In todays climate do we need to merge with the Blades?!?

whilst I don’t subscribe to this not even having any Blade mates etc. I certainly wouldn’t under any circumstances want to merge with them into some sort of Sheffield City FC. I think people suggesting that are seemingly willing to forget over 150 years of history for financial expediency. 
The population of Sheffield is slightly more than the population of Liverpool - a City which has had two top flight football clubs for the past sixty years. What is required in the blue half of Sheffield is not some meek surrendering of our history, but for our famous old club to have proper owners who know how to build the club back up and at least emulate some of our past 'glories'. It’s not too much to ask for and I think it will happen one day. It’s happened at Leicester who were in very dire straights not so long ago and they are not or certainly were not, as big a club as Wednesday. 

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

I know that this is going to a contentious subject, but we have Barnsley, SUFC, Chesterfield and Rotherham all within walking distance of Hillsborough and traditionally this didn't matter, but in todays climate in terms of the prices to watch games etc. the only result I can see from all this is lower league football for us all forever... 

I imagine you thought this through on a long walk then.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, parajack said:

I have long thought that greater co operation between South Yorkshire sides,would be of benefit to all.

IE loans to other sides to cover injurys & in the case of the Player a chance  maybe to break into their own first team or otherwise get some valuable playing experience.

Sounds like a good idea that.  European countries should do it as well, better cooperation closer ties, working in the interests of everyone.... Oh

Think it would be a universally unpopular decision and the only way I could see it happening was if say Red Bull bought both teams and  renamed it Reb Bull Sheffield, the name and the kit wouldn't matter as they are both generic.

I'd take this if it was that or liquidation but it will never happen.

Honestly I just don't ever get how any swfc fan or sufc fan can actually begin to think of this as an idea 

I don't care how long youve been watching us or how long youve had a season ticket,

I dont care how bad its been and for how long and i dont care how far we fall in the future, because in my opinion if you want to merge with SUFC or think it should be even discussed or considered then I'm sorry in my eyes you are not a Wednesday fan, you're a fan of football that watches wednesday 

And you can make comments about being a true fan or uber fan i dont care this is about 100 odd years of rivalry and tradition 

Do you think these discussions in Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham, London the North East or east Anglia, I very much doubt it 

but why not got the full hog and have franchise football 

Greater Manchester giants v The North East Spartans 

The Merseysiders v Birmingham Brave Hearts  

London Capitol Punishers v The East Anglian Eagles 

West coast Warriors v The Yorkshire Dynamos 

On 13/06/2021 at 02:44, Tollertonowl said:

I know that this is going to a contentious subject, but we have Barnsley, SUFC, Chesterfield and Rotherham all within walking distance of Hillsborough and traditionally this didn't matter, but in todays climate in terms of the prices to watch games etc. the only result I can see from all this is lower league football for us all forever... 

rather merge my eyes with a stick

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Sounds like a good idea that.  European countries should do it as well, better cooperation closer ties, working in the interests of everyone.... Oh

What a silly response,what have European Countrys got to do with a Q about Sheffield/South  Yorkshire Football Clubs??  not even a valid analogy, you never heard of the League of Nations?(post war alliance) Common Market? EU? or NATO?....

Edited by parajack
  • Like 1

Never going to happen. Too much passion involved.

And forget the passion, there are several practical implications that just don't work.

Whose history do we keep? Ours is somewhat more successful but there's isn't insignificant. Whose ground do we use? Both are in desperate need of upgrades. Ours has more potential for development but theirs is central. What do you call the team? Sheffield FC is already taken and FC Sheffield would be tin-pot.

In these cases, if either team lost their version, you automatically alienate those fans. We'd both need to give up our history and there'd have to be a new ground to make it work, and where would the money for the new ground come from?

• Haha 1

I have said for years that there should be a merger but it must be a merger of equals and we need to share the different bits of our history to be a true club from Sheffield for all of Sheffield and South Yorkshire.

So we take the Sheffield from their name and the Wednesday from ours.

We take the white stripes from their kit and the blue from ours.

Bramall Lane is a City Centre site and worth more cash so we sell that ground and keep ours; that is just common sense.

Guest whowantstoberich

Why are the pigs held in such high regard on here like Wednesday aren’t worthy of them?

They have just been relegated themselves and I am pretty sure the s hit will hit the fan with there finances too soon after there disastrous recent signings 

Guest whowantstoberich

One man (wilder) was responsible for there very short lived ‘success’ and he’s no longer there.

10 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Think it would be a universally unpopular decision and the only way I could see it happening was if say Red Bull bought both teams and  renamed it Reb Bull Sheffield, the name and the kit wouldn't matter as they are both generic.

I'd take this if it was that or liquidation but it will never happen.

If we liquidated and this happened I wouldn’t support the “new” club. I support and watch Sheffield Wednesday - end of. If we no longer exist then I’ll probably watch more of other sports, whilst maybe watching a local non league side occasionally. 
Covid has probably made many fans question their own football fix as it is, I go home and away and will continue doing so, but also I’m very aware that I’ve been fine not going to matches.  I’m not even sure how I’d feel if we became a new entity. Like FC of Manchester came partly from disillusioned Man U fans, I’m not sure I’d want that, but I guess it’s hard to be certain unless it happens. 

On 13/06/2021 at 02:44, Tollertonowl said:

you start us off, we'll be along later.