Dejphon Chansiri indicates major change in financial direction for Sheffield Wednesday

Guest Grandad

There’s no point in analysing his intentions or decisions ….past , present or future…. he’s a man that knows absolutely nothing about football. He doesn’t understand the passion of the fans or the all consuming importance that Sheffield Wednesday plays in our lives .

If you sat down with him and started talking about football at Hillsborough from the late ‘60’s to current day he would look at you with the blankest expression imaginable.

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

I think there’s been a concerted effort for 2/3 seasons to be more sustainable and reduce the wage structure. Obviously these things take time to bed in though and you pay the price of past mistakes until those contracts go. 

us dropping down to L1 expedites that process as we are forced to a degree to reduce costs as revenues plummet.

I’m sure I’m not the only one that prefers the idea of developing players, finding players that are undervalued and giving them a platform to showcase their real worth.

I mean we were quite good at that before we got ideas above our station. Players like Westwood, Lees, Lee, Hutch, Bannan all arrived for next to nothing. The trouble is we chose to re-contract them to hugely inflated salaries rather than selling on and finding the next Bannan or the next Lee. 

Any indication we’re doing this? Two of our best young prospects have just joined Celtic on a free. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Club will struggle to ever be sustainable in L1 long-term so now is the time to push at least to the level needed to get our Championship status back. Fans at least get the prospect of promotion each season to the big time. 

Totally agree with your post. We do need to be back in the Championship with all haste.That is where the money is.

Our club, stadium, infrastructure and other static costs make it unsustainable in League 1.

Problem is we are, sort of, agreeing with Chansiri on this regarding taking risks. To have a chance of promotion we would need to hold onto our best players, buy others and keep a large coaching setup. Even just signing frees and loans would need exceeding sustainable levels on wages etc.to get the right players.

He's messed everything up, gambled and lost! He's stubborn, childish, diluded and up poo creak without a paddle....and, it surely can't get much worse, can it?

BUT, to his credit (and pains me to spread any positivity on him), he seems to be slowly learning. Still not listening, as everything could have been avoided if he'd listened, but he's making inroads:

-Season ticket reductions

-Proper kit supplier

-Letting somebody in the know take over transfers, and not looking to line pockets

Another points deduction would be utterly unnacceptable, the stadium sale, not paying players, neglect in not renewing contracts are unforgiveable, but if we start to move toward a new model of learning, keep on going as we are, signing promising young athletes and loans as opposed to overpaid mercenaries, then it only takes for one of those free signings to make it and earn us a sizeable transfer fee, then that could be the realisation that even under Chancer we 'could one day get to where we want to be....unlikely, but the new direction is better than the way we were heading.

I think the only way Chansiri would ever consider selling us sadly is if we get to the Premiership, so we just need to hope he continues learning and we can all get what we want one day.

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

The majority of clubs who get promoted to the PL don’t have an “issue” with FFP. There are plenty of clubs who’ve never received a parachute payment who still managed to get promoted without an “issue” with FFP.

I’ve never been concerned about a lack of ambition, it’s lack of competence at the top that has held us back.

If this is true then why are the majority of promoted teams either doped on parachute payments or have a wealthy benefactor bankrolling them. It’s been done before but think only Sheff Utd and Huddersfield break the mold in the last 10 years.

He’s largely right when he says you’re unlikely to get promoted without spending. The only reason for this change in strategy is that he’s skint and doesn’t want to sell up, so he’s going for the self sustaining model to hold on. Will probably just see us be a mediocre league 1-championship yo-yo club from now on 

A change to Fan Lead Governance is our best hope of a better future. No point in looking back to the Halcyon days of Mr Tom, Chupa Chups and the one day eventer that was ASDA.

We were on our knees along with Manchester City at the time and pondering whether we were as good a bet as Manchester City when Etihad stepped into the arena; And we would have been but for the fact we didn't have a major Airport.

Chansiri threw everything at it and we were so close. But close is never good enough for us. 

Our bitterness is understandable but it can't be anything other than a fetter on our club. We have to ride the waves as they come along. The three year plan has morphed into a 5 year plan and maybe from where we stand even a 10 year plan. But I do believe a change in football Governance is on the horizon where a level playing field could develop and this could be our and Chansiri's salvation.  

13 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Any indication we’re doing this? Two of our best young prospects have just joined Celtic on a free. 

They left for a combined fee of circa 500,000 so that’s not free is it. It was sad to lose them and they potentially could be worth more in the future but at the moment many would take that sort of amount for some of our better, more proven players. So whilst it’s not ideal it isn’t the end of the world. 

Indications it’s happening?

We told some of the players leaving that they could stay if they signed up to new, more realistic salaries in our new budget. 

We haven’t spent a significant fee on a player in 2/3 years. 

We have signed better players, for lesser fees that demand lesser salaries. Iorfa, costs less and earns less than JvA. Iorfa costs less and earns less than Abdi. Earns less than Jones, Hutch (previous contract) etc. Windass on lesser wages than Fletch/Fessi. 

So I think lots of indications that we have been trying to be more sustainable. That we have been trying to lower the average salary, that we have been trying to sign players that need to prove a point or lost their way a bit.

It’s not ideal or perfect. But I suspect it’s really hard to do under the conditions we found ourselves in after totally f0cking it up the 2/3 years previous.

• Haha 2

Sustainability and ambition is a tricky combination to pull off.

We're here because of bad decision making and poor investments in players, so it's highly unlikely he'll succeed.

I don't think FFP exists in the subterranean leagues, so why not splash some cash now and at least get us back into the championship where there's decent money.

Maybe the pot's empty?

Maybe he'll go now?

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

They left for a combined fee of circa 500,000 so that’s not free is it. It was sad to lose them and they potentially could be worth more in the future but at the moment many would take that sort of amount for some of our better, more proven players. So whilst it’s not ideal it isn’t the end of the world. 

We told some of the players leaving that they could stay if they signed up to new, more realistic salaries in our new budget. 

We have signed better players, for lesser fees that demand lesser salaries. Iorfa, costs less and earns less than JvA. Iorfa costs less and earns less than Abdi. Earns less than Jones, Hutch (previous contract) etc. Windass on lesser wages than Fletch/Fessi. 

So I think lots of indications that we have been trying to be more sustainable. That we have been trying to lower the average salary, that we have been trying to sign players that need to prove a point or lost their way a bit.

It’s not ideal or perfect. But I suspect it’s really hard to do under the conditions we found ourselves in after totally f0cking it up the 2/3 years previous.

There’s only really Iorfa who we’ve signed in the last 3 years who would get in the 2015-17 side. Even Windass who has done well isn’t as good as FF, Fletcher or Hooper when they were fit and interested. The rest of our signings are poor so it’s a case of getting what you pay for

It's like his mis-management over the last 5 years has taken him by surprise. We are where we are solely because of him and his decisions. He can't now blame everyone else and ignore other clubs' approaches.

Only Derby and Reading seemed to have a similar rubbish track record recently, and no surprise all these clubs sold their grounds to keep the unsustainable levels of expenditure. But we got relegated, and they didn't so they live to fight another, whilst DC scratches his head looking at the fixture list for this season.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Trying to be more sustainable or simply running out of money?

Selling Urhoghide and Shaw for a rumoured 500k is NOT good business. Our manager has come out and said this in a round about way. Trusson our ex assistant has said it’s shocking business. Let’s not try and dress it up as some good business, because it simply isn’t. 

Better players for far lesser fees? Since we stopped spending we’ve been relegated to League One. I’m fine with spending lesser fees on players, but your recruitment has to be spot on. It’s been poor as is reflected by our relegation.  You only use Iorfa as an example. That’s one signing. And he’s been out injured for almost a year.

I’m mildly encouraged by the business Moore has done so far. But we’re still very short from where we need to be to be competitive in League One. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 3

Being sustainable is selling your better players for fees and reinvesting.

We haven’t done that at all under Chansiri’s reign.

We’ve just let good players run down their contract and replace them with lesser versions.

That is not good business or being sustainable. It’s rank bad club management and has led us to a points deduction and relegation.

• Like 3