In todays climate do we need to merge with the Blades?!?

Guest Therealrealist
2 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

This is either a wind-up, or without a doubt the worst thread of the last 10 years.

The worst thread in the history of Owlstalk for me...but we have quite a few blunt sympathisers amongst the fan base..they all best buddies with them..go out boozing with them...it’s almost like they don’t want to be Wednesday fans.. bit weird 😒

55 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

The worst thread in the history of Owlstalk for me...but we have quite a few blunt sympathisers amongst the fan base..they all best buddies with them..go out boozing with them...it’s almost like they don’t want to be Wednesday fans.. bit weird 😒

When you’ve left school you’ll probably get a job and end up working with some of them. They’ll probably become your mates and you’ll go for a pint with them. You’ll find out for yourself one day.

On 13/06/2021 at 07:39, Maddogbob said:

While I disagree with a merger, both clubs should bin off there respective homes and ground share in a better purpose built super stadium.

We’d be getting the short end of the stick in that deal. 

Ours is a far superior, better looking, safer and more historic stadium than that fizzhole will ever be. They literally have pink seats! PINK seats

I mean, it's obviously a weird OP, but it's worth saying that it's nonsensical to think that a merger might be suggested by "today's climate". It's not just the disparity between the clubs. It's that it would only be worth doing if you could build some kind of brand with international appeal, and that wouldn't happen. It baffles me that people who take an interest in football don't realise the scale of change, still accelerating, of the past two decades.

But: counterfactually, I suspect it might have been able to work in its own terms when the clubs were in relative positions of strength in the 1990s, and the revolution hadn't really begun. I think the new club could have been attractive to some serious backers, and in those days the scale of backing needed was tiny compared to now. 

But that would depend on existing fan bases getting behind it, and they wouldn't have done so. Rightly so. We support Wednesday or United, not some notional third club, and above all you don't support a club because you believe them to be successful. Any of us could support one of the big clubs if we wanted. 

8 hours ago, 1867 said:

We’d be getting the short end of the stick in that deal. 

Ours is a far superior, better looking, safer and more historic stadium than that fizzhole will ever be. They literally have pink seats! PINK seats

Our stadiums historic for the wrong reasons.

11 minutes ago, adamnich said:

we can blend our 2 kits. We keep the blue and white shirt and blades keep the black shorts. boom. Sounds like a plan

We could go further. 

The blue stripes off our shirts and the white stripes off theirs.

Edited by OxonOwl

Guest T Hardy

Should put this in the Blades thread in the general football chat section. I’m sure it will go down well amongst our fans who care more about the Blades’ failure than us 🤣

10 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

Should put this in the Blades thread in the general football chat section. I’m sure it will go down well amongst our fans who care more about the Blades’ failure than us 🤣

they no fail.  Get 40 MILLIONS for next 2 seasons so 80 MILLIONS.   Lot of money  ?   ??    Also get best manager from outside premier league

we have to see this and we are not in good place with this Delfone

If it comes to a choice of disappearing or merging, who knows. Its unlikely given the disparity between us now, given their parachute payments. There's room for two clubs in the city, even if one ends up being semi pro. We may well have missed the boat now. Too late to do anything but drift to wherever we end up. Not a pretty sight, but living in an area of former coal pits, we all know what happens when there is a seismic shift in economics. Its a ruthless world and no one owes us any favours. Sold our club abroad to anyone who wanted to try for a fast buck and some kudos. We can hardly claim the moral ground in a cesspit of whoring clubs and pimping agents.

I'm trying to see the bigger picture. Looking 30 years and more ahead. Yes if we merged tomorrow those of us around today would find it difficult/impossible to accept. But what about future generations who might get to see the benefit of a single,stronger city club? I'm sick of seeing both clubs in the city the size of Sheffield plodding along achieving nothing while respective supporters are just happy to have a higher standing than the other.

On 13/06/2021 at 13:16, S36 OWL said:

Spot on mate. I'd become a ST holder at Stocksbridge Park Steels rather than 

On 13/06/2021 at 02:44, Tollertonowl said:

I know that this is going to a contentious subject, but we have Barnsley, SUFC, Chesterfield and Rotherham all within walking distance of Hillsborough and traditionally this didn't matter, but in todays climate in terms of the prices to watch games etc. the only result I can see from all this is lower league football for us all forever... 

Obviously last season has left you deranged. I suggest you go for a lie down.

Jeez!