Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

5 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

You're showing a very defeatist attitude towards it is what I'm saying. 

Whether people are surprised by any of this isn't the point, and if you're not surprised then that doesn't mean you should just accept it.

I'm not defeatist at all -  i don't care

Just being pragmatic and looking at how football has evolved over the last 20 years

Clubs would sacfrifice a newborn child on the centre spot every game if it eked out a few more quid

The game has gone

It's a totally immoral 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

In terms of freak occurrences you could argue Leeds, Derby & Forest in the 60's and 70's, Villa in the 80's, Blackburn and Leeds in the 90's, the emergence of Chelsea in the 00's the emergence of Citeh & Leicester in the 10's. Except in the case of the last three clubs it is being sustained.

Football always has it's freak occurrences and always will, we just have to make sure we are in a position to be one of them.

Don't encourage him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Just seen Danny Murphy talking about this on Match of the Day 2, said he can't believe the likes of Pep and Solskjaer haven't come out and spoken against it.

A bit thick isn't he?

Klopp's the one that gets me. What does the grinning man of the people think about all this? 

2 minutes ago, mildatheart67 said:

Klopp said last year he opposed any breakaway league.

I think he will walk away from the club

Would be entertaining to see Klopp walk away and go back to Dortmund to lead the resistance of clubs against the Super League.

Won't actually happen like that I imagine but still, it's a nice thought. I think I'd actually be most upset if some of the German clubs started signing up, at least the Bundesliga will be a bastion for those of us looking for a league that gives a flying throw about its fans.

• Like 1

Perhaps the Premier League should get on the phone to Rangers and Celtic and offer them a place in the Premier League next season?

I was dead against them going straight into the Premier League without qualifying through promotion via the pyramid, but in the extraordinary scenario of 6 clubs being excluded this would be an obvious way to fill two of the gaps. Plus would also show the 6 clubs that this is serious - once they take this step there is no way back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Perhaps the Premier League should get on the phone to Rangers and Celtic and offer them a place in the Premier League next season?

I was dead against them going straight into the Premier League without qualifying through promotion via the pyramid, but in the extraordinary scenario of 6 clubs being excluded this would be an obvious way to fill two of the gaps. Plus would also show the 6 clubs that this is serious - once they take this step there is no way back.

Why should celtic and Rangers get a chance in premier league? 

Let's invite Aberdeen and Motherwell too 

Only teams that should be replacing them are this seasons top 6 in the championship or whoever are the top 6 are when the big to55ers p155 off 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, manicowl said:

It's a cliche to say that the game's gone but... The game's gone. I will carry on listening to Quickly Kevin and Nessun Dorma and watching YouTube videos of Liverpool from the late eighties when I'm full of wine on a Friday night. My team are about to be relegated due to horrific management by an idiotic businessman who wanted to buy a football team for a hobby. The "Big Six" are owned by Americans, Israelis and Arabs who do not give a poo that there's a nine year old kid from Ancoats or Moss Side who will never see Man Utd play live because his dad can't afford to take him. The enormous goodwill towards the game after years of apathy that Southgate generated during the last World Cup has been wasted. I really hope Kane, Henderson, Maguire etc are booting their chairman's doors down saying they want no part of this. I'm going to watch Liverpool vs Newcastle from 96 and pretend none of this is happening. testicles to football.

Totally agree. Maybe we will get football back. We can go back to the days when teams got promoted and could succeed in the top flight. Let’s go the whole hog and rebrand as Division 1 to 4

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

What happens when Jim Crankie declares independence and recalls everyone to Scotland

19 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

Why should celtic and Rangers get a chance in premier league? 

Let's invite Aberdeen and Motherwell too 

Only teams that should be replacing them are this seasons top 6 in the championship or whoever are the top 6 are when the big to55ers p155 off 

Okay, so give the spots to Swansea and Cardiff instead?

My main reasoning is it would be a glorious way to stick two fingers up to the likes of Arsenal and Spurs and also add an extra bit of spice to a league that would hopefully blow this European Super League out of the water. Plus, you would have two fantastic clubs, with brilliant atmospheres added into the mix, and that are currently stagnating.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

This is great news. Im excited by this and hope it happens. I cant wait to see the back of these greedy selfish tv clubs and their plastic fans. The PL is unbelievably boring, same teams dominate year after year. Its getting just like scotland.

I cant wait for them to go and make football interesting again in England

Absolutely John. Agree totally. Kill Sky and you kill the greed in the game. Would be so funny if that happens and it flops as a TV event. But then they will just play all the games in Asia and rebrand it as the Asian super league.

1 minute ago, Plonk said:

What happens when Jim Crankie declares independence and recalls everyone to Scotland

Well, in all seriousness - having Rangers and Celtic suddenly have the opportunity to make lots of money and sign superstars again might actually keep the Union together. The voters in Glasgow would suddenly feel a surge in British nationalism (well, the Rangers supporting ones at least).

• Haha 1

If this starts in August, how long have they been negotiating this behind the leagues back.  Should be in big trouble for that alone.

But would it also represent relegation  reprieves  for both Sheffield clubs under “ the great reset”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Assuming of course that:

a) it really happens

b) it gets support from the viewing public

c) it has long term sustainability

Think we can take a) for granted now but b) and c) is in the lap of the Gods.

If it doesn’t they will take it on tour to Asia and rebrand it the Asian super league

Whilst I disagree with much of whatT hardy has posted, I think he does make some valid points. The big six have dominated domestic football so much since the prem / Sky, it is practically like Scotland now. Yes occasionally someone gets a chance, but it’s few and far between. I think this could really rejuvenate English football.. the likes of Villa West Ham, and even us* us would have a chance of winning something. The FA Cup would go back to being a prestigious tournament.Brexit would mean our leagues would no longer be full of foreign mercenaries, top flight clubs would look to buy lower league players again.

* but not dem trophy dodging blades obviously.

• Like 1

The clubs have been knocking on this door on and off for years. This door one way another has remained shut but I think the pandemic and particularly once the plan that the owners of Liverpool and I think Manchester United that was put forward and let’s not forget backed by that well known bastion of fair play and decency, the current EFL Chairman no less was thrown out, then I think there has been a sort of ‘Sod You’ attitude from the elite clubs and now we have this current situation?

Totally expecting it to happen. You’ll get the usual figures and clubs stamping their feet but there was once the threat of a breakaway and then the premier league was formed. This was almost 30 years ago and the game certainly from a financial point of view has progressed. This is the next step and however things pan out and whatever the future structure becomes then it’ll be eventually accepted and the game will hopefully move on and progress again?

• Like 1
  • Love 1