In todays climate do we need to merge with the Blades?!?

10 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

I know that this is going to a contentious subject, but we have Barnsley, SUFC, Chesterfield and Rotherham all within walking distance of Hillsborough and traditionally this didn't matter, but in todays climate in terms of the prices to watch games etc. the only result I can see from all this is lower league football for us all forever... 

I just can't imagine supporting such a team withe any kind of passion or interest. You're always gonna have half the city upset that something is more favoured towards Wednesday than United, just wouldn't be great IMO. 

I can see a new ground being shared by the 2 more likely than a merger. 

We love our respective grounds but in truth neither are that great and potentially holding us back in terms of huge maintenance costs.

I mean while DC is in charge thats the least of our worries

If we ever merge with United that wll be me done with football forever.  Sorry but some things are just not acceptable and that's one of them. I'd rather we played in a local park than accept that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

If it was that Prince bloke who owns the Blades I'd create a mysterious company fronted by someone who could go in and 'buy' Sheffield Wednesday, then systematically destroy them from within and then become the only club in the city

Would be easy enough to do

No need, Chansiri already had that idea. 

23 minutes ago, prowl said:

If we ever merge with United that wll be me done with football forever.  Sorry but some things are just not acceptable and that's one of them. I'd rather we played in a local park than accept that.

Spot on mate. I'd become a ST holder at Stocksbridge Park Steels rather than support a merged Sheffield team. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

I know that this is going to a contentious subject, but we have Barnsley, SUFC, Chesterfield and Rotherham all within walking distance of Hillsborough and traditionally this didn't matter, but in todays climate in terms of the prices to watch games etc. the only result I can see from all this is lower league football for us all forever... 

76b80d0d5795e85102018c48391d4652.gif

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

merge ??? WTF are you 9 years old ??? 

Edited by OwlerIT

11 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

We've never been smart when it comes to money... Didn't Howard Wilkinson leave because the board wouldn't sanction Mark Wright (liverpool/ England) and then he went to Leeds and won the last 1st division after signing Cantona on prolonged trial with us - SWFC 3rd placed that year.... Who he then sold to Man Utd who then won the league after more than 25yrs drought every year he played albeit the year he kung foo kicked a crystal palace fan and blackburn won on the last day with infinite spending.... 

even if you punctuate this it makes as much sense as the S6 business model

sorry

• Haha 1

There's absolutely no need for a merger whatsoever. All it needs is both clubs having sensible owners, although I don't mind if they have an absolute fruitcake in charge!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

we then went onto spend ridiculous amounts on players who never played for us in the late 90's like donnelly, o'connell etc... I remember my dad saying back then his mate was a celtic fan (into scottish football) and they were sick notes so couldn't work it out... Also booth wasn't a Wednesday player either as he was literally a 1950's old school centre forward/ target man.... IMO we should've let TF have time to change the team rather than spend ridiculous amounts on crappy players who were obviously not up to standard or unlikely to play more than a few games, as they were know to be injured... Instead we just continually turned over players/ managers until we were eventually demoted with Di Canio being the biggest loss when he went to West Ham for 1/3 of the price we paid so our MD could get the Director of PL job for himself, which isn't what Man Utd would've done.... Further to that most clubs in the same situation just entered administration like West Ham etc.... However we just ploughed on paying the debt for another circa 15yrs and then did exactly the same again in 5-6yrs.... Sacked a good manager who had procured our back bone of a team for peanuts, put in some good players he could've with money, played well until our crappy new manager took over, took a risk for promotion, bottled it and then spiralled into the abyss through not being able to sell players/ replace....  

oh ! There’s more ....

12 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

Not “contentious “

just absolute sh!te

I have long thought that greater co operation between South Yorkshire sides,would be of benefit to all.

IE loans to other sides to cover injurys & in the case of the Player a chance  maybe to break into their own first team or otherwise get some valuable playing experience.

3 hours ago, Owling with laughter said:

United’s ground is in a far better state with far better facilities and fit for the Premier League.

Really? I've only ever been on their 'Kop' for an England u21 game and it was pretty cr*p. I showered and bathed for hours afterwards. 

I'll take you word for it, guess they've had 3 more prem years since we dropped out so makes sense.

13 hours ago, Tollertonowl said:

NO

NO

NO

NO 

NO

NO

NO

We are Sheffield Wednesday 

They are ... whoever they are.

Your op is as ridiculous as the idea of the Super League. 

It just diminishes what we know and love about football

NO

Owlstalk is turning into TalkSport...

I remember that bonehead, Mike Parry, advocating the same merger tosh for cities like Sheffield, Bristol, Stoke, etc.

All that happens when you merge two rubbish clubs is that you end up with one rubbish club.

• Like 2