In todays climate do we need to merge with the Blades?!?

1 hour ago, 83owl said:

Why would they want to merge with us? We have absolutely nothing to offer which would improve them as a club. 

20000 reasons, but none of them owned by SWFC.

Merge, no, but a new shared stadium and training facilities is something we should have done years ago.

• Like 3

In the business world a merger of two medium sized companies to make one larger more competitive company would make perfect sense.

Although both Wednesday and United clearly are businesses you are dealing with generations of tribal loyalties and rivalries which wouldnt be fixed simply by the formation of lets say Sheffield City. If it ever happened, what you would get is one poorly supported "plastic" club and two reformed pheonix entities making their ways back through the leagues. 

In effect we would end up with 3 poor clubs rather than 2.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

I know that this is going to a contentious subject, but we have Barnsley, SUFC, Chesterfield and Rotherham all within walking distance of Hillsborough and traditionally this didn't matter, but in todays climate in terms of the prices to watch games etc. the only result I can see from all this is lower league football for us all forever... 

I think I am at .my lowest ebb with football in general and very close to śhit-canning the whole thing. That idea would finally make my decision for me. On a lighter note have you ever walked from Sheffield to Chesterfield?

• Like 1

Spoke to a mate (who's a blade) on this just last week. Between us, and forgetting all sides we both agreed it would be best for the city and the modern day fan. It would be great for the younger generation to see a team that could compete regularly in the top half of the Premier League and watch those games from a purpose built high capacity stadium. People on here will say 'not for me', 'it'll never happen', 'I won't go if it happens' etc. etc. but something radical needs to change to move forward with football in Sheffield. 

Slightly off subject but a sign of the times - picked up my 5 year old grandson from school the other day, took him home and whilst waiting for his mother to return from work had the usual game of footy on the back garden. As usual, I was Wednesday and he is usually Man City (!). Usually I let him win, after all they are a great side. But this time he wanted to be, yep you’ve guessed it, dem blades. Dilemma !  Do I let the blunts beat Wednesday or do I upset the 5 year old ? Now this has become a regular fixture. Where it’s come from I don’t know. WAW in our family. Obviously getting it from school, so another generation going down the pan.

• Like 2

The merger question has been around for a while - certainly the last 20 years.

Fierce rivalry and strong family loyalty to each club has always meant the financial case was always shouted down by the emotional arguments.

20 years on, it's clear football at the highest level in Europe wants to pull away. The money that was in the game then has only increased and a succession of foreign ownership means the top 6 will only continue to strive for international competition, and leave their domestic leagues - I can't see any other outcome.

This will leave the likes of Leeds, Leicester, Everton and Newcastle to become the main clubs battling it out for the English league. Can us and the pigs compete as two separate clubs? Probably not, and we'd look to finish mid-table at best and a good cup run every now and again. Maybe this is as good as it gets, but we'd better be sure that the media sponsors continue pumping money into this level as both clubs are hemorrhaging massive debt which clearly isn't sustainable. 

The pigs are currently best placed - a yo-yo club between the championship and PL, grabbing the failure money every now and again so at least they can invest into the non-football facilities. We on the other hand are possibly in our worst state since 1975, and are genuinely concerned about our immediate future. Things change quickly though and lets remember in 2015/2016 the positions were very different. This shows that both clubs have struggled to compete and in the last 20 years.

5 hours ago, Morepork said:

It is, very much about money but, well above that is the fact that it’s never been more important to be smart and shrewd. Clubs all over Europe are operating “smarter” and managing to compete with the historically “rich” clubs.

We’ve not failed because of money, we’ve failed because we weren’t just not smart, we were totally inept on every front as well. Add to that an owner with a catalogue of ruinous character and business traits. That has delivered us to this moment not money.

for us to advance we have to stop thinking BIG and start thinking smart, or at least smarter.

there IS a way back on a budget, the dingles, pigs and toytown have shown us that.

but the reason that we are, or were one of the early season favourites for promotion is some of our dumpling fans think we have a side/squad capable, when we need to start building that squad from the bare ruins of last season, and at present have barely moved on the matter.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

I know that this is going to a contentious subject, but we have Barnsley, SUFC, Chesterfield and Rotherham all within walking distance of Hillsborough and traditionally this didn't matter, but in todays climate in terms of the prices to watch games etc. the only result I can see from all this is lower league football for us all forever... 

get a bucket of water and a spade. 

turn an area of soil over with the spade, then pour in the water, and mix.

then, roll in it.

it'll be the equivalent of sharing a stand with that vermin.

we always get this question when we're doing very badly, the answer is NO, we need to run the club correctly.

• Haha 1

My first post in years. In my opinion this needs to happen Times are changing. The world (and football) evolves. Money is king. Throughout history change is challenged by some. We need to think not of ourselves and the past but of future generations. If it ever happened (I cannot see it myself) I think it would probably take 20 years afterwards for the city divide to properly merge to accept a single city club. But run properly, a single club with a single partisan support might be strong enough to not just simply survive but to compete.

• Like 1

Guest Andy W
6 hours ago, Morepork said:

If you’d been waiting patiently for rock bottom…..congratulations we’ve arrived. :Chansiri:

Id just add, whilst far from ideal, this city can accomodate two well run clubs. 

1. We haven't reached rock bottom yet

2. The city has one well run club but they don't have blue on their shirts

Nuff said

36 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Merge, no, but a new shared stadium and training facilities is something we should have done years ago.

I can't see many of our fans OR dem blades just automatically transferring their loyalty to the new Frankenstein club.  

It might well end up with lower attendences than either.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Should have been done when the Don Valley stadium was built, 

A wasted opportunity for the city and both clubs. 

Too many with tribal loyalty on both sides 

• Like 1