In todays climate do we need to merge with the Blades?!?

As any Wednesday fan knows, supporting a football club isn't all about champagne popping and winning titles. 

Its about being proud to be a Wednesday it no matter how poo the club is. 

If you desperately need to support a club challenging for cups and titles, I'd recommend switching to Barcelona or Man City. 

Even if we did merge, the clubs would need massive investment to get near the top of the prem, and to be honest half the fan base would say goodbye and start following their most local team or a reformed Wednesday in the Vanarama or whatever the bottom division is now. 

• Like 4

Guest Mcguigan
4 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

Historically we would've bounced back to the top in the last 25yrs, but football has changed as it's all about money, which has resulted in the demise of pretty much every Yorkshire team as it's a bottomless pit... So for me it's looking like Leeds are going to be the only viable option for any Yorkshire Team to challenge for the premiership, europe and domestic cups..

Unfortunately, that’s been the case for the last 50+ years. Even worse that the gap between them and both Sheffield clubs is only going to get bigger.

Give over. I have no desire to have anything to do with that lot, nor do I envy them. Their purpose is to provide friendly rivalry, take that away and football moves ever closer to being a sterile waste of time, brands playing other brands for the sake of corporate sponsors and TV viewers in Asia, not the people in the community where they are based.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

I know that this is going to a contentious subject, but we have Barnsley, SUFC, Chesterfield and Rotherham all within walking distance of Hillsborough and traditionally this didn't matter, but in todays climate in terms of the prices to watch games etc. the only result I can see from all this is lower league football for us all forever... 

Merge no. Share a state of the art self sufficient stadium, yes. If we both agreed to build a stadium which virtually paid for itself and could be used as a venue for other events ,it would save both clubs in the long run. Especially us with the supposed £5m a year that is cost us to keep Hillsborough up and running. Although i'm not sure where the money to build it would come from.

I personally think if we were on the brink of extinction then there would be more communication coming from the club and perhaps the local media would be highlighting the possibility even more than they currently are?

The three issues that are currently causing anxiety amongst the fan base are

1) Players not being paid.

2) The continuing wait for ST refunds.

3) The current transfer embargo caused by the failure to submit the latest accounts.

Granted 3 issues that would cause concern but my take is that the reasons for each issue are

1) Lack of matchday income caused by  the pandemic plus an inability from the Chairman to get subsequent funds out of Thailand at the moment?

2) see 1)

3) The late submission of accounts has been common place under this regime.

I’m sure others will be along in a minute to disagree and suggest other reasons such as the Chairman is potless and of course this could be true?

I think the current silence will continue and the first time we’ll hear from the club will more than likely be an in house interview with the manager during the first week of pre-season. There would be no point him doing an interview with the local media as his time would be filled dealing with questions about the financial issues currently enveloping the club which in all fairness it’s not his place to answer those questions even if he could which he probably can’t?

The make up of the squad on that first day of pre-season training will probably tell us a lot as if there are no new faces present even on trial then that would cause concern on here and perhaps understandably so?

My prediction is the Chairman is probably trying to move the club on and is not making a public show of this. Mandaric never did when he tried to sell the club and I don’t think the current owner will? I’m sure the man with the Tragic Torch will be along in a minute amongst others to say that’s a load of b*ll*cks and it may well be? 

I just feel if we were about to go pop the cat would be out of the bag now but all we can do is wait and see what happens?

• Haha 1

Guest Grandad
27 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

Merge no. Share a state of the art self sufficient stadium, yes. If we both agreed to build a stadium which virtually paid for itself and could be used as a venue for other events ,it would save both clubs in the long run. Especially us with the supposed £5m a year that is cost us to keep Hillsborough up and running. Although i'm not sure where the money to build it would come from.

We've still got 28 years of £3m a year to pay for this stadium