Dejphon Chansiri indicates major change in financial direction for Sheffield Wednesday

Guest Grandad

In 2018 we were one of 5 clubs in the Championship to not make a loss 

And that’s because we fudged the figures to sell our ground. 

Meaning 20/24 ordinarily would have made a loss. Some huge. 

One of the remaining 4 was Burton who got relegated.

Unless you’re run by extremely savvy owners with that strategy, we don’t stand a chance.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

The majority of clubs who get promoted to the PL don’t have an “issue” with FFP. There are plenty of clubs who’ve never received a parachute payment who still managed to get promoted without an “issue” with FFP.

I’ve never been concerned about a lack of ambition, it’s lack of competence at the top that has held us back.

All these points are bang on the mark

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I’d welcome the idea of the club being self-sustainable if this didn’t smack of Chansiri getting fed up and throwing his toys out of the pram.

The first step towards getting the club to a point where it can sustain itself would be appointing a proper hierarchy of staff - a Director of Football to build a proper structure, bring in experienced help for the Chief Finance Director etc.

Will he do that? I’d be very surprised.

Yep. 

If he wants to be sustainable he’d have a CEO by now. 

• Like 3

If the owner doesn't know much about football and hasn't got enough money/can't spend his money to 'buy' promotion then we need a traditional English type manager who can wheel and deal his way to build a team.

Find the right man(we might have already), tell him the facts of life then trust him to sell players to buy others.

It will take time, it will need the owner to take a back seat, it will take patience from the fans.

It's the 'owner taking a backseat' that might be the big problem.

If he means truly self-sustainable, ie. self-financing without any input from a chairman, then we're not going to achieve that.   How many clubs do?

The ST money will pay for the rent on the ground and that's about it.   What about player wages, staff wages, buying players, etc.

We'd need to abandon Hillsborough and go down a few leagues before the fans would pay for all the clubs running costs.

• Like 1

I read that as good news.

It's at a point now though. Whatever DC does will be greated with some negativity. You live by the sword you die by the sword. I get it. 

But we can only be present to now, and move forward from where we are.

Give me a self sustainable club to be proud of. With a connection to the city, some identity, and a bit of heart anyday. 

I'd take that in League One and the Championship.

Success is a place to come from, not a place to get to.

Cultivate a success culture and see where it takes you. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

He's right though, you often get

• A team having a random season and come out of nowhere pushing for promotion.
  • A team relegated from the prem throwing their parachute payments around
  • A team spending above their means going for it
  • A team with a 10 year plan of buying a selling and slowly building up

Fans were happing for him to throw the cash around at the time and it failed for various reason.

I don't think the fans are patient enough to allow anyone to have a 10 year+ plan to get everything in place, that's the reality

Of course they are - Jesus Christ how long out of the Prem now? Patience is one thing we do have

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Are we meant to be grateful for Chansiri ? 

And that we might one day be in a somewhat decent position. 

After being a complete car crash, alienating fans, and ending up in the league below and selling our ground. 

Well, hooray ! 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Rogers said:

We didn’t need a journo to unearth the fact that investment has stopped, it stopped 2-3 years ago. 

So the millions of pounds he’s still putting in don’t count then? Up to end of last season he was still propping the club up

• Like 2

Let’s hope lessons have now been learned (at great expense to the clubs standing) and the cupboard is clear of anymore skeletons that could pop out.

Things will never be the same for a while but we are in a new league with a ‘new’ team (in a new kit) A manager that has hung on to his position after relegation and appears to have been given a free rain to make team decisions.

If he can mould a team to get promotion (it may take two seasons) and the club are fair and honest  with the supporters, then the fans will always get behind him and we can move on to better days

image.jpeg.af5b3db93af4a158139f105fc97c6e0f.jpeg

WAWAW

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think there’s been a concerted effort for 2/3 seasons to be more sustainable and reduce the wage structure. Obviously these things take time to bed in though and you pay the price of past mistakes until those contracts go. 

us dropping down to L1 expedites that process as we are forced to a degree to reduce costs as revenues plummet.

I’m sure I’m not the only one that prefers the idea of developing players, finding players that are undervalued and giving them a platform to showcase their real worth.

I mean we were quite good at that before we got ideas above our station. Players like Westwood, Lees, Lee, Hutch, Bannan all arrived for next to nothing. The trouble is we chose to re-contract them to hugely inflated salaries rather than selling on and finding the next Bannan or the next Lee. 

• Like 2