Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

I do find the whole thing very hypocritical from the premier league who have claimed it takes away fair competition, meanwhile they are happy to give all teams relegated from their division £100m for their troubles. 

Yes and the irony of Liverpool people like Murphy saying the ESL will be boring, a closed shop, same teams etc. The top of English football has been boring and predictable for the majority of the PL seasons, apart from 1 miracle season it’s been the same clubs at the top of the league and winning the cups for about 20 years, as they can sign up the best players with their wealth.  We know with about 95% accuracy that Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool will win the league and that Chelsea, Man City or arsenal will win the cups.  That’s become the norm

This may be a good chance for wealth to be shared amongst more clubs in English football 

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
6 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

Yes and the irony of Liverpool people like Murphy saying the ESL will be boring, a closed shop, same teams etc. The top of English football has been boring and predictable for the majority of the PL seasons, apart from 1 miracle season it’s been the same clubs at the top of the league and winning the cups for about 20 years, as they can sign up the best players with their wealth.  We know with about 95% accuracy that Man City, Chelsea or Liverpool will win the league and that Chelsea, Man City or arsenal will win the cups.  That’s become the norm

This may be a good chance for wealth to be shared amongst more clubs in English football 

It’s definitely got worse in terms of who actually wins the league, I’ve just looked through the list of league champions, and as everyone knows the ‘big 6’ have won 26 out of 28 since the PL was formed with Blackburn and Leicester the exceptions.

But they also won 18 out of 28 in the years before that (1964-92)... and then you have the likes of Leeds (3) and Everton (3) winning some of the others, who you could argue were part of the top 6 at the time (pre Chelsea and Man City investment). Then you have a couple for Derby, one each for Forest and Villa. I’d guess Derby and Forest were the Leicester and Blackburn of the time.

You have to go back even further to see much greater diversity amongst league champions. Within living memory, it’s always been the case that the big clubs compete for honours.. the main difference isn’t the gap between top and middle and bottom of the PL, it’s the gap between PL and football league which has got wider. 

The irony of it all

Our chairman throws millions and millions at trying to get us to this so called promised land of the premier league

Imagine if he had succeeded  and gone on to spend spend spend

Ok breaking into the top 6 would be unrealistic but just say we at some point we’re asked to join ( let’s face it Tottenham were)

We end up being in a place no self respecting football fan wants to be and our chairman would have lapped it up. His name everywhere!

You know what... relegation is tough but I would rather go down and connect with the heart and soul of football than be jettisoned into watching my team in a plastic competition run by financiers where there is no heart and soul at all 

Man City were nowhere a few years ago

but I’d rather wake up this morning a Wednesdayite than a City fan

• Like 3
  • Love 1

21 minutes ago, cardiffowl06 said:

Thing is, this is the opportunity for the FA to regain their power against these clubs. The FA dont need to cower to them. The FA represents more than those 6 clubs.

I'm more cynical than you then. They will bend over backwards to placate the greedy 6 at the expense of every other club in the country right down to grass roots level. The fa have no spine and won't weild their power. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Owls-Fan said:

and from the press release ;

"In addition, the competition will be built on a sustainable financial foundation with all Founding Clubs signing up to a spending framework. In exchange for their commitment, Founding Clubs will receive an amount of €3.5 billion solely to support their infrastructure investment plans and to offset the impact of the COVID pandemic."

Want to bet how much of that money filters down .

• Like 1

If I was in charge of the football Governing body (be that the PL, FA, UEFA or FIFA), my message would be simple: back this, and you are out on your own. Sponsor games in the SL and you will not be allowed to sponsor games at any other level. Show the matches live or the highlights and you will be excluded from bid tenders for League and cup competitions, both domestic, European and at International level. Play or manage in these games and as has been muted, you will play no part in any FA, UEFA or FIFA based competition ever again.

The clubs think they have the power, but the power sits with the people throwing money in to the pot. Nullify that, and there is no appeal.

This will have huge implications on the players, who are contracted to these clubs and may not want to see their Internatoinal careers taken away from them by these greedy individuals. How would a player get out of their contract? What laws could be applied.

Have the fans of these clubs been approached about the idea? Or is it just a bunch of rich Americans and Russians, and an Emerati (in the PL) that want to increase their own power and wealth, for destruction of the game? Those fans who may be pro the idea would soon get bored of this within 3 or 4 years, which would mean any viewing figures, both attending matches or watching them, would drop. Which would result in less sponsorship money and TV money coming in. It really hasn't been thought through.

The Governing bodies now need to act fast and act hard.

• Like 1

Can all the governing bodies just ban them from their respective competitions now

if so it would be an independent league with nothing to play for and will soon dissolve also who would sign for them if it becomes a pointless league 

or hit every club involved unsustainable fines stripping their finances and relegate them to the lower leagues 

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Whilst I disagree with much of whatT hardy has posted, I think he does make some valid points. The big six have dominated domestic football so much since the prem / Sky, it is practically like Scotland now. Yes occasionally someone gets a chance, but it’s few and far between. I think this could really rejuvenate English football.. the likes of Villa West Ham, and even us* us would have a chance of winning something. The FA Cup would go back to being a prestigious tournament.Brexit would mean our leagues would no longer be full of foreign mercenaries, top flight clubs would look to buy lower league players again.

* but not dem trophy dodging blades obviously.

Any title winners/cup winners would be a hollow victory without the top six.  What bragging rights have you got when you haven't played the best sides, it just renders it as meaningless.    

Fans flocked back to the game when "Foreign mercenaries" were introduced to the Premier.  

Just now, ChapSmurf said:

If I was in charge of the football Governing body (be that the PL, FA, UEFA or FIFA), my message would be simple: back this, and you are out on your own. Sponsor games in the SL and you will not be allowed to sponsor games at any other level. Show the matches live or the highlights and you will be excluded from bid tenders for League and cup competitions, both domestic, European and at International level. Play or manage in these games and as has been muted, you will play no part in any FA, UEFA or FIFA based competition ever again.

The clubs think they have the power, but the power sits with the people throwing money in to the pot. Nullify that, and there is no appeal.

This will have huge implications on the players, who are contracted to these clubs and may not want to see their Internatoinal careers taken away from them by these greedy individuals. How would a player get out of their contract? What laws could be applied.

Have the fans of these clubs been approached about the idea? Or is it just a bunch of rich Americans and Russians, and an Emerati (in the PL) that want to increase their own power and wealth, for destruction of the game? Those fans who may be pro the idea would soon get bored of this within 3 or 4 years, which would mean any viewing figures, both attending matches or watching them, would drop. Which would result in less sponsorship money and TV money coming in. It really hasn't been thought through.

The Governing bodies now need to act fast and act hard.

I don't think it's that easy, if Sky, BT turn their noses up ESPN or DAZN just come in for it. These clubs have worldwide appeal, some random Yank or Fillipino doesn't care about the history of the football league, the 92 clubs, they support Liverpool and they would prefer to see them face the biggest sides all of the time-so the money will be thrown at them. 

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Any title winners/cup winners would be a hollow victory without the top six.  What bragging rights have you got when you haven't played the best sides, it just renders it as meaningless.    

Fans flocked back to the game when "Foreign mercenaries" were introduced to the Premier.  

Fan's don't need much for bragging rights, we still sing about beating United in 1979. Don't worry we will move on. When we win the 2025 FA cup we will still be happy even though we only had to beat Burnley in the final. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

My post from the other section.

Well this certainly went bang last night. Never seen such unity from proper football fans over anything since Sir Bobby passed away. 

I'm probably being cynical here but all the talk of the greedy 6 being kicked out of the league etc is just hot air. I think they'll shelve this superleague plan in return for a bigger slice of the Premier league money pie. I dont think fifa or uefa or our FA will have the stones to actually punish these clubs in any way close to what is being talked about. A fine in in public and a private payment under the table to certain parties will see this smoothed over and the 12 teams will still benefit in the long run. 

If I'm wrong then I'll doff my cap to them. 

was just about to post the same thing............................cant see this happening but when the dust has settled you can guarantee the "big 6" will have secured an even bigger slice of the pie.

Disgraceful. 

They would still compete in the PL but be financially MILES ahead of everyone else, more than they currently are!

Would essentially make finishing in the top 4 redundant. It completely devalues the current PL format. 

This decision is motivated by nothing more than money. I say kick them out the PL and let them play this super league every week.

Then let’s try and build a PL where the division is more open! Make a league where everyone feels they have a chance of winning it.

• Like 4

Just now, Ellis Rimmer said:

Fan's don't need much for bragging rights, we still sing about beating United in 1979. Don't worry we will move on. When we win the 2025 FA cup we will still be happy even though we only had to beat Burnley in the final. 

When we win the 2025 FA Cup united fans will mock us for celebrating a weak competition and is not worth the paper it's written on. And we will secretly agree with them.

It's going to weaken the whole structure of the game there is nothing good about this.  Just very rich people plotting to become even richer. 

Guest T Hardy
3 hours ago, Plonk said:

Whilst I disagree with much of whatT hardy has posted, I think he does make some valid points. The big six have dominated domestic football so much since the prem / Sky, it is practically like Scotland now. Yes occasionally someone gets a chance, but it’s few and far between. I think this could really rejuvenate English football.. the likes of Villa West Ham, and even us* us would have a chance of winning something. The FA Cup would go back to being a prestigious tournament.Brexit would mean our leagues would no longer be full of foreign mercenaries, top flight clubs would look to buy lower league players again.

* but not dem trophy dodging blades obviously.

Thanks.. some people hit you hard and call you a troll for hitting back just as hard, glad you could see some sense in my posts even if most here don’t lol