Barry Bannan

18 minutes ago, 83owl said:

There's a reason he's been a bit part player at every single club he's been at prior to us. 

Theres also a reason why he was voted player of the year.....could be the sheer inadequacies of the rest..but it says summat

51 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Barry Bannan bottles it in big games. Barry Bannan doesn't inspire other players, he only inspires himself.

I said on here about 4 years ago that I don't think a team will ever get promoted while Barry Bannan plays a major role for them. I stand by that. He is, without question, the best player at the club. And he would be the best player in League One next season, head and shoulders above. But you sacrifice so much by having him playing due to his inability to defend, insistence on standing on the CB's toes to get the ball, and his general Hollywood style.

He is a player that has the physicality and play style that demands he play in a midfield 3. He should find himself a club that plays that style and enjoy it there. 

But again, that club will never be promoted because of the above.

I will genuinely admire the bloke if he chooses to stick with it here, and he will be an actual joy to watch at that level with the quality of his ball control and passing relative to others, but I stand by the "will never get promoted" comment too. At least his boundless ability at that level would hopefully be enough to prevent us falling through the trap door into League 2.

Very well said.

Some posters just can’t see the wider context of his role and the effect it has on the overall team. Because he’s our best player it means any criticism or debate is a no go zone. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Top player, pulls off some top moves and passes, very influential, never stops wanting the ball, never shies away from the game, never goes hiding

COME ON BARRY - DO YOUR THING

It is interesting. A friend of mine is friends with Bannan. They are connected through horse racing.

He messaged today to say he thought it was Bannan’s responsibility to steady the side when we went in front. He thought we/he should have done better.

10 hours ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

Today should be his 46th league start of the season.

One of only 3 outfield players in the entire Championship to do so this season. 

In a day and age where players get rested and rotated more often, it speaks volumes about his dedication to the game. 

If we do go down today, it’s not because of him.

I wish others in our squad would have given half what he has, then we might not be in this mess. Well, DC aside and all that.

UTO. 

Interesting that others get rested and rotated because they are tired...why not him? Some of his performances have not been good. All that punting it lazily down the field

55 minutes ago, victorturner said:

Interesting that others get rested and rotated because they are tired...why not him? Some of his performances have not been good. All that punting it lazily down the field

Because he leads the team in tackles won, and is second in interceptions (behind Lees), and has a passing accuracy of 77%*.

And most nights is the only one on the field that looks like he gives a damn.

(*Before the predicatble whinging about "back passes" comes in:  39.2% FORWARD, 21.0 % RIGHT, 16.2 % BACKWARD, 23.6% LEFT.  Only 16% are backward passes.)

Who do you propose to play instead?

Of all the nonsense narratives I've heard this year, the sentiment of "why didn't we bench Bannan?" has to be the among the most ridiculous.  Chansiri having his child give input on the manager's interviews might just edge you out, but it's awfully close.

Edited by Indoor Owl
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Where was the big game today from Bannan? Offered very little as per usual and wow he got player of season for one of the worst squad of players we have assembled.

We scored 3 goals. He wasn't at his best but surely if we score 3 against the lowest scorers in the division it should be enough. Shocking defending at 1-0 and 3-2 up was not down to him. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

We scored 3 goals. He wasn't at his best but surely if we score 3 against the lowest scorers in the division it should be enough. Shocking defending at 1-0 and 3-2 up was not down to him. 

Maybe if we had a player in that position with more presence to help out when we don't have possession we might concede fewer goals. Just a thought. I was expecting him stepping up, dominating and controlling the midfield and seeing us to a win. But no we didn't get that and at times Derby had the freedom to run through midfield with nothing to stop them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Maybe if we had a player in that position with more presence to help out when we don't have possession we might concede fewer goals. Just a thought. I was expecting him stepping up, dominating and controlling the midfield and seeing us to a win. But no we didn't get that and at times Derby had the freedom to run through midfield with nothing to stop them.

OK mate. All Bannan's fault.

I guess at least if he does get a move we will be fine next season.

Utterly bizarre that you expect him to carry the team every time.

Amazed he's pledged himself to us regardless, even as the ship was badly listing and looking extremely likely to go under.

Every time we play anyone, if you go on their forum they're all "Wendies are shybo, going down, could we get Bannan here". Every time.

Absolute gold dust that boy, on a free an' all. Couple of great years left in him yet. Forza Bazza.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I would just like him to dominate and control midfield but unfortunately he isn't capable of doing so. He is a limited player on a vast salary that he doesn't justify. Funny how other teams have managed to recruit better players than Bannan during his time with us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I would just like him to dominate and control midfield but unfortunately he isn't capable of doing so. He is a limited player on a vast salary that he doesn't justify. Funny how other teams have managed to recruit better players than Bannan during his time with us.

We can't recruit better players because we don't sell and are mismanaged financially. 

Bannan is not the type of player to dominate midfield, never has been, that doesn't make him a poor player. 

Just now, hirstyboywonder said:

We can't recruit better players because we don't sell and are mismanaged financially. 

Bannan is not the type of player to dominate midfield, never has been, that doesn't make him a poor player. 

Well he's a luxury we can ill afford. Take the best offer we get so we can pay to play at Hillsborough next season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

lol

2 hours ago, victorturner said:

And replaced with who ?

There is only Luongo that is anywhere near the level of Bannan in the centre of the park