In todays climate do we need to merge with the Blades?!?

If you’d been waiting patiently for rock bottom…..congratulations we’ve arrived. :Chansiri:

Id just add, whilst far from ideal, this city can accomodate two well run clubs. 

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Morepork said:

If you’d been waiting patiently for rock bottom…..congratulations we’ve arrived. :Chansiri:

We hit that over 20yrs ago from a season ticket holder since 93/94... It's also not what I want, but I've 4 kids (3 boys) and aside from a brief spell of good football, which they were slightly to young to appreciate it's pretty tough to sell watching Wednesday, inflict it on them and travel from York... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tollertonowl said:

We hit that over 20yrs ago from a season ticket holder since 93/94... It's also not what I want, but I've 4 kids (3 boys) and aside from a brief spell of good football, which they were slightly to young to appreciate it's pretty tough to sell watching Wednesday, inflict it on them and travel from York... 

We have no idea what rock bottom looks like yet mate. Although we may do shortly.

It’s painful to be an Owl, although I’ve never personally felt the need to win stuff etc. I’d be more than happy with a club I’m proud of. One that identifies with its fans and city. One that’s run in a professional manner.

I just don’t see a merger. it would need to be a merger of equals and for there to even start to be a debate both clubs would need to be at the precipice of some existential threat. Currently only we are in that position, to be frank they don’t heed us. That may chance eventually who knows but, the chance of both clubs being in total distress at the same time isn’t great. Even if that criteria were met I think the vast majority would prefer eternal hardship over some Frankenstein club……

• Like 5
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, Tollertonowl said:

Historically we would've bounced back to the top in the last 25yrs, but football has changed as it's all about money, which has resulted in the demise of pretty much every Yorkshire team as it's a bottomless pit... So for me it's looking like Leeds are going to be the only viable option for any Yorkshire Team to challenge for the premiership, europe and domestic cups..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Morepork said:

We have no idea what rock bottom looks like yet mate. Although we may do shortly.

It’s painful to be an Owl, although I’ve never personally felt the need to win stuff etc. I’d be more than happy with a club I’m proud of. One that identifies with its fans and city. One that’s run in a professional manner.

I just don’t see a merger. it would need to be a merger of equals and for there to even start to be a debate both clubs would need to be at the precipice of some existential threat. Currently only we are in that position, to be frank they don’t heed us. That may chance eventually who knows but, the chance of both clubs being in total distress at the same time isn’t great. Even if that criteria were met I think the vast majority would prefer eternal hardship over some Frankenstein club……

David Hirst says that he regrets not moving to Man Utd, but also says that back then it was no different from playing for us... However he didn't realise that the 1st division would become the premiership and Jack Walker would drive up players wages taking over Blackburn... Also Man City, Everton, Chelsea were nothing clubs and teams like Oldham/ Wimbledon were up there... Now the PL is a closed shop due to cash and the difference in standard.. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Morepork said:

It is, very much about money but, well above that is the fact that it’s never been more important to be smart and shrewd. Clubs all over Europe are operating “smarter” and managing to compete with the historically “rich” clubs.

We’ve not failed because of money, we’ve failed because we weren’t just not smart, we were totally inept on every front as well. Add to that an owner with a catalogue of ruinous character and business traits. That has delivered us to this moment not money.

We've never been smart when it comes to money... Didn't Howard Wilkinson leave because the board wouldn't sanction Mark Wright (liverpool/ England) and then he went to Leeds and won the last 1st division after signing Cantona on prolonged trial with us - SWFC 3rd placed that year.... Who he then sold to Man Utd who then won the league after more than 25yrs drought every year he played albeit the year he kung foo kicked a crystal palace fan and blackburn won on the last day with infinite spending.... 

Just now, Tollertonowl said:

We've never been smart when it comes to money... Didn't Howard Wilkinson leave because the board wouldn't sanction Mark Wright (liverpool/ England) and then he went to Leeds and won the last 1st division after signing Cantona on prolonged trial with us - SWFC 3rd placed that year.... Who he then sold to Man Utd who then won the league after more than 25yrs drought every year he played albeit the year he kung foo kicked a crystal palace fan and blackburn won on the last day with infinite spending.... 

we then went onto spend ridiculous amounts on players who never played for us in the late 90's like donnelly, o'connell etc... I remember my dad saying back then his mate was a celtic fan (into scottish football) and they were sick notes so couldn't work it out... Also booth wasn't a Wednesday player either as he was literally a 1950's old school centre forward/ target man.... IMO we should've let TF have time to change the team rather than spend ridiculous amounts on crappy players who were obviously not up to standard or unlikely to play more than a few games, as they were know to be injured... Instead we just continually turned over players/ managers until we were eventually demoted with Di Canio being the biggest loss when he went to West Ham for 1/3 of the price we paid so our MD could get the Director of PL job for himself, which isn't what Man Utd would've done.... Further to that most clubs in the same situation just entered administration like West Ham etc.... However we just ploughed on paying the debt for another circa 15yrs and then did exactly the same again in 5-6yrs.... Sacked a good manager who had procured our back bone of a team for peanuts, put in some good players he could've with money, played well until our crappy new manager took over, took a risk for promotion, bottled it and then spiralled into the abyss through not being able to sell players/ replace....  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Morepork said:

It is, very much about money but, well above that is the fact that it’s never been more important to be smart and shrewd. Clubs all over Europe are operating “smarter” and managing to compete with the historically “rich” clubs.

We’ve not failed because of money, we’ve failed because we weren’t just not smart, we were totally inept on every front as well. Add to that an owner with a catalogue of ruinous character and business traits. That has delivered us to this moment not money.

Im old enough to remember the banter when both Sheffield teams  yo yode between the first and second divisions

The thought of either descending to the pits was either unheard of or laughed at

At least we could put out good teams worth watching, filled with local lads

unfortunately our  owner is as far away from being local and appears  not to care about anything, apart from plastering his name on anything and everything he  lays his hands on 

• Like 2

Yes.

We'll take a colour from each shirt, so the red from the blades and the white from Wednesday.

As it's Sheffield being united, we'll be called Sheffield United.

And we'll play at a central location, so Bramall Lane.

Etc etc

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

I know that this is going to a contentious subject, but we have Barnsley, SUFC, Chesterfield and Rotherham all within walking distance of Hillsborough and traditionally this didn't matter, but in todays climate in terms of the prices to watch games etc. the only result I can see from all this is lower league football for us all forever... 

walking distance?! F*ck that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3