Just how good are the players?

So, like the title says, how good are the players we have? Some of it is speculative, as players who missed most of a season could turn out to be back their best, or might spend the next couple of years limping around on one leg till their contract runs out

Premier league quality

No one. We don't have a single player that could make it even in a team that was struggling against relegation

Top half Championship

A few of these I think. Bannan, Luongo, Iorfa, Dunkley, Windass

Bottom half championship

Palmer, Patterson, Hutchinson, Hunt

Top half League one

Who knows. Hopefully some of the youth will show themselves to be at this level.

I didn't even care to speculate on the people who have come in except Hunt. Or Green

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, ashamanic said:

So, like the title says, how good are the players we have? Some of it is speculative, as players who missed most of a season could turn out to be back their best, or might spend the next couple of years limping around on one leg till their contract runs out

Premier league quality

No one. We don't have a single player that could make it even in a team that was struggling against relegation

Top half Championship

Bottom half championship

Top half League one

Who knows. Hopefully some of the youth will show themselves to be at this level.

I didn't even care to speculate on the people who have come in except Hunt. Or Green

Wouldn’t say dunkley was top half champ, rest just about agree with 

• Like 1

Remember last season when we had threads like this?

I remain to be convinced that a great deal has changed.

We got rid of a fair few, but unless we build a squad that's greater than the sum of its parts rather than a random collection of individuals, we'll continue to see our players underperforming.

Hopefully Moore and the rest of the recruitment team are doing just that.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ashamanic said:

Premier league quality

Top half Championship

Bottom half championship

Top half League one

Considering you think 9/11 players are Championship standard, we should have very little problem finishing in the top 8 I would have thought.......

• Like 1

So many factors to take into account though. You could have a talented squad but if it’s unbalanced and morale is low, it will struggle.

Ability alone doesn’t get you promoted. Have the players put their grievances about wages behind? Will the wage issues occur again? Do the so called Championship level players actually want to play for the club? Do we have the strength in depth to survive a season of potentially up to 60 games?

Huge question marks on the above still.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ashamanic said:

Premier league quality

Top half Championship

Bottom half championship

Top half League one

Copied your format as i couldnt be bothered to type it myself.Changed a few about though. 

Premier league quality

None, Nada, Zero, Zilch.

Top half Championship

Iorfa - if fully fit. Bannan. Windass - at a push in the right set up.

Bottom half championship

Patterson, Hutchinson - Only as a CB, Hunt - hopefully, Luongo - only of fully fit and actually able to play every week.

Top half League one

Palmer - not awful but also not very good either. Dunkley - too limited for championship, but will be useful in this division.

not seen owt of Luongo to say hes top end champ material, but he is useful when hes fit. Peterson, i really dont know where to put him so left him in champ based on the fact he played in Prem for a season too. Palmer really isnt champ quality at any level as a full back (in my eyes). Useful squad player, but really hes kinda naff going forward, kinda naff with assists and pretty naff positionally as a defender. His best ever season as a player came at this level as a Central Midfielder and hunt kept him out of the team most weekes wheile they were both here. 

Since they largely represent the dregs of a side that got relegated from the Championship without even putting up a fight, I would say that most of them are 'League 1 standard at best'.

Bannan and maybe Iorfa on their day would still cut it in the Championship as part of a much more capable squad than ours.  But that's it.

• Like 1

It doesn’t matter what we think we’ve got. We are still lacking in a number of areas and this season won’t be easy unless we address the 3 main problems in our set up. 

A goal scorer.

A central midfielder that can get 10 goals.

A goal keeper.

For me that is 3 players from the spine of a team, so are very lacking.

• Like 3

A couple of injuries and we're screwed. There's nothing to suggest we will get lucky in this department. It just doesn't happen to us. Still not enough numbers. Criminal we're this close with no keeper of recognition. 

I think most of the senior players should be able to cut it at this level. Dunkley was an absolute beast for Wigan the last time he played in League 1. I think the likes of Palmer and Hutchinson will do well. I tipped us to finish 16th but I was going on the fact the first season at this level always seems to be a struggle but Moore is a better manager than Turner and Irvine and knows the level which they did not. Perhaps that will be key to a better season than many expect?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheff74 said:

I'd only rate Bannan and Iorfa as top half championship.  Windass, Iorfa and Luongo are more bottom half standard for me.

Otherwise, I think you have it about right.

So is Iorfa mid-table level then :duntmatter:

2 hours ago, ashamanic said:

Premier league quality

Top half Championship

Bottom half championship

Top half League one

Were a bit of an unknown. If some of the fringe players come good, we will do alright. If tgey fail miserably and underperform, it will be difficult.

Hiwever, how many league 1 teams have several top half championship type players in their squads?

I also think DM is looking at assessing and bringing in more players. If we are top 8 by november i think we will really push on next year

2 hours ago, ashamanic said:

Premier league quality

Top half Championship

Bottom half championship

Top half League one

I don’t think Dunkley is top half league one. Paterson and Palmer are way too high too. Hunt ??

2 hours ago, OwlinOldham said:

Copied your format as i couldnt be bothered to type it myself.Changed a few about though. 

Premier league quality

None, Nada, Zero, Zilch.

Top half Championship

Iorfa - if fully fit. Bannan. Windass - at a push in the right set up.

Bottom half championship

Patterson, Hutchinson - Only as a CB, Hunt - hopefully, Luongo - only of fully fit and actually able to play every week.

Top half League one

Palmer - not awful but also not very good either. Dunkley - too limited for championship, but will be useful in this division.

not seen owt of Luongo to say hes top end champ material, but he is useful when hes fit. Peterson, i really dont know where to put him so left him in champ based on the fact he played in Prem for a season too. Palmer really isnt champ quality at any level as a full back (in my eyes). Useful squad player, but really hes kinda naff going forward, kinda naff with assists and pretty naff positionally as a defender. His best ever season as a player came at this level as a Central Midfielder and hunt kept him out of the team most weekes wheile they were both here. 

Seems fair. Players listed have not performed over L1 level for a while. Bannan one way of playing which easy for opponents and Windass improving but lacks ball control and is not really a striker.