually.

• Like 1

The idea all 24 players need to be match ready for every game in a season blows my mind.

Most of the successful seasons we’ve had in the last 15 years have included at least 1-2 coming out from the complete cold in February/March and performing into May. Completely discredits any notion you need to constantly keep them ticking over in league games. 

Look, I’ve never been his No 1 fan. I thought he was awful last season when most of you thought he did well.

But I think you are being harsh in this thread. 

Thete were long spells v Wimbledon where we dominated, and yes it could be described as possession based attacking football. We should have been out of sight. The first half v Cambridge was simply dreadful, but in the second we had all the ball and attacked throughout, again being unlucky not to nick it.

I detect a slight reduction in the fart-around-at-the-back approach in those two games too. Very welcome! We’ve scored 7 in our last 5. Compared to the previous 8 games that’s Liverpool on acid.

He’s made tonnes of mistakes. His summer recruitment looks a bizarre experiment gone wrong. But having found more or less his best Xl in the past few games there’s faint glimmers of hope. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1