Barry Bannan

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Good enough and fit enough to play 46/46. Magnificent player.

He’s had some poor games, many good games, and several superb games. The few fans who hammer him must be watching a different Barry Bannan to me.

Bannan will always show for the ball. He probably has more touches in a game than any other player and because of that, he is therefore likely to make more mistakes per game. I think that is what those who hammer him concentrate on, whilst missing the positives. They don't look beyond the fact that his mistake percentage - to give it a name - is lower than anyone elses.

Bannan's footballing brain is incredible. Since we lost the likes of Lee and Hooper, not many of our current players can always read his intentions, and it's not necessarily Bannan who makes the mistake, but the other player not reading him.

If we had a team full of Bannan's, we'd be in the PL.

I wonder why no one wants to bid over a million for someone held in such  high esteem. It is widely acknowledged that he can't shoot very well or score goals from open play, he cannot compete in the air and does not track back well. He sometimes chooses to play left back alongside Reach often resulting in one opposition player easily beating the pair of them and getting a shot at our goal. It is' not being a hater pointing out that he wants to play in the area a defensive midfielder should play despite him being the creative midfielder. It would be far braver of him to play much further forward in the area he does best in, this could also encourage all the team to advance further up the field. There are certain opposition managers who would just love to pinch our players yet they have not to date attempted to get BB.

It is his stage today I hope he bosses it.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

Bannan will always show for the ball. He probably has more touches in a game than any other player and because of that, he is therefore likely to make more mistakes per game. I think that is what those who hammer him concentrate on, whilst missing the positives. They don't look beyond the fact that his mistake percentage - to give it a name - is lower than anyone elses.

Bannan's footballing brain is incredible. Since we lost the likes of Lee and Hooper, not many of our current players can always read his intentions, and it's not necessarily Bannan who makes the mistake, but the other player not reading him.

If we had a team full of Bannan's, we'd be in the PL.

Biggest load of tripe I’ve ever read.

• Like 2

The more and more I think about this, the more I would like Bannan to leave the club too. 

A tidy player yes, but lacks many other qualities 

Him sitting ridiculously deep and not even attempting to stopping their player waltz through the middle of the park today.

He gets dominated in the middle of the park almost every week

When has he ever grabbed this team by the balls and elevated them forward by winning a match etc?

Before you jump on me just think about all this for a minute 

• Like 7

If the rest of the t &ssers had the confidence to show for the ball or try and do something with the ball like Bannan does...we wouldn't be having this post mortem...

You can argue to and fro whether he is a "Good" player...but he's the best we have...and the others were owt like we would still be in the championship

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

The more and more I think about this, the more I would like Bannan to leave the club too. 

A tidy player yes, but lacks many other qualities 

Him sitting ridiculously deep and not even attempting to stopping their player waltz through the middle of the park today.

He gets dominated in the middle of the park almost every week

When has he ever grabbed this team by the balls and elevated them forward by winning a match etc?

Before you jump on me just think about all this for a minute 

Is there any particular reason why any of the other 9 outfield players couldn't be relied upon for any of this, or is everything just Bannan's singular responsibility?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Is there any particular reason why any of the other 9 outfield players couldn't be relied upon for any of this, or is everything just Bannan's singular responsibility?

Nope they should have been but this is a thread on Bannan 

Barry Bannan bottles it in big games. Barry Bannan doesn't inspire other players, he only inspires himself.

I said on here about 4 years ago that I don't think a team will ever get promoted while Barry Bannan plays a major role for them. I stand by that. He is, without question, the best player at the club. And he would be the best player in League One next season, head and shoulders above. But you sacrifice so much by having him playing due to his inability to defend, insistence on standing on the CB's toes to get the ball, and his general Hollywood style.

He is a player that has the physicality and play style that demands he play in a midfield 3. He should find himself a club that plays that style and enjoy it there. 

But again, that club will never be promoted because of the above.

I will genuinely admire the bloke if he chooses to stick with it here, and he will be an actual joy to watch at that level with the quality of his ball control and passing relative to others, but I stand by the "will never get promoted" comment too. At least his boundless ability at that level would hopefully be enough to prevent us falling through the trap door into League 2.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Barry Bannan bottles it in big games. Barry Bannan doesn't inspire other players, he only inspires himself.

I said on here about 4 years ago that I don't think a team will ever get promoted while Barry Bannan plays a major role for them. I stand by that. He is, without question, the best player at the club. And he would be the best player in League One next season, head and shoulders above. But you sacrifice so much by having him playing due to his inability to defend, insistence on standing on the CB's toes to get the ball, and his general Hollywood style.

He is a player that has the physicality and play style that demands he play in a midfield 3. He should find himself a club that plays that style and enjoy it there. 

But again, that club will never be promoted because of the above.

I will genuinely admire the bloke if he chooses to stick with it here, and he will be an actual joy to watch at that level with the quality of his ball control and passing relative to others, but I stand by the "will never get promoted" comment too. At least his boundless ability at that level would hopefully be enough to prevent us falling through the trap door into League 2.

There's a reason he's been a bit part player at every single club he's been at prior to us. 

• Like 1