2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Wednesday  1-0  Bolton

Gregory '66                                         

Attendance:  23,692

image.png.2cfa3381adeec39537ec2c01aa335d34.png

STARTING LINE-UP

image.png.c93e51008382a91f378ca627f317490d.png

image.png.30ebfecd0d3fff006fae7473c8ba65f6.png

Well, a win is a win at the end of the day.

A vital three points in the bag. A clean sheet (though Lord alone knows how) 

I certainly can't take many more last 15 minutes' like that.  Sorry, 21. I nearly forgot about that 6 minutes of added time! 

Anyway...we limped over the line.

Who caught your eye today and how did you rate the boys?

Scores on the doors. If you have enough energy left to do it after that draining experience.

My MOTM was Wildsmith again a couple of great saves, a couple of blocks and a punch clear that sailed 30 yards or more.

Iorfa was his nearest challenger but over running a couple of forward forays spoiled his copy book a little.

The hunt Gregory goal was particularly impressive.

Darren Moore once again was the recipient of some undeserved stick. He wasn't released from the traps until the second week in July so our chances of putting out a ready made team were a very long shot. My belief is that we will turn over/discard 4 or 5 of these player and bring the same number in. If we're lucky two will fit in comfortably which will begin to give us both improved method and results as we progress from January.

In Summary by others proclamations we have faced 3 of the better teams in Wigan  (a) Oxford and Bolton at home. 6 points from that groups sounds OK to me, the team will begin to settle into the new year and as confidence lifts the goals return will improve. Promotion is a hope rather than a GI Me but we do have a chance.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The referee was poor. He was good in that he spotted the dives and penalised them. he was fussy in some things but he missed a kot of fouls by both sides some of which were obvious. The players on both sides were fuming at his inept display on many occassions. At one stage I thought Paterson was going to explode, saying that he was one of the ones who got away unpunished numerous times. 

Wildsmith 7

Palmer 7

Iorfa 8

Gibson 6

Hunt 7

Brown 6

Bannan 8

Hutch 6

Paterson 6

Berahino 6

Gregory 7

Dunkley 7

Adeniran 7

Shodipo 6

Far from the greatest performance but I thought we were solid defensively, Wildsmith didn't have much to do but did everything asked of him, Palmer and Hunt had good games. 

Bannan my MOM, he never stopped running and seemed to pop up all over pitch. 

Like all of us I would liked to have seen us attack more but am happy with the 3 points against a side full of confidence who we kept at arms length for majority of game. 

Wildsmith                  8      MOTM

Palmer                        6

Iorfa                             6

Gibson                         6

Hunt                            7     Very Cross

Brown                          6

Bannan                        6

Hutchinson                 6

Paterson                      6

Berahino                      5

Gregory                       8      Bums off  Seats

Dunkley                        5

Adeniran                      6

Shodipo                        5

Thought Gregory was brilliant today. Had very little to feed off but made an absolute nuisance of himself up front and took his goal well.

Everything else was much of a muchness really, we don’t set up in a way that gets the best out of our players and it was a hard watch… two crap teams, but fortunately we got the points. Fair play to Bolton fans for attending in numbers and supporting their team well. Wish we’d given Kieran Lee a better send off, he deserved it 

• Like 1

strange day ......we didnt play well but yet i thought it was a decent game .the players gave there all and snatched a victory  despite the  way they were set up to play..........no doubt the manager will feel the result justified his selection .....went for wildsmith coz he would have been under a lot of pressure today and he never faltered once .   

• Like 1

Amazed we are so close to the autos and playoffs.

That game was absolutely woeful. The standard of football makes my eyes bleed. Couldn’t have been more enthusiastic for the start of this season with a new set of players and a manager I thought was going to attack and be positive. Instead after 10 games I think I’m going to start finding something better to do on a Saturday than watch us. It’s just not enjoyable for me and hasn’t been for years. 

Winning a very tough fixture, keeping a clean sheet and yet still feel dejected. There is no excuse for these slow and abject performances. I like watching football but it’s terrible watching us.

I think it shows how awful we’ve been for the best part of 20 years when so many on here are giving 6’s and 7’s week in week out when practically every side we play is the better team.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

strange day ......we didnt play well but yet i thought it was a decent game .the players gave there all and snatched a victory  despite the  way they were set up to play..........no doubt the manager will feel the result justified his selection .....went for wildsmith coz he would have been under a lot of pressure today and he never faltered once .   

Agree. I think some fans are being far too harsh using words like dreadful, clueless etc. I thought it was an improved performance, great goal and determined team play. Yes, we made mistakes and rode our luck at times but that's football. We HAD to win today to keep in touch, and we did. The result is all that matters.

3 hours ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

My MOTM was Wildsmith again a couple of great saves, a couple of blocks and a punch clear that sailed 30 yards or more.

Iorfa was his nearest challenger but over running a couple of forward forays spoiled his copy book a little.

The hunt Gregory goal was particularly impressive.

Darren Moore once again was the recipient of some undeserved stick. He wasn't released from the traps until the second week in July so our chances of putting out a ready made team were a very long shot. My belief is that we will turn over/discard 4 or 5 of these player and bring the same number in. If we're lucky two will fit in comfortably which will begin to give us both improved method and results as we progress from January.

In Summary by others proclamations we have faced 3 of the better teams in Wigan  (a) Oxford and Bolton at home. 6 points from that groups sounds OK to me, the team will begin to settle into the new year and as confidence lifts the goals return will improve. Promotion is a hope rather than a GI Me but we do have a chance.   

👌

Gregory m.o m  wildsmith next  for the 2 punches in injury time. Apart from that it was woeful. The throw ins and free kicks that go backwards and sideways boil my pi$$$. We've got decent forwards so why don't we attack teams? Stop ***** about at the back. Get the ball in the box and score some goals. It's the third division not the champions league. 

13 sets of ratings in so far, the Owlstalk average scores are:

Wildsmith: 7.0

Palmer: 6.2

Iorfa: 6.5

Gibson: 5.2

Hunt: 6.7

Brown: 5.4

Hutchinson: 5.5

Bannan: 6.4

Paterson: 5.9

Berahino: 5.3

Gregory: 6.9

Shodipo: 5.3

Adeniran: 6.3

Dunkley: 5.5

I'll tally up the final scores at the end of Sunday.

• Thanks 2

Wildsmith-7 no errors and a clean sheet heck of an improvement, yes he missed a couple of punches near the end

Hunt -6 worked hard for once, his engines gone but an assist, not the best RB in this division by long distance

Palmer -6 steady as ever

Hutchinson -6 didnt really get into his stride, struggled to affect the game

Iorfa -6 weve had some blinding CBs over the years, dom wont be remembered as one of them

Gibson -4 not a great start, got better as the game went on which wasnt hard

Berahino -5 a couple of half chances, hit the outside of a post, his touch and awareness are just awfull 

Bannan -7  the standard BB performance, lots of industry and pointing

Gregory -8 tested the keeper with a decent header and scored the vital goal

Paterson -7 thought he grafted, control and ability let him down, effort didnt

Brown -5 offered little, poor passing, control, movement looked like he was getting over a heavy night

• Haha 2

Poor game that they probably edged to be fair. Happy to come out with 3 points.

Wildsmith 7 did well. Much better than last season so far. Does he keep his place?

Hunt 6 poor performance but an extra point for the outstanding cross for the goal

Palmer 7 did well in two different positions. Important player in the squad 

Iorfa 7 lucky to stay on the field but one outstanding last ditch tackle

Gibson 4 very poor. Looked backwards rather than forwards and lots of miss kicks. Dilly dallying almost cost a goal, but thank god Kachunga is poo!

Brown 6 ok but not his best performance. Good tackle near the end 

Bannan 7 decent. Lee got the better of him in the first half but I felt Bannan had his number in the second 

Hutchinson 5 I thought he was poor. No point in him in midfield if we have a back three

Paterson 7 put himself about 

Berahino 4 I’m not impressed. He was awful at Mansfield too. So lazy that Paterson had to move to the wing in the last 15 minutes to help us defend 

Gregory 8 very good performance and an excellent finish 

Dunkley 7 solid but no pace is a huge issue

Adeniran 7 gave us energy in the midfield

Shodipo 5 poor. Been very disappointed with him in the last 4 games. 

Moore 5 I honestly am really worried about him. The starting line up made no sense. Why no Corbeanu after his excellent performance on Tuesday? Why switch formation? We played Bolton Wanderers at home not Real bleeding Madrid!! If we play 3 cb’s it has to be Hutch in the centre. Then to play him in front in midfield was ludicrous as he was basically on the centre backs toes! Changed it through necessity and we were slightly better. I honestly think he just pulls the starting names out of a hat!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nut said:

Gregory m.o m  wildsmith next  for the 2 punches in injury time. Apart from that it was woeful. The throw ins and free kicks that go backwards and sideways boil my pi$$$. We've got decent forwards so why don't we attack teams? Stop ***** about at the back. Get the ball in the box and score some goals. It's the third division not the champions league. 

You do realise we scored from a free kick that went long don’t you? 

We sent lots of balls long yesterday. Paterson and Gregory did a decent job of challenging for them in the air. Gregory in particular showed good strength to hold off much bigger centre halves on a couple of occasions. That said we can’t and shouldn’t do it every time. Sometimes passing it short to allow us to build an attack is the best option, on those occasions feel free to go and boil your pi$$$.