• Bannan
    • Gregory
    • Paterson
    • Brown
    • Dunkley
    • Adeniran
    • Shodipo

On 10/10/2021 at 10:49, frastheowl said:

Wildsmith - 7 - Brilliant stop at 0-0 from point blank range, and did well to relieve pressure late on. A very composed, measured performance given his lack of games.

Hunt - 7 - Probably the only bit of quality showed by anybody in a blue and white shirt over the 90 minutes, resulted in a crucial, match-winning assist. Did alright defensively, but struggled to get forward in the 1st half to utilise the advantage of playing with wing backs.

Palmer - 6 - Bang average...as usual. I cannot understand why Moore is shoe-horning him into a side, despite a very poor start to the season?!

Iorfa - 7 - Took responsibility at the heart of the defence, to ensure we got a clean sheet. Made some crucial headers and blocks. 

Gibson - 5 - Struggled from the off. Looked uncomfortable on the ball, and weak in the challenge. Disappointing 1st showing.

Brown - 5 - Offered very little at wing back, and even less when moved to left wing. 

Hutchinson - 6 - Struggled to contain Bolton's midfield (mainly Lee), and wasted possession too often with some hopelessly ambitious balls.

Bannan - 6 - Like Hutchinson 1st half, struggled to impact the game, and never seemed to get on top of things in the midfield. He works tirelessly, and attempts to drive things for us...but its not producing any meaningful outputs at the minute.

Paterson - 7 - He's a handful, he'll ask questions of defenders and he'll run himself into the ground. We need these qualities...but we also need more quality around him. He's shows glimpses of quality, but we need Paterson and Gregory in the box, with others creating for them.

Berahino - 5 - Looked off the pace and weak. If he thought League One was going to be a cakewalk, he's got to wake up.

Gregory - 7 - Man of the Match - He edges it because of the match-winning goal. He's a battering ram that, like Paterson, will run all day. His ability in the penalty box won us the game today. Had he been in a Bolton shirt, they'd have won the game comfortably. But he really is feeding off scraps.

Adeniran - 6 - Struggled to get into the game.

Dunkley - 5 - I feel for him. He's bereft of confidence, and the fans are on his back. But, he's not, and never will be, a defender who'll be comfortable playing out from the back...and yet were forcing him to do so. Stick him in the middle of a three, and ask him to head it, kick it and put his body on the line, and he'll be fine.

Overall...

Worrying...very, very worrying.

Yes, a win's a win. And that type of win would be fine, if we had seen some semblance of a performance in the previous 10 games. But we haven't. We are seemingly getting worse, more disjointed as a unit and more desperate in the search for a solution.

Moore promised front foot, attacking football...what were getting is, a team incapable of building attacking patterns of play, reacting to opponents rather than asking questions ourselves.

Bolton are a good side, that have settled into a way of playing...I don't expect us to be at that level. But we should be showing a trend of improvement. But we're going the other way. 

Moore is beginning to concern me. The team selection was baffling. Not so much the system, but the personnel. WHy play Palmer who's been poor, in a position that Hutchinson could play infinite better?! Why play Hutchinson in a position he physically is unable to, and leave Adeniran on the bench? And when he said "I don't worry about performances" that is a red flag. He bloody well should be worried about performances. He should be very concerned.

I agree with that, other than palmer being poor. He's been one of our better players and played well in this game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Daizan10 said:

I agree with that, other than palmer being poor. He's been one of our better players and played well in this game. 

Exactly. Palmer gets some much unnecessary stick on here. When he is actually one of our best defenders. The amount of times he covers across the back line is as good as Iorfa. And it's why I like him and left back because he does it better from there as he is coming onto his favoured foot.

Moore always picks him to play so he knows how valuable he is to us defensively. especially on the left hand side and hopefully now he can see that you can't play a winger there. Its no coincidence that we do well when he plays there.

• Like 1