Barry Bannan

1 minute ago, Owls2k said:

Brentford wanted him early into the season, he could easily found a Championship club. 

It would have made more sense if he already lived in the area, but he didn't until around the contract signing. All very odd. I am pleased he signed it though. 

They may have been willing to pay 1m (chicken feed to what they raked in) but he did not sign or they did not follow up, could he fit into their style of play? most fans think he can't play as a central two. Maybe he thought he would be a bench player and prefers playing.

3 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Brentford wanted him early into the season, he could easily found a Championship club. 

It would have made more sense if he already lived in the area, but he didn't until around the contract signing. All very odd. I am pleased he signed it though. 

I think he likes being the man, is happy with his wages and is close with DC and believes we will come good or at least his vision. It must be appealing to make yourself a club legend, Bannan can still do that for us. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

Brentfords offer was 1m on deadline day to a club well known to be in financial difficulty. Hardly a sign of them "wanting him" 

It was a punt on their half, a measly offer for someone who would be a squad player for them. They would use him when they play the dross like us to give their other player a rest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

Because he leads the team in tackles won, and is second in interceptions (behind Lees), and has a passing accuracy of 77%*.

And most nights is the only one on the field that looks like he gives a damn.

(*Before the predicatble whinging about "back passes" comes in:  39.2% FORWARD, 21.0 % RIGHT, 16.2 % BACKWARD, 23.6% LEFT.  Only 16% are backward passes.)

Who do you propose to play instead?

Of all the nonsense narratives I've heard this year, the sentiment of "why didn't we bench Bannan?" has to be the among the most ridiculous.  Chansiri having his child give input on the manager's interviews might just edge you out, but it's awfully close.

For the thousands of times he receives and demands the ball, his percentage of losses of possession and long balls only for some poor devils to chase are troubling. Without him, we could play a less chancy less ambitious type of midfield game. Pass and move . 

• Like 1

Just now, victorturner said:

For the thousands of times he receives and demands the ball, his percentage of losses of possession and long balls only for some poor devils to chase are troubling. Without him, we could play a less chancy less ambitious type of midfield game. Pass and move . 

You mean like a midfield full of Joeys?

2 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Brentfords offer was 1m on deadline day to a club well known to be in financial difficulty. Hardly a sign of them "wanting him" 

It was a punt on their half, a measly offer for someone who would be a squad player for them. They would use him when they play the dross like us to give their other player a rest.

It was hardly a sign of them wanting him when they put £1m down, are you on glue?

3 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Was it ? 
How do you know that ?

4 minutes ago, should know better said:

They may have been willing to pay 1m (chicken feed to what they raked in) but he did not sign or they did not follow up, could he fit into their style of play? most fans think he can't play as a central two. Maybe he thought he would be a bench player and prefers playing.

The point I was making is that the timing of it all was odd, as he will undoubtably have other options. 

If a play off side were willing to snip him for £1m then countless Championship clubs would have happily secured his services for free at the end of the season. 

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm finding it hard to fathom how you think offering £1million pounds for a player is NOT wanting them

lol

Neil I will put down £1mil now for you to pleasure me until completion.

But I don't want you. 

(2 mins of service required)

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Or a sign they're not a club that spaffs cash for fun like we do

Well yes there is that. The point is it was just a punt for them to a club known to be desperate for cash, they were hardly desperate for him to sign especially given the amount of wonga they have given the players they sold earlier in the summer.

1 minute ago, Owls2k said:

The point I was making is that the timing of it all was odd, as he will undoubtably have other options. 

If a play off side were willing to snip him for £1m then countless Championship clubs would have happily secured his services for free at the end of the season. 

Yes quite odd because a top midfielder in this division might be around 15m so an apparent bargain at 1M, and why did no one tap him up with a big offer if he let his contract run out. 

Time will tell if anyone wants to bid and we will find out what other clubs value him at. 

In recent times we have encountered Mooy, Shelvey and Cairney to name a few who dragged their teams up who would have gone for big money had their teams failed to get promoted.