What's the best long range goal we've ever scored?

Guest Jack the Hat
11 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Before my time, but this one was a bit special too....

My tenth birthday present from TC. I was on the kop. - The tiny one they have at Bramall lane.

Not televised I don't think, but there was a goal by Gerry Young at home  V Birmingham City in the F A Cup which was from 35+ yards out.  we were losing 2-1 at the time and he looked up and blasted it into the top corner leaving Jim Heriot, their Scottish International goalkeeper grasping at air.  I think it was the 4th Round in January 1969 as it was before we changed back to stripes.

Sadly we lost the replay at St Andrews..

I think in terms of quality you have to say FF at Norwich. 

You see a lot of longe range goals which are sometimes fortunate in one way, the ball might sit up for you perfectly etc.

But FF’s was purely orchestrated by himself. He was on the turn, almost hit the ball when it was by his side, generated all the power 

A truly ridiculous goal 

14 hours ago, Busmansholiday said:

Spider cutting inside and scoring the first in the Boxing Day Massacre in front of the kop. Made my Christmas after those dark years of following Wednesday in the early / mid 70's.

Not only was it a great goal it was a truly iconic moment in our history.  It signalled the end of the 70s, Christmas, record crowd, v United and I took my new wife. 

4 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

Best I've ever seen live

Hard to beat that Siggi Jonsson goal hit as hard as any of Hirst's specials and we were right behind it in that left hand corner of the ground.

Hirst at home v Man Utd (didn't Bryan Robson describe it as one of the best goals he had ever see on Question of Sport)?

Hirst v Newcastle away.

Hirst v Villa (tho i missed this game so didn't see it live)

And Harkes at Derby would be my top five.

The Brunt one against Leeds is brilliant tbf. 

Thing is he one hundred percent meant to do that. This was not some sort of hit and hope effort, or a bloke tw@tting it from 30 yards and it flying in the top corner.