Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

2 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

I wonder if people would be more in favour of it if there was relegation, and promotion to it for league winners.

Yea, and if qualification from the outset was based on where you finish the season before. 

We could call it a league of champions or a 'Champions League' if you will. We can tweak the formats to be league or knockout and expand to include more teams and dilute the value of that competition as the years progress too

5 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

No way will the Premier league kick them out. They will shuffle their fixture list to accomadate them.

I can see these clubs pulling out of the 2 domestic cup competitions though.

Agree with your assumption but that in itself would be a disgrace. It has to be all, or nothing.

28 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't think it's that easy, if Sky, BT turn their noses up ESPN or DAZN just come in for it. These clubs have worldwide appeal, some random Yank or Fillipino doesn't care about the history of the football league, the 92 clubs, they support Liverpool and they would prefer to see them face the biggest sides all of the time-so the money will be thrown at them. 

No, it's not necessarily that easy, you're right. However if, as per your example, ESPN and DAZN (and the countless others) were banned from showing domestic or cup competitions from the respective leagues (PL, Serie A and La Liga), it would quickly reduce the appeal of those stations, for the European market at least and possibly North American and Canadian.

After a few seasons this lovefest will soon become boring, viewing figures will slide even in the Asian market and at that point, all of these clubs will be out on their backsides with nowhere to go. It's the real, home based fans of these clubs that I feel for.

Guest T Hardy
1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Sky and the Premier League who charged fans 14.99 in a pandemic to watch matches taking the moral high ground, fantastic. 

It won't happen

It's the clubs protesting the new Champions League format, UEFA will concede and not  go ahead with the restructure and the Super League idea will get put back in it's box until the big clubs want UEFA to bend over for them again.

Guest T Hardy
Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

Doesn't make his points less valid

When he brings up the fans and suggests they’re the ones who will suffer, it does, it’s not just specifically him but the reactions that Sky are promoting too. Funnily enough I’ve never heard them complain about how much a fan gets f*cked over who has to pay for Sky Sports. 

I just find is so insincere that apparently the fans matter now, only because Sky could miss out on this 

They will probably invite 5 crap clubs as their patsies so that these superior 11 clubs can travel the globe demonstrating their wonderful skill sets.

Bit like the Harlem Globe Trotters used to do in basketball.

I currently have no interest in the champion league  so won't be tuning in to these games.

8 hours ago, bobness said:

"How come nobody invited us to join? Maybe the letter got lost in the post" 

:Chansiri:

there was a time in my lifetime when we were one of the big 6

Even if we still were, I'm totally against this and will not subscribe to watch or listen to it

I love to chuck out these arrogant billionaires from the British game, but that's not possible it's gone too far now the game's completely stuffed and I blame SKY for started this gravy train

46 minutes ago, 0114 said:

Disgraceful. 

They would still compete in the PL but be financially MILES ahead of everyone else, more than they currently are!

Would essentially make finishing in the top 4 redundant. It completely devalues the current PL format. 

This decision is motivated by nothing more than money. I say kick them out the PL and let them play this super league every week.

Then let’s try and build a PL where the division is more open! Make a league where everyone feels they have a chance of winning it.

So what happens if they're playing Burnley on a Wednesday night,but also playing Barcelona the same night.who has preference.?

29 minutes ago, vulva said:

It’s the players that hold the key to this. 

Players are not going to reject the chance to earn more money.

17 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

No, it's not necessarily that easy, you're right. However if, as per your example, ESPN and DAZN (and the countless others) were banned from showing domestic or cup competitions from the respective leagues (PL, Serie A and La Liga), it would quickly reduce the appeal of those stations, for the European market at least and possibly North American and Canadian.

After a few seasons this lovefest will soon become boring, viewing figures will slide even in the Asian market and at that point, all of these clubs will be out on their backsides with nowhere to go. It's the real, home based fans of these clubs that I feel for.

they would just make their own cup competition, get a load of other clubs involved. 

also all the American clubs are same teams every year, their fans don’t get bored

8 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

It won't happen

It's the clubs protesting the new Champions League format, UEFA will concede and not  go ahead with the restructure and the Super League idea will get put back in it's box until the big clubs want UEFA to bend over for them again.

I thought this originally, but I’m increasingly starting to think it’s a bit of a naive view. Almost everything people are angry about today is something these people and clubs don’t care about. They want the money from this Super League and they are not bothered about people’s hot air regarding history, tradition, competition or fans. 

The clubs have announced they’re doing it. The veil is off. It’ll either happen now or the next time there’s a negotiating position that needs more leverage than they can get.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Football is basically FinanceBall. 

I agree that the players and a handful of managers hold the key somewhat - if the players join they get removed from their national teams potentially - so it’s choosing new money over playing for their country. 

I can’t see many top players saying a thing for now until they see how this suits them. 

9 minutes ago, T Hardy said:

When he brings up the fans and suggests they’re the ones who will suffer, it does, it’s not just specifically him but the reactions that Sky are promoting too. Funnily enough I’ve never heard them complain about how much a fan gets f*cked over who has to pay for Sky Sports. 

I just find is so insincere that apparently the fans matter now, only because Sky could miss out on this 

Sky would argue that their money has updated grounds, made the fans "matchday experience" more valued.  J P Morgan will milk this for all its worth and will walk away when fans get fed up with watching the same boring fixtures year after year.  

Sky kept the present league format because it works, keeps the season alive for most clubs and gives clubs outside the Premier the motivation to join them. 

4 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Players are not going to reject the chance to earn more money.

they would just make their own cup competition, get a load of other clubs involved. 

also all the American clubs are same teams every year, their fans don’t get bored

They have never had relegation in the USA, when fans are told about our league format they love the idea of promotion and relegation.  

• Like 1