Dejphon Chansiri indicates major change in financial direction for Sheffield Wednesday

Guest Grandad

I think DC is spot on with what he has said, and I don't have a problem with it.

We all want to be in the PL sooner rather than later.

We all want big sums spent on players (EFL say no).

We all want the best players at the club (EFL hinder, see above).

To get to the PL most teams that didn't have parachute payments, have over spent and it has been overlooked. Teams that fail (us and Derby) then get reviewed.

Whilst making some very bad mistakes at the club in his time, I don't see how this statement really shows him in bad light, he's just been honest - which will probably get him an EFL fine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, Grandad said:

I read the clubs notes from the meeting on the owls website yesterday and all it says is back in May when the meeting was held that he wants the club to be self sufficient, that wont of course happen because DC will not allow the club to get people in who know what thry need to do to run a football club.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Not aiming it at you but I see it said a lot that we need a CEO or DOF but clearly Chansiri can't work with senior figures as has proven in the past. So for me he needs to change his personality and accept a structure throughout the club. I reckon we could bring some of the best staff in senior positions but it would be pointless because they'd never work with the dictator. 

Agree. However if he wants the club to be "self sufficient" he needs to leave the running of it to someone else. Blackburn owners did it, however like yourself, cant see it happening.

3 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

I don't understand him at all. 

Basically he's having a go at EFL and fans. He states if we want to get to the Prem that he HAS to break the rules. Which is BS. He also states that if we are run sustainably we won't be able to get promoted which is BS. How can you be so unsustainable and call it 'risk'. It's actually severe mismanagement thats setting us back years. But yes he's learning now. 

Oh and apparently the cashflow of the club matters now even though as customers our money didn't used to mean anything. 

But this is the same bloke that failed to pay his players for 4 months but wants to break the FFP rules where the money coming from. Last i looked monopoly money was not legal tender in the real world.

You see i love this about DC the money wasted last season on Brown, Flint, Marriott, JVA, Dunkley, Green. All to sit in the stands and barely play a game about £3-4m in wages alone.

That is the equivalent of 6,000 to 8,000 season tickets priced at £500 so about 1/3 of the average crowds wasted on players who played next to nothing between them. This is not the fans fault or the EFL this is the fools at the club signing unfit players, signing players who have not played for months and in JVA not releasing him on a free last season when he should have gone.

But you see the fans and EFL dont have a voice, and has become an easy excuse, no business man will admit he is the problem and massively incompetent.

I wonder if the timing of this realise had anything to do with delaying until season tickets were bought as why should a meeting from May not be released until the end of July.

• Like 3

Reading the article frightens me a bit. It doesn't sound like DC gets it at all.

Chansiri said he could not guarantee Wednesday wouldn’t face issues with Financial Fair Play in the future, indicating he felt it was ‘impossible’ for a club to push for promotion to the Premier League without breaching FFP rules.

“If you’re not going to push [for promotion], you’re not going to get an issue. If you push, you’re going to get an issue.

“If we don’t push, the fans are going to moan, ‘Oh you don’t have any ambition’. If we push of course we need to take risks.

“What do the fans want me to do, they want me to push but then they say, ‘Oh you can’t break FFP’. It is impossible. It’s just £13m [the FFP-permitted loss per year in the Championship], it’s impossible.

“Even when we don’t spend money in the past, we still lose a lot of money. If you spend even a little bit you can still break it.

“It is not easy because of FFP, if we keep [with]in FFP the fans are going to say ‘no ambition’.”

So we could get into trrouble in future.....don't do it. It is possible to improve year on year without breaking the bank but it takes a proper business head and deep knowledge of football. Buy young talent nurture them, give them decent contracts for 3 years and sell at the right time for the right money. Don't give them one year contracts, freeze them out and lose them for a few tens of thousands of pounds. The mentality is wrong on recent evidence. Let's see evidence of a change on that front.

DC still doesn't understand the word 'ambition'. It isn't ambitious to get relegated, it isn't ambitious to splurge money on over the hill players, it isn't ambitious to listen to the latest snake oil salesman selling the next get promoted quick scheme. Ambition is improving year on year and being able to sustain those improvements because they are built on solid foundations.

Any suggestion DC has learned anything seem premature.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Brommers said:

Probably something to do with not being able to leave until somebody buys the club off him I suspect. 

Or possibly putting off buyers with nonsense demands, I suspect.

• Like 1

It's pretty reprehensible that this imbecile has overseen the decline of the club in just about every department imaginable and still refuses to take accountability for ANY of it. Although he may not be the worst human being we've had in the role (I'm not going to mention the one I'm thinking of here because most will know who I mean and he is rather a litigious individual) he's surely number one in terms of poorest outcomes, value for money and in terms of the club's overall standing?

The pandemic has acted as a partial smokescreen to the financial issues that we've been having for the last four years or so. Reasons for this are debatable, but all the signs to me are that Chansiri has all but emptied his reservoir but is exhibiting the kind of transparency and integrity on the issue that we are all too accustomed to from him. Any lessons he may have 'learned' are probably more out of absolute necessity rather than any emerging wisdom. At least one poster habitually refers to him as a foolish, narcissistic, stubborn man baby and it's really difficult to argue with that description.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, owlinexile said:

That would be nice.

But incompetent micromanaging arrogant fools don't magically stop being incompetent micromanaging arrogant fools just because they run out of money.

Chansiri isn't equipped to run that kind of football club any more than he is equipped to spend a bunch of money on going for promotion.

Oh well. That’s what I like about being on here. The Jury’s gone out and come back and returned it’s verdict and like any public execution, there’s no coming back from that meanwhile I’ll continue to grasp at the two remaining straws I have in my packet 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Jim said:

Oh well. That’s what I like about being on here. The Jury’s gone out and come back and returned it’s verdict and like any public execution, there’s no coming back from that meanwhile I’ll continue to grasp at the two remaining straws I have in my packet 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

You executed Garry Monk singlehandedly to be fair Jim

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

Pedantic point.

It's a C change, not a sea change as per article.

C because it's like a car track turning round and heading back to starting point (as we were under Mandaric).

You would think, but it's actually sea change.

As old Billy Shakespeare put it:

Full fathom five thy father lies;

Of his bones are coral made;

Those are pearls that were his eyes:

Nothing of him that doth fade

But doth suffer a sea-change

Into something rich and strange.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Andrew6666 said:

I think DC is spot on with what he has said, and I don't have a problem with it.

We all want to be in the PL sooner rather than later.

We all want big sums spent on players (EFL say no).

We all want the best players at the club (EFL hinder, see above).

To get to the PL most teams that didn't have parachute payments, have over spent and it has been overlooked. Teams that fail (us and Derby) then get reviewed.

Whilst making some very bad mistakes at the club in his time, I don't see how this statement really shows him in bad light, he's just been honest - which will probably get him an EFL fine.

Not really.

I don't really give a throw about the Premiership. Never have.

I just want a club to support.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pat blondeau said:

And still has a dig at the fans about it 

The man is a turd. Pure and simple.

Can’t wait for the fans to show him our “appreciation” for decimating the club, dragging it’s name through the mud, and taking us down to the pub league. 

W___er. 

Edited by Steelman
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

You would think, but it's actually sea change.

As old Billy Shakespeare put it:

Full fathom five thy father lies;

Of his bones are coral made;

Those are pearls that were his eyes:

Nothing of him that doth fade

But doth suffer a sea-change

Into something rich and strange.

True but Shakespeare wrote it based on motor racing.

• Haha 2

Love how he always gets a dig in at the fans. This time saying we’ll be moaning about a lack of ambition 

When is he going to realise that he needs to spend money wisely to keep the club self sustainable. He could spend £100m a season but if every penny of that £100m is pissed up the wall then it’s going to lead to disaster 

Ultimately it’s him who makes the calls and he’s only got himself to blame when he’s making batsh*t crazy decisions, like Insisting that players like Rhodes, Jones, Abdi etc see out their huge contracts when they could have been shipped out previous. Or hiring Tony Pulis and sacking him weeks later with a big pay off

The man is a clown