Official :6 English teams agree to Super League

10 hours ago, T Hardy said:

They’ve agreed to do a different European competition that’s not the Champions League but will have less games like Man Utd vs Standard Liege and more Man Utd vs Barcelona? What exactly is the massive deal here? It’s totally going over my head.

These clubs will get hundreds of millions more from the competition they are organising. They are so far in front of the rest financially already but this will make the domestic competition far less competitive than it already is.

These founder clubs can't get relegated from their own competition so it is guaranteed money every season.

If by some miracle a club like Leicester wins the PL again, they are not certain to be allowed into the new competition.

The smaller leagues around Europe will be forgotten about. 

4 minutes ago, 442 said:

Why?

I want it to happen. They'll be forgotten about in an instant. Winning the top division or a domestic cup will still be as prestigious as it is/was with them in it.

It potentially gives us a chance to be competitive again.

You want to win a competition that's not really a competition?  What's the point of winning something when you haven't been challenged by the best?   There is no prestige in that.

Can really see fans walking away.

5 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

The Premier League will not take any hardened stance on this because it effects their monies if clubs are punished. The talk of relegations/deductions is fanciful stuff because TV companies will not pay to cover the division when it’s greatest participants for revenues and viewing figures are not in it.

If it happens, which it may well do, the PL will not stop the 'big 6' from being involved in the Prem for the reasons above.

Think of this as the elite Champions League.

The old CL competition will become worthless, that is UEFA's issue, no control and no money.

I'm against it BTW.

How utterly immoral does something have to be , for UEFA and FIFA to turned round and say ' Steady on, that's a bit much!' 

This will happen sooner later, but what these owners and chairmen won't realise is that some players will not want anything to do with it if it comes at the cost of representing their countries.

For example, have Tottenham asked their best players, Harry Kane and Son Hueng Min , whether they actually want to play in this?  Has anyone asked Phil Foden, Neymar and Erling Haaland? 

This super league will die on it's arse if players refuse to have anything to do with it, and I think some will reject it out of hand. 

10 hours ago, T Hardy said:

I’m really into NFL, so no promotion/relegation doesn’t bother me at all 

But the NFL at least has rules in place to try and make the closed shop a more level playing field.

Would you be happy if all football stopped promotion and relegation as of next season and we were forever to be a 3rd division club? 

9 minutes ago, Liam_Baggies said:

The Premier League will not take any hardened stance on this because it effects their monies if clubs are punished. The talk of relegations/deductions is fanciful stuff because TV companies will not pay to cover the division when it’s greatest participants for revenues and viewing figures are not in it.

You are probably right, but the clubs won't play their strongest sides saving their top players for the new league.  Which will weaken the appeal of the league to the TV Companies anyway.  

There is not one bright spot to this new venture.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

It may allow Celtic and Rangers to enter the Re structured Premiership

Let's hope not.

What right do foreign clubs have to enter the upper echelons of English football?  It's the same arrogant nonsense that the European Super League is about.

• Like 3

Just now, Bannofan said:

How utterly immoral does something have to be , for UEFA and FIFA to turned round and say ' Steady on, that's a bit much!' 

This will happen sooner later, but what these owners and chairmen won't realise is that some players will not want anything to do with it if it comes at the cost of representing their countries.

For example, have Tottenham asked their best players, Harry Kane and Son Hueng Min , whether they actually want to play in this?  Has anyone asked Phil Foden, Neymar and Erling Haaland? 

This super league will die on it's arse if players refuse to have anything to do with it, and I think some will reject it out of hand. 

Not a chance.

Harry Kane, I'm not playing in that, I want out.

Where would you like to play Harry?

A big club, Barca, Real, City, Man U.....oh wait.

££££££££

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Therealrealist said:

The PL wont kick them out..imagine negoaiting the next tv rights without those 6 in the league...nobody overseas is interested in burnley v wolves etc

The alternative is to be reduced to the status of permanent jobbers for the 'Super Six'.  

This will kill Premiership TV money anyway by putting it in direct competition with the new HyperGlobalMegaballFranchise competition.  The Chinese and Middle Eastern 'fans' won't be interested in watching Man Utd's reserves against Burnley or Wolves either.  

fizz them.  Kick them out and let them wallow in their TV money.  Ban their players from international competitions.  Let it be known that the FA will look favourably on their actual supporters setting up phoenix clubs and even let them keep all the ex-club's honours.  

Just now, Manwë said:

Let's hope not.

What right do foreign clubs have to enter the upper echelons of English football?  It's the same arrogant nonsense that the European Super League is about.

Exactly.

Taking Rangers and Celtic out of Scottish football to compete somewhere more 'lucrative' is no different from what these clubs are trying to do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, T Hardy said:

Oh yeah believe me I know any realistic prospect of us in the Prem is 5-10 years away, I just know now that any team like us, if we ever get to the Premier League as it stands, the best we can hope for is 7th and we’ll lose our best players as soon as we get there. If the Sky 6 ahead of us aren’t in the league, we’ve got a chance of actually winning a league. I’d rather that than battling for 7th if we ever get there, then accepting life as a bottom table Premier League side.

The point is, as you have said in this thread yourself, these 6 don't want to leave the Premier League. They want their cake and eat it. With the money that JP Morgan and whatever TV deals they sign up to are throwing at this in their back pocket, if they are allowed to remain in the domestic leagues then everyone else might as well not bother.  

The pandemic has to some extent exposed how financially weak some of these elite clubs are.  They cant keep the bubble going under current structure.  

The Champions league is a bit of a waste of time here in the UK to be honest.  Not many people watch it on BT sport.  The premier league games on sky get 1 to 1.5m usually.  The truth is - not many people in the UK are watching football on TV.  Football at this level has become a twitter/ youtube highlights sport for the masses.  I have no idea why people are complaining about this so much, the massive damage to football and football watching was done a long time ago.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Hopefully we might be able to then restructure and make the domestic game much more fairer. 

If they want to leave and have their own closed shop then I for one certainly won’t be watching and expect millions of others too. 

I still don’t think this will happen though. Player power will stop it I think. If their players are suddenly banned from FIFA and UEFA comps then I can’t see how it would work. 

17 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You want to win a competition that's not really a competition?  What's the point of winning something when you haven't been challenged by the best?   There is no prestige in that.

Can really see fans walking away.

The leagues will be more competitive than they have been for years.

Bring it on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The point is, as you have said in this thread yourself, these 6 don't want to leave the Premier League. They want their cake and eat it. With the money that JP Morgan and whatever TV deals they sign up to are throwing at this in their back pocket, if they are allowed to remain in the domestic leagues then everyone else might as well not bother.  

They will definitely be using it as a midweek competition to test the waters before they switch to a full European league season