Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

Presumably, the 12 have had advanced  discussions about broadcast and streaming contracts before going public. If they are expelled, the Premier and companion leagues will have their media contracts torn up and renegotiated. Not clear who wins this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Would be entertaining to see Klopp walk away and go back to Dortmund to lead the resistance of clubs against the Super League.

Won't actually happen like that I imagine but still, it's a nice thought. I think I'd actually be most upset if some of the German clubs started signing up, at least the Bundesliga will be a bastion for those of us looking for a league that gives a flying throw about its fans.

As I said earlier in the thread mate the German teams can’t signup and they won’t. It’s one of several reasons why the Bundesliga is the best league in Europe.

With the ruling they have over there where clubs fans have 51% of their clubs shares nonsense like this will never happen.

If they want a closed shop, then make it so.

No entry to them or a proxy to any English or other European competitions.  No transfers allowed from unlicensed competitions to licensed ones, only out of contract players can move.  £ for £ transfers from England to ESL with the buyer paying equal money to grassroots level football as they do for the player.  No international caps for players in those leagues.

Any re-entry to the national leagues starts at the very bottom of the pyramid.

Make it as boring as it's going to be, a stagnant midge-infested puddle.

Can't stand the hypocrisy from clubs, fans, former players, FIFA et al about greed though.   

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Jim said:

The clubs have been knocking on this door on and off for years. This door one way another has remained shut but I think the pandemic and particularly once the plan that the owners of Liverpool and I think Manchester United that was put forward and let’s not forget backed by that well known bastion of fair play and decency, the current EFL Chairman no less was thrown out, then I think there has been a sort of ‘Sod You’ attitude from the elite clubs and now we have this current situation?

Totally expecting it to happen. You’ll get the usual figures and clubs stamping their feet but there was once the threat of a breakaway and then the premier league was formed. This was almost 30 years ago and the game certainly from a financial point of view has progressed. This is the next step and however things pan out and whatever the future structure becomes then it’ll be eventually accepted and the game will hopefully move on and progress again?

Great summary, it's exactly what I've been thinking. I too think it will happen. Hopefully the Premier League will basically relegate them with point deductions and give them massive fines (like what Gary Neville said above in the clips and what happened with Saracens in Rugby.) Would the PL have the balls to do that though? If the clubs continue with the Super League still, strip them of the titles from this year as well. Also I think everyone wouldn't move up 6 places, instead the 3 relegated clubs will remain in the PL.

• Thanks 1

So it’ll result in our domestic cup competitions being devalued even more than they already have been.

It was mentioned during commentary on Saturday that that was City’s 20th cup game of the season. Get to the final of the new SL and that’s going to be 23 straight away. Haven’t City already been fined because they boo their way through the Champions League theme at beginning of games so I can’t see them not kicking off.

All the pundits are outraged so I assume Sky, BBC and the rest will refuse to broadcast it.

One thing I haven’t even thought about yet is the ramifications for the National sides. We would potentially lose Tierney, Robertson, McTominay from our national team.

You would lose Henderson, Walker, Chilwell, Stones, Maguire, James, Dier, Shaw, Foden, Mount, Kane, Sterling, TAA, Saka, Winks, Henderson, Rashford, Abraham, Greenwood. 

Looking at what defenders you have left Tom Lees might called up lol

Edited by edinburghowl
  • Haha 1

Well this certainly went bang last night. Never seen such unity from proper football fans over anything since Sir Bobby passed away. 

I'm probably being cynical here but all the talk of the greedy 6 being kicked out of the league etc is just hot air. I think they'll shelve this superleague plan in return for a bigger slice of the Premier league money pie. I dont think fifa or uefa or our FA will have the stones to actually punish these clubs in any way close to what is being talked about. A fine in in public and a private payment under the table to certain parties will see this smoothed over and the 12 teams will still benefit in the long run. 

If I'm wrong then I'll doff my cap to them. 

3 minutes ago, latemodelchild said:

Well this certainly went bang last night. Never seen such unity from proper football fans over anything since Sir Bobby passed away. 

I'm probably being cynical here but all the talk of the greedy 6 being kicked out of the league etc is just hot air. I think they'll shelve this superleague plan in return for a bigger slice of the Premier league money pie. I dont think fifa or uefa or our FA will have the stones to actually punish these clubs in any way close to what is being talked about. A fine in in public and a private payment under the table to certain parties will see this smoothed over and the 12 teams will still benefit in the long run. 

Thing is, this is the opportunity for the FA to regain their power against these clubs. The FA dont need to cower to them. The FA represents more than those 6 clubs.

My post from the other section.

• Like 1
  • Love 1