Dejphon Chansiri indicates major change in financial direction for Sheffield Wednesday

Guest Grandad

6 minutes ago, talon said:

Actually sounds rather sensible to me, although it’s a pointless exercise trying to explain the irrational expectations of fans. 
Personally, I’d rather a long term project which involves spending  far less on players wages and agents fees, and considerably more on facilities and infrastructure, particularly at youth and U23 level, training ground and data analytics etc.

Who has faith he'll suddenly be able to run the club properly. Track record at key moments is pretty tragic in all areas of decision making. I don't trust him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have no problem with the club be self sustainable, in the long term it will probably be a good thing for the club.

But to have this strategy and be successful you need to have an owner / Chairman who knows what he is doing.

Chansiri is not that man.

It's like when Nile Ranger said he was a 'changed man'. Yeah ok then. No one believed him. 

• Like 2

I don't mind being sustainable, not one bit, but it's almost impossible to achieve building from such a low base of having no assets of value, such is the extent to which Chansiri has run down the football side of things. 

With any business venture, there needs to be an element of speculation and investment. What's gone before has been wasted, it's like starting a new.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Struggling to understand what the point of Chansiri being at Wednesday anymore.

I simply don't get why he's still here. He's taken us down a division and only now he's talking about sustainability.

What does he get from this?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spondon Owl said:

Can't say that on here. It's a positive thing for my club that we'll be less of a basket case in terms of beyond our means spending.

Whats the alternative? Oblivion. 

Madness. He's obviously made massive damaging decisions and said some things in the past which are not particularly for his best interests when it comes to the fans. But honestly I think at this moment in time he could give every moaning fan 1m in their banks and they would still ***** about how many days it took to get there. 

I'm not his biggest fan but jeezzzzzz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Club will struggle to ever be sustainable in L1 long-term so now is the time to push at least to the level needed to get our Championship status back. Fans at least get the prospect of promotion each season to the big time. 

1 minute ago, Manwë said:

Struggling to understand what the point of Chansiri being at Wednesday anymore.

I simply don't get why he's still here. He's taken us down a division and only now he's talking about sustainability.

What does he get from this?

Hes £180m into his venture and the club is worth much less than the £37m he bought us for. Therefore, he won’t sell

as he would stand to lose in excess of £150m.

I think we are stuck with him. 

• Like 3

It’s a way of saying he doesn’t have the money to put in anymore so he needs the club to generate its own and sustain itself.

Weve gone from blowing the lot to having nothing.

Being more prudent or having a strategy is vastly different from self sustainability 

He and we are done

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Hes £180m into his venture and the club is worth much less than the £37m he bought us for. Therefore, he won’t sell

as he would stand to lose in excess of £150m.

I think we are stuck with him. 

Completely stuck with him. Too stubborn to let go. 

I always laugh when people on here say he’s selling up. Have they not seen the way Chansiri has operated since he joined? He can’t let go. He won’t let go. It’s not in his nature. He’s been on record as saying he wants to pass the club on to his son. 

Our only hope is we stumble on a Wilder like the Pigs did. An excellent manager who can guide us through the leagues on a shoestring despite all the testicles from above. 

• Like 6

I remember at a fans forum Chansiri clearly saying if we wanted “Milan time” ticket prices he would go back to “Milan time” spending.

Well as Milan was operating at a loss, I fully expect our illustrious leader to make tickets cheaper than when Milan was here as he won’t be matching the level of spending Milan did.

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

Completely stuck with him. Too stubborn to let go. 

I always laugh when people on here say he’s selling up. Have they not seen the way Chansiri has operated since he joined? He can’t let go. He won’t let go. It’s not in his nature. He’s been on record as saying he wants to pass the club on to his son. 

Our only hope is we stumble on a Wilder like the Pigs did. An excellent manager who can guide us through the leagues on a shoestring despite all the testicles from above. 

Agreed,  those words about handing over the club to his son,  and also constantly answering “why should I sell?” during a time it’s obvious he didn’t know what he was doing, suggest he’s not going anywhere for a long time.  

The only hope now is we do unearth some gems in loans, free transfers, young players, that take us up the leagues in the next 3-4 years and then we would be a saleable club again.  

• Like 1

Can’t say I particularly disagree with anything said in the article.

You can have one good crack and if it doesn’t work then you need to immediately cut costs due to FFP

And of course people will complain about a lack of spending and ambition - I think one of the first replies to this very thread was ‘he’s locked his wallet in a safe then’ 

• Like 5

I’d welcome the idea of the club being self-sustainable if this didn’t smack of Chansiri getting fed up and throwing his toys out of the pram.

The first step towards getting the club to a point where it can sustain itself would be appointing a proper hierarchy of staff - a Director of Football to build a proper structure, bring in experienced help for the Chief Finance Director etc.

Will he do that? I’d be very surprised.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1